Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I'm a little late of this guys, finally caught all of Genesis 2011 and was wondering what TNA was thinking with the whole Jarrett v Angle MMA style match?

It puzzles me that this kind of crap is passed through any form of quality control and aired for 10-15 minutes of a PPV.

If they're trying to get MMA people interested in TNA it just made TNA look totally stupid and I question if it was worth TNA looking stupid to promote the Jarrett/Angle feud when the value of the ex-wife is exponentially better.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
the same intention they had when they tried to push the hell out of the jersey shore gimmick, to atract the audience from MMA, wich of course failed as they keep having the same rating over and over again (making JJ drop the gimmick right after genesis)

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Is this supposed to be a rhetorical question? MMA is popular and drawing huge numbers. TNA is not so popular and floundering at the same rating for months upon months.

What could the motivation be?

·
Fedor's cornerman.
1,331 Posts
the same intention they had when they tried to push the hell out of the jersey shore gimmick, to atract the audience from MMA, wich of course failed as they keep having the same rating over and over again (making JJ drop the gimmick right after genesis)
It could have worked if they picked someone better and actually knew how to apply hold properly. Never have I seen a rear naked choke done so bad.

·
Number 30 in the Rumble
1,629 Posts
It could have worked if they picked someone better and actually knew how to apply hold properly. Never have I seen a rear naked choke done so bad.
Yeah, if they did a real MMA style match with two guys that work that type of match well, it could definitely attract MMA fans. MMA is big, people like that style of fighting, TNA could definitely attract viewers if that had MMA matches every so often and, it's a match type WWE doesn't use, so in pro wrestling would be a unique gimmick match to TNA, but if they do it should be with two guys that can work an MMA match and it should be a feud-ending match.

·
Islander
22 Posts
I brought this up on another forum and got the reponse of "it's meant to look bad to get the heat". I didn't really agree with that sentiment but there were quite a few that did.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
TNA had a MMA match in No Surrender 2008 featuring AJ Styles and Frank Trigg. It was pissed over by the crowd, with chants of "We Want Wrestling", "Fire Russo" and "This is Bullshit". To make it even more hilarious, TNA had camera shots of the crowd chanting these things. You can check it out on DailyMotion.

Obviously they hadn't learned their lesson. If any of these Jeff Jarrett MMA matches were outside the Impact Zone, they would be fucked over by the crowd.

·
Registered
12,478 Posts
Thats the point though. He's meant to be in a way mocking MMA because of Samoa Joe and Kurt Angle.Ever noticed that both guys do that kinda stuff?Joe trains with I think xtreme couture and Angle has been wanting to try MMA for years. So you can say he was mocking them and the sport just to get heat and it did.

TNA had a MMA match in No Surrender 2008 featuring AJ Styles and Frank Trigg. It was pissed over by the crowd, with chants of "We Want Wrestling", "Fire Russo" and "This is Bullshit". To make it even more hilarious, TNA had camera shots of the crowd chanting these things. You can check it out on DailyMotion.

Obviously they hadn't learned their lesson. If any of these Jeff Jarrett MMA matches were outside the Impact Zone, they would be fucked over by the crowd.
I was at that PPV, it was kinda gay because at the time AJ like THE top face and we got to see him in an MMA match?So lame

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Anyone who thinks this was TNA attempting to appeal to an MMA audience is a retard.

They clearly did it for two reasons:

A) To play into Jarrett's spoof MMA gimmick.

and

B) So they could put Angle vs Jarrett on the card without actually having to give away the match yet. Obviously they want to build more heat before putting them in a match against each other.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
To try and pull in mma fans, although say you do attract these fans, your just gonna lose them down the road when you revert back to wrestling.

Also tna doesn't build up anything, they gave away a free hardy boyz reunion on impact.

·
Banned
315 Posts
I figure they're gonna blow off the Angle/Jarrett feud via the cage, a la Angle/Joe from Lockdown '08.

·
Banned
4,257 Posts
Sorry if I'm a little late of this guys, finally caught all of Genesis 2011 and was wondering what TNA was thinking with the whole Jarrett v Angle MMA style match?

It puzzles me that this kind of crap is passed through any form of quality control and aired for 10-15 minutes of a PPV.

If they're trying to get MMA people interested in TNA it just made TNA look totally stupid and I question if it was worth TNA looking stupid to promote the Jarrett/Angle feud when the value of the ex-wife is exponentially better.
Kurt Angle and Jeff Jarrett had proven to have awesome matches together, so TNA was driven to prove that they could somehow manage to have the two work together again and produce a shitty match.

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
Is this supposed to be a rhetorical question? MMA is popular and drawing huge numbers. TNA is not so popular and floundering at the same rating for months upon months.

What could the motivation be?
If you're implying that TNA is mimicking MMA to attract the MMA audience, then you would be wrong. It's just an angle to make Jarrett come off as a tool. TNA already assumes most of their fans are familiar with MMA because of the UFC programs Spike airs.

TNA has done some very stupid things, but even I wouldn't assume they were stupid enough to think Jeff Jarrett wrestling an "MMA match" would attract the real MMA audience. That would probably be the most idiotic thing in the history of wrestling. That's on David Arquette levels right there.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Logical progression of the story. It's nothing new in wrestling to use a match borne out of both characters gimmicks.

·
Registered
984 Posts

None of the links work. Anyone have a working video for the Frank Trigg fight?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If you're implying that TNA is mimicking MMA to attract the MMA audience, then you would be wrong. It's just an angle to make Jarrett come off as a tool. TNA already assumes most of their fans are familiar with MMA because of the UFC programs Spike airs.

TNA has done some very stupid things, but even I wouldn't assume they were stupid enough to think Jeff Jarrett wrestling an "MMA match" would attract the real MMA audience. That would probably be the most idiotic thing in the history of wrestling. That's on David Arquette levels right there.
jenna morasca vs sharmell begs to differ

·
Registered
752 Posts
A friend of mine, who does not watch wrestling, suggested the MMA thing to me a few months before Jarrett did it. I thought it was a stupid idea, but he talked like it was something that he thought they should do. I guess if they want new viewers they should appease those who don't watch. I don't know.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts