Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,746 Posts
Joke's on them cause the next night, Reigns was booed for over 15 minutes. The heat that he got makes X-Pac heat look like Austin's return on RAW (when he stunned each and every member of the WCW/ECW alliance).

It was the first time in WWE history where the crowd literally yelled at a wrestler to "GO AWAY!!!!".
Among MANY other negative things :bosque

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,412 Posts
I personally believe that Taker fully intended for that moment to be him retiring at Mania 33. Put over the young lion, end the show on a goodbye, and a stadium giving a legend big respect. Sad, sure, but a memorable way to end WrestleMania.

But then I think he let Vince get into his head and convince him to come back here and there for these dumb Saudi shows.

I can just hear Vince on the phone with one of his manipulative "I need ya pal!" talks.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Never know what a wrestler really has in the bank (and Taker has numerous kids and ex-wives). I imagine Taker is also more addicted to the spotlight than he cares to admit. Once Taker finally hangs it up for good, with his character, what is he going to do besides watch his family, make a convention appearance here and there and talk about his illustrious career to marks (something Taker probably doesn't care for, given his only on-camera out-of-character interviews since returning to Deadman even at his advanced age are for a pastor that's either his friend or his pastor and being a short part of a documentary intended to help indy wrestlers).

On a deeper speculative level, Undertaker's hero growing up was Nolan Ryan (HOF pitcher who had freakish, never-seen-before-or-since longevity who pitched probably hundreds of thousands of pitches before finally at 46 he was forced out from injury). He is also IIRC the son of a war sergeant. Perhaps those two factors have a huge influence in Taker not hanging it up well past the sands of his athletic time running out.
He has a real estate business to run.

If Taker's salary has been $1.5M as reported, retiring in 2012 would have been giving up almost $10M since then for minimal work. His legacy is already secure...why not keep going?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Taker shoulda retired after Mania 30. I think we all can agree on that.

Taker moves onto a feud with Roman Reigns a few years later. The feud was a complete shit show but could have had potential if the WWE gave it a good story, but as we all know, the WWE forgot how to tell stories years ago.

I guess the implicit story they were trying to convey was that Taker was the ageing, stubborn gunslinger refusing to go down and a young star, a young rival was finally going to mercifully try and put him down for good. I don't know if anyone has read The Shootist or watched the movie, but they could have taken some inspiration from that... but hey WWE cant tell stories anymore so moving on...

Taker leaves all his gear in the ring and seems to ceremoniously retire, a genuinely emotional and memorable moment

... then he returns to have a series of shit show matches where he can barely move and almost paralyzes himself, for what reason? What was the point of the match with Roman Reigns now? How does he officially retire for good..?
He SHOULD have retired on a high note at WM28 in that 'end of an era' match against HHH, easily one of his best matches and it told the perfect story. IMO, the match should have been over by that Sweet Chin Music to a Pedigree combo idc what anyone says. But I think because of how close they were to the 30th anniversary of Wrestlemania they wanted to keep it going; which they did.
But realistically, he should have retired after his feud with Brock Lesnar in 2015. Lesnar beating the streak, and Taker getting his win back and having a sendoff at Survivor Series where he first debuted would have been fine with me. That feud was the last time I think I actually liked old man Taker.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
So wanting Hogan somehow negates wanting Undertaker?

By not knowing they passed away "decades" earlier.

I'm pretty sure that isn't making their list of "must have" information.
They never once mentioned him by name. The only one they specifically asked for was Hogan. Some minister from the Saudi Sports Authority also tweeted in Arabic and put Hogan's picture there too indicating as such. That tells me that they asked WWE for Hogan. I didn't see something like this for any other superstar.

Perhaps I missed something, what proof do you have that they asked for any other wrestler for GRR or the recent Super Showdown besides Hogan?

·
Premium Member
14,797 Posts
They never once mentioned him by name. The only one they specifically asked for was Hogan. Some minister from the Saudi Sports Authority also tweeted in Arabic and put Hogan's picture there too indicating as such. That tells me that they asked WWE for Hogan. I didn't see something like this for any other superstar.

Perhaps they did specifically ask for him for the Crown Jewel show, which is the show the tweet pertained to and was more about the Saudis downplaying the fact that Qatar was getting the 2022 FIFA World Cup. The entire premise of Crown Jewel was a "fuck you, we got our own World Cup" to Qatar. Translating the tweet all but reads as that.

I'm talking about the Greatest Royal Rumble and how, I repeat, I think the deal was largely dependent on Taker's involvement.

And hey, I can be completely wrong in that thought. But, don't use some non-translated, out of context tweet from six months down the line as a way of saying what I think is wrong.

Perhaps I missed something, what proof do you have that they asked for any other wrestler for GRR or the recent Super Showdown besides Hogan?

I got Mohammad on speed dial.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It's just a job to Taker.

That's what I think. He does what he's told, as he always has. Throughout his career, it's been his biggest strength. But see, that's also his biggest weakness.

He don't know how to tell Vince NO. Probably he's the kind of guy who thinks he's owes Vince forever.

At this point in 2019, he should have told Vince to kiss his ass, like any reasonable vet would. He does not benefit from doing any favors for Vince. Only Vince does.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It's just a job to Taker.

That's what I think. He does what he's told, as he always has. Throughout his career, it's been his biggest strength. But see, that's also his biggest weakness.

He don't know how to tell Vince NO. Probably he's the kind of guy who thinks he's owes Vince forever.

At this point in 2019, he should have told Vince to kiss his ass, like any reasonable vet would. He does not benefit from doing any favors for Vince. Only Vince does.
He can always say no. I’ll bet he’s making a lot of money to do these shows. And he probably thinks he can still do them. Guys tend to wrestle into their 60s or even later. That’s just how it is. And I’ll bet they go back and forth about retiring 100 times.

·
Registered
104 Posts
He can always say no. I’ll bet he’s making a lot of money to do these shows. And he probably thinks he can still do them. Guys tend to wrestle into their 60s or even later. That’s just how it is. And I’ll bet they go back and forth about retiring 100 times.

Taker is beat up and has health problems. It is known through the dirt sheets that he is in bad shape and him being tall is double negative when one gets older in the ring. Taker made a lot of money in WWE unless he misused his finances and he is supplementing Michelle's lifestyle, it makes no sense for him to still be wrestling at his age. He can always be a consultant, a lot of consultants make a ton of money. This coddling of this is all he knows is just an enabling people like him to get back in the ring and make more fools of themselves.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Among MANY other negative things :bosque
:lol Yep. I was there, never heard quite so many F bombs hurled a wrestler's way live in person (My first live show was in the Ruthless Aggression Era, would be different if I was an American going to Attitude Era shows). WWE did a good job editing out all the "Fuck you Roman" and "shut the fuck up" chants in that video on the last page.

I think WM33 was meant to be Taker's retirement. The reason they didn't explicitly say it or harp on it, they wanted to have the Undertaker in the chamber in case they were desperate for one big Mania match a few years down the track. If Taker had stepped away completely after the Reigns match, maybe there'd be rumours flying around of Undertaker facing AJ next year in Tampa or something.

But money talks, especially Saudi money. I know some like to get on their high horse and blast Taker for taking the pay-off, selling out, being a hypocrite or whatever... if somehow you were offered $2 million dollars for 10 minutes work, I highly doubt you would turn it down.

Plus Taker's been a company guy for almost 30 years. If Vince asks, he's going to do it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Think he meant to retire after wm32 when he literally threw in his gloves. But match with Shane was shit so he was open to another match. Match with Reigns was shit and opt to have more matches.

Been having shit matches since.

·
Ho!
17,552 Posts
Think he meant to retire after wm32 when he literally threw in his gloves. But match with Shane was shit so he was open to another match. Match with Reigns was shit and opt to have more matches.

I think this is the issue. Not only is he old and broken down, but they give him shit opponent after shit opponent.

If he's really looking to go out on a good-great note, the ONLY chance of that at this point (that's also a relatively big star in the realm of WWE) I think is Daniel Bryan. Someone that's small enough that Taker can do his big moves on without it being too physically exhausting for Taker. Someone that could (and probably would) bump like hell for him while also having a convincing offensive repertoire of their own. Someone who's actually got a good mind for the business and presumably knows how to work around Taker's weaknesses. Not to mention while it may not be a mega-match, it can still be a big match with the right build for a Wrestlemania. Heck, if you have Bryan tap Taker out in what's billed as a "if Taker loses he retires" match, it would also be a great way of Taker himself indicating through character that he's done and he's ready to give it up.

And let's be honest... it's not like there are really any bigger stars than Bryan that Taker could face that he hasn't fought in the recent past that is still an active wrestler/could probably return to wrestling. I mean, the only guys I can think of off the top of my head are Cena and Rock. Both are too pre-occupied with Hollywood right now for that. And neither I think would bring Taker to a good match at this point.

·
Registered
349 Posts

I think this is the issue. Not only is he old and broken down, but they give him shit opponent after shit opponent.

If he's really looking to go out on a good-great note, the ONLY chance of that at this point (that's also a relatively big star in the realm of WWE) I think is Daniel Bryan. Someone that's small enough that Taker can do his big moves on without it being too physically exhausting for Taker. Someone that could (and probably would) bump like hell for him while also having a convincing offensive repertoire of their own. Someone who's actually got a good mind for the business and presumably knows how to work around Taker's weaknesses. Not to mention while it may not be a mega-match, it can still be a big match with the right build for a Wrestlemania. Heck, if you have Bryan tap Taker out in what's billed as a "if Taker loses he retires" match, it would also be a great way of Taker himself indicating through character that he's done and he's ready to give it up.

And let's be honest... it's not like there are really any bigger stars than Bryan that Taker could face that he hasn't fought in the recent past that is still an active wrestler/could probably return to wrestling. I mean, the only guys I can think of off the top of my head are Cena and Rock. Both are too pre-occupied with Hollywood right now for that. And neither I think would bring Taker to a good match at this point.
They did do vs Cena. And that was a squash.

At this rate undertaker will never retire.
:lmao

41 - 55 of 55 Posts