Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu5Q0lDrBaM&feature=related
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5q8lHulXE8&feature=related

This is from a match exactly one year ago this month - during The Miz's infamous "fued" against John Cena, right before he ditched "The Chick Magnet" and became "The Awesome One" last August.

Now you've got to admit, even if you're not a Mizfit, this is pretty good.

Obviously, this match did nothing for Cena. He does the usual routine - good offense at first, getting his ass kicked for the next 10 minutes, then becoming Superman during the last 30 seconds. Happens every week.

But this match spoke volumes for The Miz, and proved 3 big things, even before he became United States Champion:
He HAS vastly improved his ring-skills. Compare this match to what he was doing in 2006, you'll see what I mean. In a years time, he's improved even more.
He CAN wrestle a good 10+ minute match. This was nearly 12 minutes, and Miz dominated 2/3 of it. Unfortunately, mid-card matches are usually 4-5 minutes long, and most of his opponents are high-flyers.
He DOES have more than 2 moves. In fact, some of the stuff he pulls out on Cena is rarely seen anywhere else. But it does prove that if nessecary, he can throw out a swinging clothesline, a neckbreaker, jump off the top rope, etc.

Just thought I'd share it. If he can carry a match for Cena, look like a serious threat to Sheamus, and hold his own against Edge, then I see no reason why he he isn't capable of being in the main-event.

·
Banned
5,666 Posts
Miz got buried in that match, and I remember being rather upset and yeh I do remember it being a half decent match but no he HAS NOT vastly improved his ring skills, if he had we would of seen more than one or two 'good' matches from him since.

·
Banned
4,731 Posts
Miz has improved A LOT. I didn't like him per say before but I always kept my eye on him cos he and Morrison cracked me up with their Dirt Sheet segments. Three things that always prevented me from fully liking him were his outfit, nickname and his performance in the ring. He's improved drastically on all three of these things and I've really been swayed into becoming a fan. He has come a LONG way since the Real World days and has changed my opinion on him, COMPLETELY. However, I'm able to acknowledge that vast improvement and admit he is awesome, unlike some people and other wrestlers..

Anyhow I'm looking forward to when he cashes in cos for me it's a win-win situation. If he wins the title, GREAT a wrestler I like has just won his first World title, but if he fails, the reaction on here from his marks would be HILARIOUS. :D

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Miz got buried in that match, and I remember being rather upset and yeh I do remember it being a half decent match but no he HAS NOT vastly improved his ring skills, if he had we would of seen more than one or two 'good' matches from him since.
No he didn't. :rolleyes:

If he got "buried" then it would've been over in 1 minute.That was not
a short match.

"Buried" is one of the most overused terms online.Smarks have no idea
what it means.

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Did anyone see the interview the miz did at comic con??? HE said the one person he would like to cash MITB on is john cena because of the feud from last year.

·
Banned
5,666 Posts
No he didn't. :rolleyes:

If he got "buried" then it would've been over in 1 minute.

"Buried" is one of the most overused terms online.Smarks have no idea
what it means.
Yeh sorry about that, I used the word wrongly, because of course if he had been buried he wouldn't be where he is now.

I'm just gonna say he got beaten stupidly, at the time I didn't really see the point in Miz getting beaten in a feud with John Cena, I just realised though this wasn't the match I remember, I was thinking of the lumberjack match which must of been later on.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Yeh sorry about that, I used the word wrongly, because of course if he had been buried he wouldn't be where he is now.

I'm just gonna say he got beaten stupidly, at the time I didn't really see the point in Miz getting beaten in a feud with John Cena, I just realised though this wasn't the match I remember, I was thinking of the lumberjack match which must of been later on.
I thought you were talking about the GAB match actually. But the OP said it, it was supposed to change the jobber Miz into the Miz today. Without that Cena feud, he probably would have been released by the time he got drafted to RAW.

·
Banned
5,666 Posts
I thought you were talking about the GAB match actually. But the OP said it, it was supposed to change the jobber Miz into the Miz today. Without that Cena feud, he probably would have been released by the time he got drafted to RAW.
I just remember a Lumberjack match involving Jeremy Piven and Miz had every possible advantage with the stipulation he would leave Raw if he lost and yet he still lost, that's is the only one I remember.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I just remember a Lumberjack match involving Jeremy Piven and Miz had every possible advantage with the stipulation he would leave Raw if he lost and yet he still lost, that's is the only one I remember.
I remember that too but I think the GAB was the worst loss he got. But still it helped him in the end.

·
Banned
7,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember that too but I think the GAB was the worst loss he got. But still it helped him in the end.
Right. The summer fued with John Cena was the beginning of The Miz's push. The entire point of The Miz losing the match was to begin a new chapter in his career. He left Raw as "The Chick Magnet", and returned the next week as "The Awesome One", trunks and all. He would've never been taken seriously with his old character, even as US champion.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
who cares he is 6-1 vs cena, as well from that series we saw the king get a victory over the briscoe brothers and the big show i think...i can't find the second half of the promo lol, but he verbally raped cena in EVERY promo

edit 8-1 and the king beat batista, AND bruno samartino, and hulk hogan and stone cold in a handicap match

thats y he is the miz and he is awesome!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Miz did get buried in that match, but yes sometimes that can make the buried person look good.. because obviously he wasn't in a position to beat Cena because that would of hurt Cena but it showed that Miz has improved and could in fact hold his own, he'll be WWE champ by the end of the year and yes I say WWE champ, not world champ.. they hand out the WHC on SD like its a plastic toy, but Miz is going to be a big star and be around for many years imo so eh I just think they're going to start him off the the WWE title, I also see him turning face if he takes the title from Sheamus, the crowd was cheering last week so eh.. I dunno, I don't like predicting or whatever cause I hate how most of the IWC think they know everything and say oh this and that's gonna happen and when it doesn't they're made to look like fools, so yeah I'm just gonna watch and see.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
The Miz was buried in that match.

I don't need someone to explain to me what the hell buried means. That match buried The Chick Magnet persona, and he needed it in order to give himself a fresh look. If John Cena didn't destroy The Miz that match, then The Chick Magnet would have looked strong and it would have stayed. The burial of The Miz was necessary in order to give birth to THE Miz.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
I'll give the burial claim to the Chick Magnet gimmick,but Miz himself looked as credible as he'll probably ever be(until he wins the WWE Championship) in that match,and it showed that he can actually put on a good in ring match when needed to.
More chance of Cena joining TNA and giving them a 4.0 rating then Miz winning the WWE title.

·
Young winger learning from greats such as Downing
9,856 Posts
The only thing that match proved is what we already know -- that Miz NEEDS a superior opponent in order to look anywhere close to good.

We saw the same thing when he faced Kofi Kingston. This is no different.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The only thing that match proved is what we already know -- that Miz NEEDS a superior opponent in order to look anywhere close to good.

We saw the same thing when he faced Kofi Kingston. This is no different.
Not like guys like Cena and Orton are entertaining in the ring. Not all guys can be like Jericho.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts