Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WWE banned the pile driver in 2000, and initially that included Undertaker and Kane. What do you think was the main reason that the move got banned? The obvious answer is that the move is extremely dangerous and a wrestler could easily get paralyzed or even killed. But as far as I know, since WrestleMania started in WWE 99.99 percent of the time no one got seriously injured by the pile driver. What happened to Austin was extremely rare for WWE. The overwhelming majority of times the move was done, it was done carefully. Wrestlers who had a reputation for injuring people, like Ahmed Johnson, just didn't perform the move.

But rather, I think the biggest reason the move was banned was because at the time backyard wrestling was really popular. WWE had a firm stance that fans should not try these moves at home. They had commercials telling people this, and there was a brief video at the beginning of every dvd that couldn't be skipped telling us this. I did hear that during the Monday Night War a fan tried the pile driver on his friend and killed him. The pile driver is really dangerous and it's even more so when the person doing the move doesn't have any proper wrestling training,.

At the end of the day I'm sure both reasons played a big factor in the move being banned, but I think WWE's "Don't Try This At Home" attitude was the bigger reason.

·
The Babyface of WF
Turned Heel
14,927 Posts
Owen's Piledriver was a sit down Tombstone gone wrong I haven't seen much of this variant besides the actual safely performed Tomstone Piledriver where it's knees first if the move can be pulled off safely years before that then Wrestler's should have no problem using it safely as a Golden rule.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Plenty of other wrestling moves could also seriously hurt an untrained performer.

Heres my take.

wwe went public in october 1999, selling off millions in shares.

So what happens in november 99, one month after going public?
Stone cold gets run over and written off tv, due to neck issues.

Wwe's biggest cash cow gone. Shareholders would panic and be furious once they figure out this guys is not going to last long due to serious neck injury from a piledriver. Stocks are a fragile thing, and such things can really make them fluctuate and cost millions.

So wwe does what every publically traded company does. They try to appease the shareholders, and say "Don't worry, we ban the move and this will never happen again".

Just a theory of course.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plenty of other wrestling moves could also seriously hurt an untrained performer.
But the pile driver was probably the most dangerous move that wrestlers did. Obviously they can't ban every single dangerous move but they can still ban the one that is most likely to seriously hurt an untrained person.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I remember a OSW ep where they said Triple H complained after a tombstone from Taker backstage, which combined with Austin getting his neck broke was likely enough to get the move banned (except when Cena and Taker are concerned) outright. Shame as when done correctly a piledriver looks cool as hell.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Looking at the gifs in post #5, I can’t help but wince, wondering if the other guy isn’t hurt. Those moves are too dangerous. Wrestling doesn’t need those kind of moves to be good

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Looking at the gifs in post #5, I can’t help but wince, wondering if the other guy isn’t hurt. Those moves are too dangerous. Wrestling doesn’t need those kind of moves to be good
Aside from the Steiner Screwdriver, there’s not one gif where the head isn’t being held on the way down.
That’s the difference in these moves. They’re tucking their heads and necks like they would for a suplex or body slam.

EDITED for butchering the English language originally

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
The Steiner Screwdriver looks very dangerous but I don't remember Scotty ever hurting anyone with the move, not even when he was younger and the move looked even more dangerous.

The piledriver broke guys' necks so thats the reason why they banned it. It was too dangerous to use as a move.
Tell me 5 guys who got their neck broken.

It's more kayfabe than reality, for decades they built the pilledriver as a move used to end careers, see the Harley Race/ Ric Flair feud for example.
I'm not saying they should do it every time but it should be used as a very powerful finisher.
My favourite version is the Gotch style pilledriver:

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
4,735 Posts
It's a high-risk, low-reward situation. There are dozens of moves that get at least as big a pop as a piledriver with only a fraction of the risk to the performers. Really, it's common sense to ban it.

·
Banned
2,362 Posts
The Steiner Screwdriver looks very dangerous but I don't remember Scotty ever hurting anyone with the move, not even when he was younger and the move looked even more dangerous.

View attachment 95818 View attachment 95819 View attachment 95820

Tell me 5 guys who got their neck broken.

It's more kayfabe than reality, for decades they built the pilledriver as a move used to end careers, see the Harley Race/ Ric Flair feud for example.
I'm not saying they should do it every time but it should be used as a very powerful finisher.
My favourite version is the Gotch style pilledriver:

View attachment 95823 View attachment 95824 View attachment 95825
Steve Austin, Chino are two examples of getting their necks broken do to the piledriver.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Don't have to because thats more than enough thats named that have broken their necks hence the banning of the move.
Or you just like to talk bullshit and got nothing to back it up. You got 2 names and talk about it in a general way. There are more usual moves that wrestlers do that hurt their opponents more than the pilledriver. It's all about the people involved in the moves, experience and wrestling knowledge are the key.

·
Banned
2,362 Posts
Or you just like to talk bullshit and got nothing to back it up. You got 2 names and talk about it in a general way. There are more usual moves that wrestlers do that hurt their opponents more than the pilledriver. It's all about the people involved in the moves, experience and wrestling knowledge are the key.
Or you just ignorant and have no clue of what you're talking about so you just like to post stupidity like this post right here with nothing to back it up with. There's a reason why it was banned and it's because it's the most dangerous move in wrestling.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Or you just ignorant and have no clue of what you're talking about so you just like to post stupidity like this post right here with nothing to back it up with. There's a reason why it was banned and it's because it's the most dangerous move in wrestling.
Again,no argument,you do not even know where it was banned,you say it was banned like every other promotion also banned it.
Calling it "the most dangerous move in wrestling" just shows how little knowledge about wrestling moves you got, there are plenty more dangerous moves in wrestling. They used this term in the past and maybe it's still used for the kayfabe in storylines.
I'm sorry beacuse I had more expectations from a guy who presents as facts his opinions combined with wrestling articles, I think the guy in Rants who made the topic about you was very much right.

·
Banned
2,362 Posts
Again,no argument,you do not even know where it was banned,you say it was banned like every other promotion also banned it.
Calling it "the most dangerous move in wrestling" just shows how little knowledge about wrestling moves you got, there are plenty more dangerous moves in wrestling. They used this term in the past and maybe it's still used for the kayfabe in storylines.
I'm sorry beacuse I had more expectations from a guy who presents as facts his opinions combined with wrestling articles, I think the guy in Rants who made the topic about you was very much right.
🤣 You can't even write a proper sentence and you wrote a paragraph saying nothing of substance in it. I'm sorry if you don't like facts but they're not here for you to agree with them and I don't care about what others think of me kid. Only children are worried about how someone else views them not grown adults.

You showed your stupidity in this post with grammatical errors and your lack of understanding of the piledriver. Learn grammar and learn wrestling and then I'll take you seriously troll.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think if WWE wasn't that concerned about people trying the move at home, then maybe they could allow it to be done on special occasions. They could only allow wrestlers with a history of being safe (not someone like Goldberg) to do the move, but not on a regular basis. They allowed Undertaker to do it and it didn't lead to any problems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts