Wrestling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Post'n Errry Now and Then
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 98 they aired these Cornette Worked shoots. I got into wrestling around this time but don't remember much I was young. What were they planning on doing?

·
Registered
251 Posts
According to Cornette himself, it wasn't a storyline it was just something he was doing on the webshow they had at the time. Someone decided he ought to do it on the air. They stopped doing it, again according to Cornette, because it got over which pissed off Vince Russo who then got it axed because they pair didn't get along.

Reactions: jpickens

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Back in the Attitude Era they were known for doing random things out of nowhere, testing to see if they would work or not. If not who cared, it's dropped and no one heard of it again, and if it worked than all the better and they continued with it. Some of the ones that were dropped were GTV, Jim Ross heel turns (twice in fact, but to be fair the crowd just didn't buy it and cheered him).

·
Likes wrestling....
8,737 Posts
I maybe wrong but I thought these were just to lay the groundwork for his NWA stable with the Rock n Roll Express and Jeff Jarrett and maybe Southern Justice (Godwins)?. He would talk about how the new world of pro wrestling sucked, and that he was going to usher in a new age. Maynot be right but it was I thought of immediatly and it was in 1998.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I maybe wrong but I thought these were just to lay the groundwork for his NWA stable with the Rock n Roll Express and Jeff Jarrett and maybe Southern Justice (Godwins)?. He would talk about how the new world of pro wrestling sucked, and that he was going to usher in a new age. Maynot be right but it was I thought of immediatly and it was in 1998.
I don't think they had planned it like that going in. I think it caught fire and they tried to transition it into a storyline. Even the promo where they started moving in that direction felt more "worked shoot" than the others. Russo more or less copped to setting it up to fail.

·
Registered
12,030 Posts
These promos were excellent. Cornette didn't even particularly want to do them, but they wanted some trash talk and they got over with people. Vince Russo used them to segue into the "new NWA" idea, which Cornette hated and was an attempt to bury "old school" wrestling.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,737 Posts
These promos were excellent. Cornette didn't even particularly want to do them, but they wanted some trash talk and they got over with people. Vince Russo used them to segue into the "new NWA" idea, which Cornette hated and was an attempt to bury "old school" wrestling.

Wondering if there is a bad Cornette promo?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.