Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I mean, where was the fallout for John? He moved on, as if nothing ever happened. It took away from the spectacle and importance of the match. In the end, he came out, gave a troll speech, then went on to "beat" Lesnar, which in itself was a travesty.

And now, people act like the Rock loss never happened. He spent an entire year in what was his most important and biggest match ever, talking all this shit, ended up getting his ass handed to him, and, that was that.

I understand the wrestlers need to move on, but there's been no net negative for that loss. When Hogan lost to Rock at WM, he came back to his biggest fan fare since the 80's.

When Bret lost to Shawn at WM12, it was slow burn to him eventually going crazy about being screwed and turning heel in early 1997.

When the Mega Powers got too powerful, Macho Man split up, turned heel, and formed a great rivalry with Hogan, which led to a great match with a ton of meaning behind it.

When Austin lost to Rock at WM19, he walked away (legitimately due to injury), but point is, there was a fall out.

What was John's fallout? Really, he was rewarded for the loss. And so be it, he's worked hard, always shows up, does the Make a Wish thing more then anybody else, thus he was given Lesnar on a silver platter.

But it's as if the WWE has erased this loss from happening, no mention of it, no reaction from John himself, no motivation, no asking for a rematch, nothing.

I just don't see the point of it all if this is how it ultimately ends. It would have been a great opportunity to turn around Cena's character. And if not after the loss to Rocky, then maybe being squashed by Lesnar would have given John some "time off" to re-evaluate his life and goals, train harder then ever, and come back with a new and revitalized character. But I guess the WWE can seldom keep Cena off TV, he's their cash cow.

Again, we're back to square 1, as usual, but I've never seen a flame die as quickly as Cena/Rock, especially considering they spent an entire year hyping it up and the "greatest match ever". I understand it was supposedly a match that was a one off, never to be done again, but even then, you would think there would be a fall out on Cena's end. Nope, never happened. So if a match of that caliber, that big, doesn't phase John, then what the fuck does? Do we have to strangle his family member to get his attention?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No no, you guys are misinterpreting what I'm saying. I understand the match was huge, I agree it was huge, I loved the match personally.

I'm referring to the fall out, can someone tell me what the fall out for John was?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Almost every big match has had a fall out for the losing wrestler, or at times the winning wrestler, causing a potential heel turn to sustain the victory (Austin vs. Rock at WM17).

John's biggest match of his career, and since that match, nothing has changed, at all. Is this trend unique to Cena's character? It's been going on for so long, but one would think that after facing his greatest opponent, the closest thing to Hogan he will ever face, and the writers couldn't come up with something more compelling for his character moving forward in light of that loss...that's just lazy writing, I'm sorry, it just is.

·
Munster Mash
3,975 Posts
Months passed, it doesn't matter anymore. That's how it is now. For any significance of mention, we'd probably have to wait until G.I. Joe 3D is finally reworked or whatever and The Rock comes back to promote with Cena talking about him not giving a damn and having The Undertaker's work schedule.

·
Its Yer'sel
6,148 Posts
I think it depends on how fast the Brock negotiations were and when they started, they orginally planned for Cena to win.

A break after the loss would have made sense but with Brock then being available for stroryline, Cena was kept for that.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Months passed, it doesn't matter anymore. That's how it is now. For any significance of mention, we'd probably have to wait until G.I. Joe 3D is finally reworked or whatever and The Rock comes back to promote with Cena talking about him not giving a damn and having The Undertaker's work schedule.
It didn't matter the next day....

So yeah, I could understand why it wouldn't matter months later...

I can't recall a match of that calibur ending that way. Even when Austin lost to Rock at WM19 and he knew it was his last match, the fallout was his little feud with Bischoff, which subsequently led to the Co-GM gig. Rock went on to face Goldberg and call it a career, at the time.

With Cena, it's a revolving circle, and he will soon be back into the title picture...for the 8th year going, and they couldn't come up with a better follow up then beating Lesnar? So I'm to assume, as a fan, that after losing to Rock, he became the toughest son of a bitch in the world, which led him to motivate himself from that loss to Rock to beating Lesnar at Extreme Rules...and now, he's left with more filler feuds, while HHH faces Lesnar at Summerslam. Sloppy, just like the anonymous GM, which was never revealed.

If you're going to give us a start, give us a damn finish.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it depends on how fast the Brock negotiations were and when they started, they orginally planned for Cena to win.

A break after the loss would have made sense but with Brock then being available for stroryline, Cena was kept for that.
Good point, I didn't take that into consideration. So John's reward for jobbing to Rock was beating Lesnar, that's pretty much all there is to it, that ultimately is his Wrestlemania fallout after losing to Rocky.

·
Banned
609 Posts
No no, you guys are misinterpreting what I'm saying. I understand the match was huge, I agree it was huge, I loved the match personally.

I'm referring to the fall out, can someone tell me what the fall out for John was?
There doesn't have to be. And we aren't misinterpreting what you said. There was never meant to be fallout. Only profit. We all would also probably agree with you that there should be but there probably wont, and it was never intended. Everyone new Rock would be the favorite, let alone due to it being in Miami, they had to have some doubt in Cenas character to justify it.
In the eyes of WWE the fact that Cena lost, didn't give in to his anger with losing and come to the realize that life has moved on he has "risen above it".
He's okay with his loss.

Whether or not he is in denial is probably just wishful thinking on our parts.

·
Its Yer'sel
6,148 Posts
Dont think of it, in terms of progressing anyone, more like a one-off special event all star game, separate from the weekly in and outs..

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
They should have done a storyline that led to actual character development for Cena...

But WWE obviously didn't want to do that.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
The point should have been that WrestleMania 28 was the epicenter of a drastic change in the John Cena character. The lost should have devastated him because as he stated in his empty arena promo and in many of his promos with The Rock and this is this match meant EVERYTHING to his career, his life. Cena was lambasted by Roddy Piper for always being too good/too soft and Kane who told him he needed to "embrace the hate" to defeat The Rock.

Well Cena lost to The Rock in the biggest match of his life and there are no ramifications to the result, no character progression for Cena, and no point to his lost. WWE was on the right track for a couple of weeks with the story having Cena lose to Tensi and he should have suffered a crushing lost to Lesnar at Extreme Rules. He didn't have become heel because of these big losses but it would have been refreshing to actually see his internal conflict affect him mentally and he question everything he stands for before having to adopt a new found edge and resetting by taking on new challenges before redeeming himself against The Rock and/or Lesnar at WrestleMania the following year.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
There doesn't have to be. And we aren't misinterpreting what you said. There was never meant to be fallout. Only profit. We all would also probably agree with you that there should be but there probably wont, and it was never intended. Everyone new Rock would be the favorite, let alone due to it being in Miami, they had to have some doubt in Cenas character to justify it.
In the eyes of WWE the fact that Cena lost, didn't give in to his anger with losing and come to the realize that life has moved on he has "risen above it".
He's okay with his loss.

Whether or not he is in denial is probably just wishful thinking on our parts.
I have to agree with this. There was never meant to be a fallout. It's John Cena vs. The Rock, even without a "feud" it would still be the biggest match of all time with the top guy of the Attitude Era vs. the top guy of today. If Random Midcarder can lose a match without getting butthurt about it, why can't Cena?

Cena is okay with losing. We have to remember that wrestling is supposed to be a "sport", nothing more than "competition". Sure, we like watching the drama of two guys in a heated feud, but if you suspend your disbelief a bit, you'll see that feuds and the whole "soap opera" aspect is actually nothing more than a byproduct of "unprofessionalism" and "poor sportsmanship". Cena's not that kind of guy.

Sure there's nothing for Cena to do atm, but even if he turned heel, there'd still be nothing for him to do. They can't do Cena/Punk again because they're trying to have their cake and eat it too by keeping Cena away from the title. He'd still be sitting on his thumbs doing random filler feuds.

·
Registered
826 Posts
WWE now only thinks about short term gains and not long term any more. People used to give WCW flack for the way they used to book storylines but WWE nowadays is just as bad(if not worse).

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
To give the fans what they have been wanting to see for years. In any case Cena is already fully established so even if he won, it wouldnt have done much for him and everyone knew that The Rock would be pretty much done when WM was over.

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
To make money and also it made Cena relevant by having him feud with a big guy like Rock. unfortunately he is now bigger than every other wrestler in the business for getting that rub from the Rock and also Lesnar back to back.

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
WWE had a chance to give Cena a break after WM28, and especially after Extreme Rules, but they chose not too.

I agree, the match was great and it did big business, but this was built for a year, the loss should have been devastating to Cena, who should have contemplated retiring(storyline wise) or at least taken time off. He should be angry, at himself, at the Rock, at the WWE, something...

But now he's back to his happy go lucky self, he was put in a stupid feud with Johnny and Big Show, and there doesn't seem to be anything for him to do for the next little while, since the WWE title picture is crowded, maybe Jericho.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
WWE had a chance to give Cena a break after WM28, and especially after Extreme Rules, but they chose not too.

I agree, the match was great and it did big business, but this was built for a year, the loss should have been devastating to Cena, who should have contemplated retiring(storyline wise) or at least taken time off. He should be angry, at himself, at the Rock, at the WWE, something...

But now he's back to his happy go lucky self, he was put in a stupid feud with Johnny and Big Show, and there doesn't seem to be anything for him to do for the next little while, since the WWE title picture is crowded, maybe Jericho.
Exactly, there are no ramifications to Cena failing in the biggest moment of his life. Going by that empty arena promo (btw which was well done) you would think Cena would be forced to change his character in some drastic way (just gain a fresh edge not necessarily heel turn) but after he beat Lesnar I guess everything is all right with the Universe now and Mania wasn't so bad after all ... well that is until Rock returns next Mania season I guess.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts