Wrestling Forum banner

What To Expect At A "Football" Match?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  JasonLives 
#1 ·
Me and my buddy have just got tickets to watch Spain vs. Columbia at the Santiago Bernabeu on the 9th Feb. Then we are there again on the 16th March to see Real Madrid vs. Lyon in a Champions League match.

I have never been to a Soccer match or to the English people here known as a Football game. I don't know what to expect nor do i know what a Champions League game is. Could someone tell me what a Champions League game is as well what a Soccer/Football game is like. (Obviously i know the rules and what happens i watch the MLS here in Miami allot, i mean like being there live.)

#2 ·
You couldn't have picked a better club to go and see. Real Madrid are not only the biggest football team, but also probably the biggest sporting entity in the world. If Madrid is anything like it was when England last played Spain then expect lots of racism at the Spain game. Spain are the World and European champions and their football is very pleasing on the eye though. However those champions league tickets are really great. Two of the biggest teams of Europe at the Bernabau, especially two attacking teams like Madrid and Lyon, will have an electric atmosphere. The Champions League is a European domestic competition which all the top teams in europe partake in every year. It's by far the most important domestic football competition in world football, especially to Real Madrid, who are the record holders with 9 wins. Madrid will be massive favourites for that game but Lyon actually knocked them out last year in the knockout stage (the game you have tickets for is a group game).

#6 ·
yes but he won't get tickets into that crowd since they all season tickets. he'll be in the tourist/out of towner section which is just like any other sport really, just a bunch of casual fans awkwardly trying to learn the chants.

#7 ·
I the greatest pull of football is it's the sport where there are arguably the most amount of possibilities in the game. There's no set way to score a point (obviously kicking it in a net but) you can do it anyway possible as long as its not with the arms. I explained that shitly but hopefully you get what I mean..

#10 · (Edited)
my semi-complicated Champions League explanation :D

- UEFA (the European football body) has 52 members who all have domestic leagues and they are ranked by coefficiant points which the clubs earn in European competition (Champions League, Europa League which is a 'lesser' tournament than the Champions League)

- Obviously the higher you are in the ranking, the more spots you get in the Champions League. Leagues like England, Spain, Germany, Italy the top 4 enter the Champions League, then leagues like Turkey, Russia, Portugal, Holland have 3 teams eligible going down to the likes of San Marino, Andorra where only the champions are eligible but they have to go through a qualifying cycle and don't come near the actual tournament

For example: The top 3 in England qualify automatically, while the 4th placed team in the CL need to qualify for the tournament in a knockout style match (home and away leg...and they usually qualify).

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/access2010.html

The main attraction though starts with the Group Stage (32 clubs...22 automatic entrants + 10 qualifying teams) who are seperated into 8 groups of 4 and each club plays 6 group matches. The top two in each group move on to the knockout stages where they play until the final.

I'm more old school and would like the see actually more champions in the tournament :D I know its not popular among the Brits, especially after Tottenham's good run but I find it wrong that 4th placed clubs can play in the CHAMPIONS League, yes its fickle but might as well rename the tournament the European Super League or some nonsense like that :D

#11 · (Edited)
I'm more old school and would like the see actually more champions in the tournament :D I know its not popular among the Brits, especially after Tottenham's good run but I find it wrong that 4th placed clubs can play in the CHAMPIONS League, yes its fickle but might as well rename the tournament the European Super League or some nonsense like that :D
Totally agree with this point. I hate the Champions League for this very reason. It ends up being the same fucking teams in the final stages every year and I really couldnt care less about Chelsea playing Barcelona for the 15th time in 5 years. This tournament used to be about winners playing other winners but these days its all about the gulf between the top teams and everyone else. The demise of the old UEFA cup is a result of this, since they let everyone and their dog play in the Champions League, the UEFA cup became a rejects tournament and whatever happened to the Cup Winners Cup?

#12 · (Edited)
As a Birmingham City fan, the football matches I go to are not goalfests so I don't tend to expect goals, when we're against a local rival, I tend to expect a fair bit of violence outside the pitch, especially Aston Villa. I also expect to hear non-stop swearing between both sets of fans.

I enjoy every minute of it, I don't join in the fighting and I was not involved with the flares scandal at St. Andrews a couple of months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjJWTCSRMTg&feature=related

This ain't my video, I was at that game though. Get a proper job was a nice touch.

Is it just Midlands fans that sing

I wanna go home
I wanna go hoooooooooma
*Insert location here*'s a shithole
I wanna go home?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.