• Cole vs. Gargano

Votes: 45 31.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
24,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm the guy who asked what WOULD be the MOTN at Takeover New York. Seems only right that I be the guy who asks what WAS the MOTN at Takeover.

To me it comes down to Dream vs. Riddle and Walter vs. Dunne. Dream vs. Riddle was a great character clash and both guys came out looking like superstars. And Walter and Dunne had an absolute physical war.

If I had to pick one, it's Dunne vs. Walter.

Cole and Gargano had an epic 3rd fall but 2 boring and plodding ones. And the tag match and women's match were both very well done as well, just not quite up to par. Which is not an insult in this case, lol.

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
11,044 Posts
Cole/Gargano is the most emotional match I've seen in years. I'm gonna go with that one by a decent margin.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
It's honestly really hard to decide. Aside from the women's match, all four are contenders for it.

Gargano vs. Cole - Technical wrestling, stacking the deck, and full circle catharsis.

Dunne vs. WALTER - Brutal war of attrition.

Dream vs. Riddle - Great role reversal and charisma on display.

Tag match - Blistering pace and a fantastic sendoff.

Think I'll have to lean to Gargano vs. Cole since it's hard to top that story, but all of them are contenders.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
They were all great. The Women's Match is out solely because of the poor finish imo. I guess that either Riddle vs. Dream or WALTER vs. Dunne for me. It's a toss up as to which, but I'm leaning more towards WALTER vs. Dunne right now.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Dunne vs WALTER for me. Just brutal, intense perfection. And it felt like it had a really big atmosphere to it since it seemed inevitable Dunne’s reign was coming to an end.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I'll go with Dunne vs Walter. Cole vs Gargano, Dream vs Riddle and the tag match were all great as well, but Dunne vs Walter is the match i'll remember most.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm going with the tag match. It's honestly hard to pick one and I'm kind of deciding this on a whim here, but the other matches had some very slight (or in one case rather large) disconnections with me.
Dream vs. Riddle - Not a fan of rollup finishes though it did make sense here
Dunne vs. Walter - Rather slow to start, Walter is... Idk what to think of the guy, some things about him just seem off, hard to put a finger on it
Women's Fatal 4-way - It was a women's match. And Shayna retains, LEL!
Cole vs. Gargano - First two falls were rather uneventful, which isn't a problem in and of itself, obviously the final fall is gonna be the main course. But the way that the Era got schooled (I don't wanna say buried, but it might actually be the correct term here) and Johnny just kicking out of bazooka shots to the face went way too far at the end.
The tag match I could get behind from start to finish, including the aftermath.

Long story short, amazing show from start to finish, 9/10* from me (probably 10/10 if Io goes over).

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Walter v Dunne, easy. Those two had a battle! Reminded me of the Sami Zayn v Nakamura match on NxT back in 2016. Only Walter and Dunne was far more brutal

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Walter vs Pete Dunne.

I haven't been that engrossed in a match since Almas vs Gargano at the start of last year.

Just the way they built through the match was captivating.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I loved this entire card. Even the women match, because they made the right call and Shayna retained. I may not have said that was the right call before the match but honestly Io, Kairi, and bianca don’t get enough reaction to warrant beating Shayna. Io basically came out to crickets. Kairi I know has fans on here but I think her gimmick makes me not take her seriously. Just my opinion. Walter was hard hitting, thought the finger/joint manipulation was a bit excessive. The tag match was fire. Cole and Gargano, maybe a case of two high of expectations.

·
The North Remembers
20,749 Posts
Walter vs PD was something fierce and highly enjoyable. But I’ll go with Cole vs Gargano. Enjoyed the story there and the touching moment with JG is special.

·
Currently lying down wearing a blue suit
10,998 Posts
My Top 5 MOTNs:

1. Pete Dunne vs WALTER (9/10)

2. Johnny Gargano vs Adam Cole 2/3 Falls match (9/10)

3. Velveteen Dream vs Matt Riddle (8/10)

4. Shayna Baszler vs Kairi Sane vs Bianca Belair vs Io Shirai (7.5/10)

5. War Raiders vs Ricochet & Aleister Black (7/10)

Honestly, tonight was a great ppv. There wasn't a single bad match tbh.

Hell, I still thought the opening tag match was good and entertaining :)

·
Let's talk about six, baby.
8,440 Posts
Dream/Riddle.

Reactions: DammitChrist

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cole/Gargano for me.

Both the match and the emotional aspect of the storytelling was tremendous. Only the 2nd match to get 5 stars from me this year so far (Omega/Tana being the other).

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,615 Posts
WALTER vs. Dunne.

I figured Gargano/Cole might come close, but not after the way they booked it.

·
Registered
9,983 Posts
Dream vs Riddle for me.

I enjoyed Dunne vs Walter and it probably would have been my #1 if they'd put Walters chops & offense over a bit stronger. It felt more like Walter heroically overcoming Dunne while it should have felt like Dunne heroically attemtping (and ultimately failing) to endure Walter's offence.

Gargano vs Cole picked up, and it makes my top three of the night, but Johnny's had several better takeover matches. Part of that maybe comes down to 2/3 falls matches often not being as good as a normal match, but even so I think it could have been booked better.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts