Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello

how are you guys doing ?

i want to know what was the original plan for starcede 98 ?
what was supposed to happen , and kevin nash was he
supposed to end goldberg streak or what ?

·
Banned
8,266 Posts
Re: what was the original plan for starcede 98 ?

Welcome to the board.

Kevin Nash was meant to end the streak all along in 1998. Kevin Nash was really over as a performer around this time and Goldberg was stalling a little bit and the crowd was starting to turn on him so they decided to end the streak.

A lot of people think this show was the beginning of the end but I personally think that Goldberg had to lose here. Who else was he going to beat? He had beat the entire roster and had beat most guys 2-3 times.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

Welcome to the board.

Kevin Nash was meant to end the streak all along in 1998. Kevin Nash was really over as a performer around this time and Goldberg was stalling a little bit and the crowd was starting to turn on him so they decided to end the streak.

A lot of people think this show was the beginning of the end but I personally think that Goldberg had to lose here. Who else was he going to beat? He had beat the entire roster and had beat most guys 2-3 times.
According to everyone here, Jericho. Although they forget he was a midcarder who was holding the tv title and was known for cheap heat. Him beating Goldberg wouldve been so dumb.

There was always talk of Hogan/Goldberg II at Starrcade 98 but they scrapped it. Then at Starrcade 99 thats what they were heading towards before they brought in Russo.

·
#WoodwardOut #LUHG
15,087 Posts

They should've spent the year building to a Sting-Goldberg, Hogan-Bret double main event.

Also the show should've been held in Canada (Dem Hogan & Bret Pops)

Honestly think they could've gotten a million buys with that set up.

Reactions: Brock

·
Registered
5,198 Posts

They should've spent the year building to a Sting-Goldberg, Hogan-Bret double main event.

Also the show should've been held in Canada (Dem Hogan & Bret Pops)

Honestly think they could've gotten a million buys with that set up.
I always thought that was the natural Starrcade '98 setup. Or, even reversing the roles, too, and having Sting/Bret and Hogan/Goldberg. Can't go wrong with either of them. WCW went with neither. By the time Bret/Sting did happen, it was Wolfpack Sting and it didn't quite click.

·
Registered
8,207 Posts

I always thought that was the natural Starrcade '98 setup. Or, even reversing the roles, too, and having Sting/Bret and Hogan/Goldberg. Can't go wrong with either of them. WCW went with neither. By the time Bret/Sting did happen, it was Wolfpack Sting and it didn't quite click.
I never got why Sting joined the Wolfpac, yah, he got a cool pop for a few times just because "Hey, Sting is in the NWO" but it pretty much killed any sort of direction his character could go into, especially once the NWO turned heel again.

On a side note, I have a feeling that Hogan going over Goldberg was a possibility for Starcade as well, the rumors of course being that Hogan put Goldberg over in the first place so down the road he could get his win back.

·
Registered
12,407 Posts

Sting popularity was dying down, that's why he join the Wolfpac. In 98, Goldberg,Nash,return of Flair,Warrior and DDP was more popular faces. Remember, they use DDP to team with Leno and Karl Malone. Sting was an aftermath around March.

WCW did not have early plans but Flair vs. Bischoff. That match got the most build up of all the matches.

·
Banned
6,752 Posts
Hogan/Bret would have made an awesome double main event along with Goldberg/Nash. But oh well.

As an alternate idea, I thought here would have also been the perfect place to do Hogan and Nash's dream match. The NWO/Wolfpac feud had been going on since the spring and this would have been the perfect place for it to culminate. Goldberg/Nash and the Fingerpoke of Doom that followed could have been done at Superbrawl.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
They had a huge opportunity to build a new top star. Nash breaking the undefeated streak did nothing, while WWE was building new guys and creating awesome storylines. It was the beginning of the end for WCW.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Retrospectively it would have been good if hogan worked with bret at halloween havoc. sting wins fall brawl to headline halloween havoc with goldberg. ddp wins world war 3 and then beats goldberg at starcade. then you can bring in bret hart into the main event mix and he can bring in other mid carders into the mix which would have enabled the main event scene to evolve. instead what we go was hogan flair and hogan savage which had already been done just the year before.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

According to everyone here, Jericho. Although they forget he was a midcarder who was holding the tv title and was known for cheap heat. Him beating Goldberg wouldve been so dumb.

There was always talk of Hogan/Goldberg II at Starrcade 98 but they scrapped it. Then at Starrcade 99 thats what they were heading towards before they brought in Russo.
agree with jericho but they should have feuded.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
I never really get why people want to change a venue. Especially for the last for Starrcade's recently, I've heard "they should've had it in Atlanta" and in here I see they should've had it in Canada. Just them having it in The MCI Center 4 years straight is evidence that they had some kind of contract set in place. Sometimes a venue is the one thing you can't change.

Booking changes are a lot more easy than venue changes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts