Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I remember watching of him, especially in his first run, he was very charismatic, he can cut a promo, speak good English, I thought he had a very nice move set and looked the part, looked like a star. But for some reason it never clicked and he always came across as "boring" to me. Anyone feel the same? What was he missing?

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Good scripts and the ability to avoid cocaine seem to be the biggest things he was missing. Honestly he always came off as way more interesting whenever he was outside of WWE, be it in Lucha Underground or ROH or Impact he just seemed better than he was in WWE. He even left WWE when he was stale there, freshened up in other companies, went back to WWE, still sucked there, left again and picked up where he left off last time he was on the indies. Buuuuuut then all the stuff with Paige and his drugs happened...

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
He just never "clicked" with me. He wasn't a bad talker, certainly not a bad wrestler, he just wasn't interesting enough to wanna see pushed as hard as he was.

He was fine as a midcarder (or upper midcarder at best), it's when they tried shoving him down our throats as a main eventer that he became nauseating to watch.

·
Ho!
17,508 Posts
He sucked on the mic, his acting in general felt really forced even by WWE standards, and he just wasn't charismatic. The only thing the guy had going for him is he was a good wrestler, but he wasn't even a standout in that regard so nobody cared. The thing is he never was over prior to his push. Someone like Cena did end up getting over prior to getting pushed to the moon. Heck, even Reigns owes a big part of his reaction and having fans to The Shield. Del Rio didn't have any of that. He just kinda showed up, was nothing special, never got over, was given a Rumble win and WWE Title run within a year and it just felt lackluster.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I think better writing for his character and better presentation. While he looked great, the gimmick he had felt kind of dated. The big draw Andrade has is Zelina. Alberto had a fat announcer as his manager. Imagine how far he would have went if he had someone like Zelina. I feel he's overall better than Andrade and just comes across as more of a star.

I also think he could have led a latino stable, perhaps Primo and Epico and Rosa would all be under him.

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
I was caught off guard (in a good way) by his initial push. He was dead when he lost at WrestleMania though. Then he got boo-boo face and they took away everything that worked about the gimmick. He wasn't a good fit for that company or its culture.

A lot of international stars, whether they be Hispanic, Japanese, British or what have you, have trouble connecting to US audiences in the same way they are used to in their home nation too. Del Rio was a bonafide star in Mexico, but you can't just tell people that and expect them to eat it up. You've got to show them why. His push was very much in autopilot.

And do you remember any great feud or match he really had? The emotion just wasn't there.

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
he was very charismatic
Image result for jack harkness gif

Del Rio was a charisma vacuum.

You prove that yourself by saying he could work, cut a promo, and had a good look, but couldn't connect with you in anyway and left you "feeling bored".

There are slabs of marble and bacon more charismatic than Del Rio.

He also didn't ingratiate himself to anyone by being SUCH a cunt.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
The company push him too soon, it never gave the crowds an opportunity to understand his character, he didn't even finish his introductory feud with Rey Mysterio and he was winning the Royal Rumble.

And when his character began to make sense within the WWE puzzle (his feud with Christian for the vacant WHC) he was drafted to RAW and was inserted into the Summer of Punk storyline, killing any chance that people accepting him in main event storylines.

2012 until late 2013 most if not all his storylines revolved around the World Heavyweight championship, he feuded Sheamus for many months, then Big Show, then Dolph Ziggler, it was the autopilot storyline for him, people got sick of it.

It was a shame because he was an elite worker, always delivered inside the ring, although not recognized for that, his ladder matches always stole the show.

A heavyweight not afraid to take some big bumps, easily adapted to work with different kind of workers like Rey Mysterio, Cena, CM Punk, Big Show, Jack Swagger, Randy Orton, he even got a good match of an out of shape Rob Van Dam in 2013.

A proof that what matters is not what happens inside the ring but how much you connect with the crowds.

·
FOTC
10,335 Posts
Familiarity.

They should've allowed him to build more of a connection (even as a heel) with the audience before they pushed him so hard.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
From what I remember watching of him, especially in his first run, he was very charismatic, he can cut a promo, speak good English, I thought he had a very nice move set and looked the part, looked like a star. But for some reason it never clicked and he always came across as "boring" to me. Anyone feel the same? What was he missing?
Freedom from unscripted promos. Without it he was bland and generic.

Before he made his debut, Del Rio wrestled a dark match at a RAW show in Austin in 2010. I heard him give what had to be a largely unscripted promo at that time and he was great.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
He badly lacked charisma. He could have killed someone on live TV and he still wouldn't have gotten any reaction

1 - 20 of 29 Posts