Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Babyface of WF
12,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know everybody thinks N64's No Mercy and Smackdown's HCTP stand the test of time in WWE game history but what about the secondary titles specifically in the SVR and 2K series?

I'd have 2K14 for the current crop and 2006/2010 for the classic SVR releases.

Thoughts?

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
SVR 07 for me, the GM mode was the best thing Ive played in the whole series tbh plus the graphics, gameplay and soundtrack was memorable. I loved that aspect of booking shows, competing for ratings.

the roster got abit too thin on SVR 08 to make the GM work as well.

wouldnt it be incredible if they created a monday night wars mode that was essentially GM mode but with WWF vs WCW? would never happen due to the roster requirements and the fact that wwe wouldnt want you picking WCW to beat them. Would be a whole game in itself though. Id buy it.

I really need to go and have a nostalgia trip on the soundtrack for SVR 07, some great songs on there.

Reactions: Shaun_27

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,169 Posts
my fave is the first Svr . played that hundreds of times.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
For the SVR series, I have to go with SVR 06 easily. The roster, unlockables, gameplay, stamina system, momentum system, mini-games, double-KO in matches, GM Mode, Season Mode, and the graphics were amazing for the time and a huge step up from the previous year. Also the included Buried Alive match was just awesome at the time and one of the most played match types of mine. I also really liked the black and white slow-mo effect that would happen before you hit a finisher, it was really cool.

The second pick would be 2K14, now that was a damn good game. Everyone knows why it was so good so I don't even need to explain its credentials here.

Honestly for the 2K series, they have yet to make an amazing game that comes close to the old days for me. A 'instant classic' wrestling game just doesn't seem possible for them.

·
Registered
914 Posts
SvR 2007 was the last great wrestling game, SvR 2008 was pretty good as well but after that it pretty much went downhill as far as gameplay goes.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
06 is the greatest SVR game imo. Introduced classics like the GM Mode, Buried Alive and Fulfill Your Fantasy, had a terrific roster and the PSP port had some awesome mini-games like Texas Hold 'Em. The original is probably the 2nd best. 07 is good too, but it's basically just 06 with better graphics and a way bigger roster. And MITB too, which was probably the hardest match type ever in the history of these games. From 08 onwards, the games kinda get worse and worse with each consecutive one until 13, which is the better one since 07 but still not that great.

Never played any of the 2K games and have no intention too. They look terrible to me.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
SvR ’06 closely followed by SvR `07. The minigames, GM Mode, season mode, the match types, the gameplay. So good.

Of the 2K games none of them are that good. It’s been stuck for 5 years in mediocrity. They focus way too much time and resources on useless stuff like 2K Showcase, Towers, MyCareer and Road to Glory.

Where`s the Universe Mode that is basically GM Mode 2.0 with Story Designer and Story Collection and the answer to Madden NFL`s Connected Franchise Mode?

Where`s the SYM/HCTP style season mode with an extra layer of customization in selecting the roster, champions, factions and arenas?

Where are the variety of match types (not just missing ones like casket, buried alive, inferno, I Quit, special referee, 1 vs 2 ladder matches, 1 v 2 cage matches and 2 v2 backstage brawl, but new match types like object on a pole, ambulance matches and empty arena matches)?

Where is the tightened gameplay (KO mechanics, submission KO mechanics, improved submission mechanics, improved pin reversals, rope break animations and rope break count, improved stamina and damage mechanics, finisher strength, tag finisher designators, tired movesets, blood physics, environmental physics, HIAC fall physics like in WMX8, weapon wheel present in all matches and with a greater selection, referee mechanics, customizable A.I. logic)?

Where is the tightened online (from lobbies to overall ratings listed in community creations to having yearly leagues like Fortnite and Call of Duty)?

Where the extra level of freedom in Creation Suite?

Why is DLC only available for purchase with cash and not with a choice to purchase them with VC like in Street Fighter V?

Yeah, I think you can tell I think these games have the potential to be awesome lol.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
When they released the first SvR, it kinda pissed me off man because no top superstar like Brock and Goldberg since both of them were out in same time before the game got released but I love the new feature called challenge mode to get item like alternative ring gear, the Bret Hart challenge was the difficult one before I knew I can use analog to speed up the bar meter of submission move so Bret will tap out by Sharpshooter. But I just found out Brock and Goldberg can be add by using mod, to bad I already sell my PS2

SvR 2007 is still the best and kinda creepy since it predict Benoit fate and in previous year,Eddie got put in casket by Taker in season mode.

Reactions: birthday_massacre

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
The original Smackdown vs. RAW was always my favourite out of the SVR series with 2007 coming a very close second. As for the 2K games I've only ever played 2K19 so that gets my vote.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Both the WWE 2K series and Smackdown Vs. Raw series are extremely prolific and have multiple games that belong on any top 10 best wrestling game list. If you're wondering which entries to pick up, here is my list of the Top 10 Best Wrestling Games that can be played today, which not only contains quite a few entries in the WWE 2K series but other classic wrestling games that still hold up amazingly. What do you think of this list? What are your top 10 lists? I'd be interested to see your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Both the WWE 2K series and Smackdown Vs. Raw series are extremely prolific and have multiple games that belong on any top 10 best wrestling game list. If you're wondering which entries to pick up, here is my list of the Top 10 Best Wrestling Games that can be played today, which not only contains quite a few entries in the WWE 2K series but other classic wrestling games that still hold up amazingly. What do you think of this list? What are your top 10 lists? I'd be interested to see your suggestions.
First, hi! Welcome to the forum!

Your list is subjective, not just which game is number one, but which games make the cut, and which games are ranked higher than others (2K18 over 2K19). It all depends on what you value in a wrestling game the most. Your list definitely leans towards an arcade style of wrestling games.

My list is based on gameplay mechanics, how well they simulate wrestling, match types, caw, presentation, and fun.

1. WWF No Mercy – match types, caw, championship mode, limb damage selling & retention, the AKI engine. The culmination of previous great AKI games. Has been at the top of wrestling gamers lists for two decades now for a reason.

2. King of Colosseum 2 – the best pure wrestling experience ever. Basically Fire Pro, but with several different real life promotions (wrestlers, referees and ring announcers) licensed for one game. Choose a venue (Korakuen Hall, Nippon Budokan, Kawasaki Stadium, Ocean Harbour, Differ Ariake, Yoyogi Gymnasium, or Tokyo Dome), choose a ring (either generic, licensed, or a fictional promotion that`s available in Fire Pro Wrestling Returns), choose a crowd type (NJPW, NOAH, AJPW, American, MMA). Even choose if you want the elevated entrance ramp or not for your match, which will also affect entrances. Set your match rules (including DQ counts), whether it’s a wrestling match or MMA match. And enjoy. The only game that`s come close to beating No Mercy, although some might argue that it does beat it.

3. Fire Pro Wrestling World – basically Fire Pro Returns, but with online and licensed rosters (NJPW, Stardom).

4. Smackdown vs Raw 2006 – certain gameplay mechanics and minigames not seen since in any wrestling game (10 count double KO, submission KO, 5 second rope breaks & animations, prematch tactics like staredown & test of strength, and until WWE 2K19, ability to play possum) and match types not seen since (i.e. three stages of hell, fulfill your fantasy, etc).

5. SmackDown vs Raw 2007 – season mode, GM Mode, carry system, crowd fighting, limb damage selling & retention, stamina button.

6. WWE All Stars – the most fun arcade experience for a wrestling game .

7. EWR/TEW – the best booking sim and amazingly addictive for a text based game.

8. AAA Lucha Libre: Heroes del Ring – No Mercy like, interesting story mode.

9. Legends of Wrestling 2/Showdown: Legends of Wrestling – legends roster, territory based career mode (LOW2)/decade based career mode(S:LOW), 3 way & 4 way tags, 8 man tags in 2003-04. They`re the same game otherwise.

10. WWE 2K15 – although 2K19 was the best effort to date by 2K and 2K15 was rightly given flak at the time of release for being so barebones in regards to match types and CAW, 2K15 had a lot of the core ideas down - transition from arcade to simulation, tired animations (including tired turnbuckle climbs, tired finishers and tired pins), auto-positioning, Story Collection in Universe Mode, good core ideas (ideal roster size, ideal number of Showcases) – that 2K has unnecessarily been slowly shying away from since then.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts