Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until mid to late 06 everyone liked this shit, when did it stop for you.
When Cena won his third title, i can really pin point my interest in the product going down drastically. John Cena was a laughably bad wrestler, he's gotten a little bit better over the years but back then, come on, and he wasn't as G Rated as he was later on, which made it worse actually, he was just phoney, cringy, and awkward, at least you could get a good laugh out of Cena at the height of the PG era, with the bright colored get up and the goofy promos. But i digress, it was at that that point, that i said to myself, wow, they're really going with this guy, sure enough, he was champion for a year straight, and 2007 was a nightmare for wrestling fans, that's when people went out of their way to find alternatives, Bill & Doug anyone?

Inviato dal mio SM-A405FN utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
590 Posts
i remember tuning out completely in like 2009. And it felt like i was only a casual fan at this point. Its funny how i decided to click on "whats trending" on youtube this year and found a promo of daniel bryan and wyatt and that made me want to watch again after 10 years of lost faith. I remember years back seeing some things like that episode of raw where batista made some comment about cenas bowl movement and triple h talking about kofi being a fake jamaican. I dont remember anything that memorable from those times, apart of it was because i was watching so seldomly compared to 2002-2004. I think it was around Cenas reign of terror where things were getting shitty to my memory at least.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've been on/off for years.
The biggest dip in interest probably came when Daniel Bryan got injured after mania 30.

Bryan was so friggin popular, it actually felt like things could turn around. He got the biggest reactions since the attitude era.
Not only did they wait too long to capitalise on his momentum, but then he got injured and WWE lost all interest in him.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i remember tuning out completely in like 2009. And it felt like i was only a casual fan at this point. Its funny how i decided to click on "whats trending" on youtube this year and found a promo of daniel bryan and wyatt and that made me want to watch again after 10 years of lost faith. I remember years back seeing some things like that episode of raw where batista made some comment about his bowl movement and triple h talking about kofi being a fake jamaican. I dont remember anything that memorable from those times, apart of it was because i was watching so seldomly compared to 2002-2004. I think it was around Cenas reign of terror where things were getting shitty to my memory at least.
2009 was vomit inducing.
Even the Punk-Hardy feud sucked. "Jeff you're a screwup" "sorry i'm not as purrrfect, as you" and i'm like wtf is this lol, is this two wrestlers arguing or two emo kids, wtf happened to wrestling.

Inviato dal mio SM-A405FN utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,600 Posts
It's hard to find the exact moments... but JBL's title reign, Sandman caning a zombie, and Ric Flair slicking his hair back come to mind... I can't remember if those things are even remotely close to each other time wise though :lol

There was also another clear drop when Bryan got injured after 30. No Bryan, no Punk, just Stephanie and Roman and a whole lot of no fucks given.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
When Hogan slammed Andre. FFS Andre should have gone over! The stupid superhero booking of Hogan, he was shoved down our throats!!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
The WWE version of the nWo after Wrestlemania 18. That, and Eric Bischoff and Vince McMahon embracing in a hug, instead of having him begin a onscreen feud with him. The brand split occurred at around the same time, and I lost interest in the product.

Other notable times that I noticed WWE going downhill:

September 2000: When RAW switched from USA to TNN. The show seemed to lose it's edge over the fall.

Spring 2001: The Invasion angle. Instead of bringing in top names, they went with mainly mid-card wrestlers. No Hogan, Flair, Sting, Goldberg, Hall, or Nash. I would not classify Booker T as being a big draw.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
It was a slow progression.

Most of my friends who had loved wrestling from 95-00 stopped paying attention in 01-02. By the end of 2003 I had no real life wrestling fan friends left. This was the first sign of the decline.

2006 was pretty dire in general. Oddly enough given the above post, King Booker was my favorite thing about that year. I credit him with keeping me around for 3 more years because I was ready to throw in the towel after JBL retired, Angle left, and I realized WWECW was going to be nothing like the real ECW. Anyway, 2006 was the first time I really thought WWE sucked. Keep in mind I had been watching regularly since way back in 1987.

By 2009 I just didn't care anymore. Not going crazy for Taker/Michaels at Wrestlemania like everybody else was a sign to myself that maybe I had outgrown wrestling. I thought it was overrated and better the first time around when it was called "Michaels vs. Angle." For a few months I'd just watch matches of the handful of guys I still liked on Youtube. At some point I stopped watching altogether.

Nothing has hooked me for more than a few weeks since then. I've went entire years without watching a single modern WWE thing.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
The summer of 2001. It was the beginning of the end and Hogan coming back with the NWO in 2002 showed that perhaps Vince also knew it was his last curve ball he had left from the buzz of the 2nd boom.

There have been some moments since, but I knew they would never be back at the level of pop culture when Cena was getting his mixed reactions as the top guy as fans did not generally accept him as the heir apparent of Rock and Austin.

DX third incarnation was terrible in trying to relive the past and also trying to move forward with Cena.

They haven't really recovered although they have been making huge money. They have not been taken as serious as a force of pop culture as the WCW/WWE era of late 90's(as it took BOTH companies along with ECW to really make it what it was).

The Rock vs Cena was the swan song in Miami. It has been the Lesnar scene since and now this era pales in comparison to the great WWE/pro wrestling industry powerhouse of the past.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
When they started building the company around Triple HGH. That's when I knew that the programming wasn't going to be as good as the mid 90's early 2000's. Aside from the Cena-Rock program, it has progressively gone worse as the years went by.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
When they started building the company around Triple HGH. That's when I knew that the programming wasn't going to be as good as the mid 90's early 2000's. Aside from the Cena-Rock program, it has progressively gone worse as the years went by.
As you bring up HHH, I talked about 2002 and the NWO for a reason. Vince Mcmahon knew the programming was going to slow down in terms of star power too. Remember they were always building for HHH for his big return and title win, but Vince STILL went and brought back Hulk Hogan, Scott Hall, and Kevin Nash. That says a lot.

Vince obviously didn't have trust in Jericho which has been revealed Vince stated that Jericho becoming Undisputed world champion showed the business was declining(I always felt they should have just given the accolade to Austin or Rock since they were the reason for ending WCW's run against them).

·
Registered
383 Posts
When I read what Benoit had done.

Onscreen they'd had a decent year. Royal Rumble 2007 was fun. WrestleMania was a good show and cemented Cena and Batista. Cena vs Orton and Cena vs Batista had yet to be explored. They cut back on PPVs and went tri-brand. ECW had settled as a watchable 1 hour show with old vs new theme. The world title scene was good - Edge/Taker feud had been set up nicely. McMahons were heeling it up good. Then they pulled the trigger on their own crazy version of 'Who Shot JR'.

Suddenly WWE was given the equivalent of a vasectomy. The company was under tremendous media attention. Soon everything was sanitized beyond what PG demanded and programming/writing became ultra safe and jokey. Cena was pushed even more as the patriotic merchandise machine. Their biggest angle in years was stone dead.

·
rasslin
2,832 Posts
Once Austin and Rock left the days of WWE being a big deal was gone.

Every show needs its stars and WWE hasn't came close to having one since then.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I like the light-hearted, non-realistic entertainment side of wresting, so my interest has risen and dropped with the times:

2004 or 2005: No specific moment, just a realisation all the top, young stars looked very bland and boring.

They were too realistic: First name, Last name, normal short haircut, didn't look cool (looked like gym rats who would be ugly / unpopular otherwise), and the rest of the show had too much wrestling, not enough storylines.

Came back 10 years later and eventually got back to watching every Raw (never SD until the brand split, because nothing happened), but for me there was a second moment that caused a semi-drop off, although I still watch highlights:

2018: The WM34 finish where they had a clear, long-term story for their FOTC that had been building up over 3 years (and was the main hook to keep me watching in that time), and then... Vince caved in, and ended WM with an illogical loss that made Roman's long-term journey a complete waste of time. The fact he won it dirty 4 months later didn't help, and then he left with cancer while the product increasingly became an attempt to work the hardcore workrate fans.

It seems the cues to return/leave are mostly based around top stars coming or going. Goes to show how important those top 3-4 stars are IMO.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts