Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was wrong with David Arquette winning the WCW title? I understand the belt was prestige and fans felt it mocked the history of the belt but I was just watching an interview by Vince Russo and he said it actually was good for global reasons as Arquette and WCW were front pages of news.

I wasn't a wrestling fan back when he won it but I still don't understand why fans label this moment 'the day it killed WCW'.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
Because it took a massive dump on the belt. it'd be the equivelant of Charlie Sheen winning it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
What was wrong with David Arquette winning the WCW title? I understand the belt was prestige and fans felt it mocked the history of the belt but I was just watching an interview by Vince Russo and he said it actually was good for global reasons as Arquette and WCW were front pages of news.

I wasn't a wrestling fan back when he won it but I still don't understand why fans label this moment 'the day it killed WCW'.
The part of your post I highlighted shows why you don't understand.

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But is that the only reason why fans disliked it? because of the prestige of the belt?

I understand but how about all the global news it made and the element of surprise?

·
Registered
234 Posts

There answered.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Because it was stupid. Pretty simple

·
Registered
4,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What does everyone think about this video;

If it got good ratings, surely that makes it a good show? Were WCW competing with the WWF at the time?

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
Russo answered your question. Basically it was great for publicity. But, in WCW, back then (in any wrestling back then), publicity with celebs were not that important. It was a stunt that paid off in terms of "OMG HE IS THE CHAMPION!" and had thousands of fans of wrestling saying "okay... so are they trying to annoy us"?

·
Registered
234 Posts
What does everyone think about this video;

If it got good ratings, surely that makes it a good show? Were WCW competing with the WWF at the time?
Like a person said in the comments, Giving Arquette the title didnt turn one single person into a pro wrestling fan but it disgusted most if not all pro wrestling fans.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Example number 1 of why Vince Russo should never be in charge. Talented writer, but a terrible exec who needs a very firm leash, and a very firm hand to slap him upside the head.

Russo was a big believer in "Any publicity is good publicity" but what he didn't understand is that publicity is only good if it doesn't make your operation look bush league by comparison or show utter contempt for your core fan base. Remember, unlike WWE fans today, WCW fans had a major alternative they could flip over to when things got extra stupid.

And, why are you listening to Vince Russo on this? This man can rationalize starting a land war in Asia.

·
Asuka
96,571 Posts
What was wrong with David Arquette winning the WCW title? I understand the belt was prestige and fans felt it mocked the history of the belt
No, apparently you don't. That's exactly what was wrong with it. It was a complete slap in the face to anybody who ever held the title, and ESPECIALLY anyone who didn't.

·
Banned
2,968 Posts
Even I wasn't watching back then and I can understand why this was a shit idea... :russo

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
The company was struggling more than ever, with it's death becoming more and more evident. So, they give the title to a joke of an actor, to promote a terrible movie?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Think about the great wrestlers that have won that belt, wrestlers who have worked hard most of their lives and had to work hard just to get a chance to even be thought of being the champion ergo the face of WCW.

And then think of this guy winning it for a week of front-page headlines.

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
It was completely unnecessary and was only done for promotional purposes. It would be like if the three stooges won the WWE, WHC and IC title's. Basically it completely shits on everyone who worked their ass off to get close to the title.

·
Banned
4,921 Posts
If people don't have a problem with Miz winning, I don't see why they should have a problem with Arquette winning.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts