Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taker shoulda retired after Mania 30. I think we all can agree on that.

Taker moves onto a feud with Roman Reigns a few years later. The feud was a complete shit show but could have had potential if the WWE gave it a good story, but as we all know, the WWE forgot how to tell stories years ago.

I guess the implicit story they were trying to convey was that Taker was the ageing, stubborn gunslinger refusing to go down and a young star, a young rival was finally going to mercifully try and put him down for good. I don't know if anyone has read The Shootist or watched the movie, but they could have taken some inspiration from that... but hey WWE cant tell stories anymore so moving on...

Taker leaves all his gear in the ring and seems to ceremoniously retire, a genuinely emotional and memorable moment

... then he returns to have a series of shit show matches where he can barely move and almost paralyzes himself, for what reason? What was the point of the match with Roman Reigns now? How does he officially retire for good..?

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,409 Posts
You know they call Raw "the longest running weekly episodic dhjdksghksksksidj of all time"?

Well it's not. It's not episodic. It's more like an anthology of standalone stories that have zero continuity to each other

Think of like Black Mirror or The Twilight Zone. That's how you watch the WWE. As if what you're seeing will mean nothing next week

·
Banned
4,891 Posts

What makes it funny is Taker used to be one of those guys who said he wouldn't outstay his welcome and talked shit about guys like Hogan for not knowing when to quit. Now he's a laughing stock and hurts his legacy every time he appears. He should have retired after the 2nd match with HBK.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does he even retire now for good after Mania 33 though?

Does he quietly retire after the shitshow that was tonight and does the WWE now try to do a Chris Benoit on Taker's matches post Reigns?

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
almost certainly he retired but wwe was running those crown jewel shows and offered him a shit load of cash to come back. Thats why his match with cena was so short because he wasnt brought in for that, WM 34 was just a means re-introducing him so his retirement was somewhat addressed. Thats why he didnt wrestle at mania 35, hes just riding on the cheques wwe is throwing out for these network PPVs.

pretty funny that he criticised hogan who was about 46 at the time for continuing to wrestle and yet taker is 54 and is still making an arse out of himself. Hypocrite doesnt cover it.

If taker retired in 2012 it wouldve been correct and sad, taker retiring in 2019 would likely be met with "meh, about time", specially after that fake out.

Reactions: Tag89

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
Never know what a wrestler really has in the bank (and Taker has numerous kids and ex-wives). I imagine Taker is also more addicted to the spotlight than he cares to admit. Once Taker finally hangs it up for good, with his character, what is he going to do besides watch his family, make a convention appearance here and there and talk about his illustrious career to marks (something Taker probably doesn't care for, given his only on-camera out-of-character interviews since returning to Deadman even at his advanced age are for a pastor that's either his friend or his pastor and being a short part of a documentary intended to help indy wrestlers).

On a deeper speculative level, Undertaker's hero growing up was Nolan Ryan (HOF pitcher who had freakish, never-seen-before-or-since longevity who pitched probably hundreds of thousands of pitches before finally at 46 he was forced out from injury). He is also IIRC the son of a war sergeant. Perhaps those two factors have a huge influence in Taker not hanging it up well past the sands of his athletic time running out.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
because he's hypocritical piece of shit who abused his position backstage, then managed to dress the whole thing up as being a 'loyal company man'

not really surprising that he's coming back for some bloodmoney payday even when decrepit

if you want a more constructive answer - i believe he has several ex-wives (and kids) he has to pay for, much like flair

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
If taker is actually struggling for cash and his forcing his broken down body out there just to make ends meet then that is fucking sad. That would be a road to nowhere cause he can't possibly carry on like this for much longer, something is going to end up happening that he cant come back from and that will it, he will be forced to retire.

·
Legends Only
268 Posts
Should have said goodbye after the streak ended. It was his match with Brock in 2015 that made me say" I don't like this anymore" and I didn't watch anything again until 2018 with the chance of seeing Lita in the rumble. I've never watched the Reigns match and have no plans to.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
It turned Roman in the greatest heel in history of wrestling for a couple of days.

Sad they didn't ran with it like they should, keep Taker retired and have Roman remembering everybody hi retired Taker's old ass every five seconds,
and have the complete heel turn.

·
Premium Member
14,892 Posts
I'm under the impression that, at the time, there was a point to it, which is the end of The Undertaker.

However, I think once WWE did the deal with the Saudis, it was largely dependent on The Undertaker being involved. Remember, the story that circulated around was that the Saudis wanted Taker, Yokozuna & Ultimate Warrior on the show. Being loyal to Vince and, based on what I've read in this thread, potentially strapped for cash, Taker hopped on board.

To me, this is worse than whatever the fuck Hogan called himself doing at the start of his TNA run.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Never know what a wrestler really has in the bank (and Taker has numerous kids and ex-wives). I imagine Taker is also more addicted to the spotlight than he cares to admit. Once Taker finally hangs it up for good, with his character, what is he going to do besides watch his family, make a convention appearance here and there and talk about his illustrious career to marks (something Taker probably doesn't care for, given his only on-camera out-of-character interviews since returning to Deadman even at his advanced age are for a pastor that's either his friend or his pastor and being a short part of a documentary intended to help indy wrestlers).

On a deeper speculative level, Undertaker's hero growing up was Nolan Ryan (HOF pitcher who had freakish, never-seen-before-or-since longevity who pitched probably hundreds of thousands of pitches before finally at 46 he was forced out from injury). He is also IIRC the son of a war sergeant. Perhaps those two factors have a huge influence in Taker not hanging it up well past the sands of his athletic time running out.
He is addicted to the spotlight but what makes it different for Taker is that for almost 28 years he played a character/gimmick. A lot of wrestling icons are exxagerated extensions of themselves and a lot of them have been able to make a brand out it and own likeness to their personality.

Taker does not have a brand once he retires. WWE/Vince McMahon owns the Undertaker brand. He will just be regular Texas dude Mark Calaway. His die hards will always be there to support him but most casual wrestling fans will forget about him as the years move on.

I think the great thing that Michelle has done was help him find an identity outside of WWE which is why he is now a Christian and learning to find new leases in his life.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
It was an unintentional symbolic Fuck You to the company for making an old broken down man wrestle guys who do not complement him in the ring.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts