Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Birth of Austin 3:16

Votes: 55 76.4%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
FAKE HAPPY
12,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Officially it is considered the Montreal Screwjob, when Bret Hart left WWF for WCW. But could it be the birth of Austin 3:16 at King of the Ring 1996? He done that, what was never done before him. He was probably the first badass wrestler in the history.

What do you think, guys?

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
Austin 3:16 promo is wher Attitude Era started for me.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Austin. Thread over

·
Banned
914 Posts
Austin 3:16 laid the seeds. Although creatively, I think it started with the original DX, it's when I really began to notice the shift of WWE wrestlers to more edgier characterisations.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Seeds were being planted as early as late '95 with the creation of Goldust and some of the adult angles they were tackling.

Throw in risque Sunny segments, Diesel's tweener shtick where he's flipping Taker off & swearing then there was Roddy Piper/Goldust Street Fight @ Mania 12.

I'd say the era dawned in late '97 though with the McMahon promo ushering the Attitude era in.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
It was conceived with the Austin 3:16 promo...It was born at WM 14 when he won the belt. (I know the pregnancy analogy isn't that great, but IMO that's the best way to describe my opinion)

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
I dont think it was just Austin there was many different reasons.
A lot of new talent coming through the ranks, ECW ending, Monday Night Wars, WCW struggling.

WWE took a lot from ECW, look at the early 1990's when wrestling was very family orientated and cartoonish, Attitude era was full of sick stipulation matches, blood, subjectifying women, sexual content, weird fucked up content like katie vic. This era was going to happen any way and it needed a leader to push it on forward, the foundation where set but then came along Stone Cold followed by The Rock and pushed it all to a new level.

Also the difference i back then the top card talented consisted of about 10 people who could all and did all main event, the mid carders back then could all main event today.

·
Banned
390 Posts
AUSTIN 3:16 was the true birth of attitude era.

Only Bret and hbk marks, who cant handle the fact that their fav wrestlers were never part of AE, would claim montreal screwjob as the birth of AE.

Austin was Attitude. Bret was just a whiny little bitch and Shawn was a crackhead, nothing more. I LOST MY SMILE!!!11

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
Screwjob. You could have Austin be the same beer drinking, Hell raising, son of a bitch. But the Screwjob made the McMahon character. It started with McMahon.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I dont think it was just Austin there was many different reasons.
A lot of new talent coming through the ranks, ECW ending, Monday Night Wars, WCW struggling.

WWE took a lot from ECW, look at the early 1990's when wrestling was very family orientated and cartoonish, Attitude era was full of sick stipulation matches, blood, subjectifying women, sexual content, weird fucked up content like katie vic. This era was going to happen any way and it needed a leader to push it on forward, the foundation where set but then came along Stone Cold followed by The Rock and pushed it all to a new level.

Also the difference i back then the top card talented consisted of about 10 people who could all and did all main event, the mid carders back then could all main event today.
Why is this such a common misconception? Katie Vick did not take place in the Attitude Era. It took place in late 2002, long after the Attitude Era had finished. If you want to reference fucked up Attitude shit, reference Mae Young's hand. Gross and tasteless storylines were not unique to the Attitude Era.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Why is this such a common misconception? Katie Vick did not take place in the Attitude Era. It took place in late 2002, long after the Attitude Era had finished. If you want to reference fucked up Attitude shit, reference Mae Young's hand. Gross and tasteless storylines were not unique to the Attitude Era.
I did mean Gross Tasteless storylines. I think things like that brought a darkness and "attitude" to the era.

Like you say they were not exclusive to the attitude era.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts