Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking a trip down memory lane in another discussion thread, where we were discussing the potential Christian had back in 2005, I felt compelled to make this thread to tribute my favorite character in wrestling - which was Christian's captain charisma character of 2005.

In actuality his character developed before 2005, with Christian referring to himself as captain charisma long before 2005, but it was 2005 that was his stand-out year in the WWE, and it's the year that most people fondly remember him from. So it's from that basis that I decide to title the thread in this way.

In my opinion his captain charisma character was first properly introduced at Survivor series 2004. Where in a match with Shelton Benjamin, he debuted a new theme song, and came to the ring in a epic looking hoodie, which would become a staple in his entrance attire from this point forward.

That match can be seen here:

His entrances were a big part of why I loved his character. It was so unique at the time. His original waterproof blonde theme, in combination with his great entrance attire made his entrances quite the spectacle.

Examples of Christian's classic entrances here (I'm not going to embed this videos because I don't want to make this thread too long):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awj4xw2wM-0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu0E0Sz9dSw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ebFr0DNdk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6by3Oilxxc&feature=related

His promos were arguably what made he's character so popular at the time. It was during this time that people discovered that Christian was great on the mic, WWE probably noticed this and gave him more mic time, but they never pushed him for it...

Examples of great Christian promos/moments during his captain charisma character:

Now onto his matches. Christian's always been a great in-ring worker who was putting on great matches on a regular basis, however many of his matches during the time had almost no significance because he wasn't getting pushed and he didn't have big storylines and main-event feuds like other guys were getting at the time. Nonetheless, these few matches I will post I feel were his best matches at the time:

Christian had so much potential back then it was unreal. Despite being one of the best in-ring workers and mic-workers at the time, in addition to being over as fuck, having a great character/gimmick and selling good merchandise, WWE did fuck all with him. I realize with the rise of John Cena and Batista at the time, Christian was never going to be huge, but he should of at least won a World Title during this time. He was gold back then. It was because of this Christian, that he became my favorite wrestler of all time.

·
Premium Member
44,377 Posts
Simply put, he was awesome and that should have been the time to make a huge star out of him.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
He should have remained in the feud between Jericho and Cena in 2005 when Jericho left after SummerSlam. Instead, they buried him into "nowhere land" to an extent that he just chose to leave to TNA. He should have been given the title from Cena at some point in 2005, preferably around Unforgiven instead of feeding Kurt Angle to Cena which led to what we all recognize as the "mixed reaction" and "dual chants" for Cena.

Still, am glad he will he go down in history as a two time World Heavyweight Champion, despite never having a single successful title defense.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
He was one of the most over wrestler's on the roster. Deserved to be a huge star and a multi time world champ. Reminds me of D-Bry now (not comparing talents, just circumstances).

·
Registered
526 Posts
Man Christian was awesome in 2005. He was so entertaining and I loved him with Tyson Tomko.
He had so much potential and was super over with the crowd;it's a shame WWE didn't push him.
No wonder he left in 2005.

He had an awesome theme song too.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
As far as his entire career in this WWE goes, 2005 should of been his year. Always thought the guy was a solid competitor. But it wasn't until 2005 that it was put into stone, that I'm a Christian fan. That was also his hottest period being apart of the WWE roster. Like previously stated he should of continued in the feud with Cena, even after Jericho left.

Even though he was one of the better NWA Champions from this past decade.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,214 Posts
I've been a huge fan of him since he cut his hair. Everything he does is pretty much awesome.

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
Like I said in the other thread related to Christian, the fact that they made Chris Jericho be in the WWE title picture with John Cena/Christian at Vengeance 2005 leave a bad taste in my mouth. It was one of the things that ruined Christian's momentum.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
Christian was at his absolute best in 2005, talk about epic! The "Captain Charisma" gimmick was perfect! He could have easily become a main-eventer at that time, but WWE totally dropped the ball on him. So much potential and talent wasted. While most wanted Jericho to win at Vengeance, I personally was rooting for Christian to win.

·
HEADBANGA
23,465 Posts
He was over as fuck. He was ready to be a big time player but the WWE had other plans for him. I think if he stayed he would've been a main eventer down the line.

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I said in the other thread related to Christian, the fact that they made Chris Jericho be in the WWE title picture with John Cena/Christian at Vengeance 2005 leave a bad taste in my mouth. It was one of the things that ruined Christian's momentum.
It should of been Cena/Christian, considering they had a little mini-feud going at the time from The Royal Rumble 2005 (see the battle rap video I posted) and Christian was more relevant and over than Jericho at the time. However it was Christian's only PPV main-event match during his 2005 run, so it's therefore one of his most memorable matches because of that, and it was a great, underrated, back-and-forth match in addition. You're right though, it did ruin Christian's momentum and he slowly drifted into irrelevancy after that (especially when they drafted him to SmackDown).

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
It was criminal that they didn't put the title on him in 2005. One of the biggest ball drops in WWE history IMO. Bah it's annoying.

Although I have to say because of it, it possibly did set up one of my biggest feel good moments in WWE when Christian finally got the title last year.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
He was freaking awesome in 2005. He was in his prime and he had everything going for him - besides Vince McMahon's approval. It's a shame too. He definitely deserved better...good promos, wrestling, fucking over with the crowd. How the hell do you ignore that? It makes my heart want to break.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
he was ready for a push similar to the one edge had. but wwe always wanted him to remain in edges shadow hence he left.

·
Premium Member
8,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Although I have to say because of it, it possibly did set up one of my biggest feel good moments in WWE when Christian finally got the title last year.
I agree. At 21:00 in this video. Just listen to the crowd when he wins the title, apparently that means nothing to Vince...

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Overrated.
In 2005 he was leeching off John Cena's heat like so many others.

Notice when he went to Smackdown and stopped talking about Cena his pops died.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Almost had it all.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
I agree. At 21:00 in this video. Just listen to the crowd when he wins the title, apparently that means nothing to Vince...

Was obviously the best match of 2011

But on topic, he was great in 2005, I would consider it his peak, but for some reaosn the WWE just didnt want it that way. Which was a shame because he was totally over on the mic at the time.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts