Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There were 2 straws that broke the proverbial camel's back for me:

1. Jeff Jarrett getting force fed down everyone's throat. He wasn't then, nor was he ever, a main eventer. Russo, however, insisted that JJ be the main focus of the company and be a multiple time world champion. I couldn't stand Jarrett. He was so boring and bland and just....average. Maybe give him a US title reign for a month and that was his ceiling IMO. Never should have been a World champion. He was the ADR of the 90's imo.

2. Mark Madden. His commentary made the shows unbearable for me. His voice literally made me change the channel. I couldn't stand it; I'd rather listen to an MP3 of a nails on a chalkboard on a constant loop than hear that unfunny slob make horrible jokes and push his own personal agenda (like bashing DDP and Hogan, praising Jarrett ect.,). His impact cannot be understated. He detracted so much from an already shitty product that it was just curtains for me and the company that actually made me a pro wrestling fan - WCW.

· Read Only
3,021 Posts
Couldn’t get invested in Bret Hart like I did in his WWF run – He was barely on tv, had barely existent theme music (as opposed to his distinct and more intense WWF theme) and most of the time, I didn’t even know when he was having a match.

The Giant left WCW – After The Giant lost his Loser leaves WCW match, I stopped watching after that, barring DDP’s first run with the belt, and a very brief viewing of the New Blood vs Millionaires Club feud. When you are reading in a PWI magazine in mid-2000 that Hulk Hogan vs Ric Flair was the main event of a Monday Nitro and how it had gained less ratings than a segment on Raw containing Viscera, yeah, good luck getting me back.

The AKI games – The general consensus was that the AKI games were the best wrestling games and beat out the Acclaim Games (even though I liked the Acclaim Games). When AKI switched from WCW to WWF and WCW chose EA (ECW went with Acclaim), that was basically it for them. The EA WCW games were generally not that impressive compared to the AKI WWF games or even the AKI WCW games that came before them. When the AKI games are the wrestling game of choice among your friends, you could say it was game over for WCW.

· Registered
372 Posts
I still watched occasionally, but the end of me caring was David Arquette being given the heavyweight title. Following the fingerpoke of doom and Jarrett laying down for Hogan I was like 'fuck this' I could be watching good Raws and ECWs instead of this backstage politics being shown on air crap.

· Listen. No really, LISTEN.
11,492 Posts
I still watched occasionally, but the end of me caring was David Arquette being given the heavyweight title. Following the fingerpoke of doom and Jarrett laying down for Hogan I was like 'fuck this' I could be watching good Raws and ECWs instead of this backstage politics being shown on air crap.
I was already losing interest, but this did it for me as well. I hardly ever watched again after that.

· Registered
365 Posts
When NWO ran stale

Could never really get into DDP and Jarrett

When they started doing stuff like when Nash let Hogan pin him

The only thing I thought was creative about Bret Hart at WCW was the metal chest plate w Goldberg

· Banned
2,434 Posts
NWO.. It was cool at first, but it dragged on way too long to the point almost everyone was involved in the NWO and they had 3 or 4 different NWO factions... As a kid i was very confused.

· Am I fcking going over?!
484 Posts
Just the fact WWE felt like they had their shit together. WCW wasn't holding my interest. It was even clear to me at an early age they were getting desperate.

· I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
24,056 Posts
Began to lose interest around late '98 when the nWo stuff was really stale and Raw was on fire. I still watched up until Goldberg got shammed and it was Hogan vs. Flair for the hundredth time. Then I just stopped and never really watched a whole Nitro again. I had stopped watching Thunder way before that because nothing ever really happened on there. When I heard about Arquette winning, I had to see it for myself. I turned on Nitro after he won it and just laughed. I had clearly made the right decision to leave WCW behind. Not a shock they died off less than a year later. More like a mercy killing.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.