Wrestling Forum banner

What the hell are they doing with Kofi Kingston?

3109 36
One of the most over men in the wwe, the current Intercontinental title (notthat the title means much) is being bullshitted around. Now let me make this clear, im not saying he's being buried im saying he's being completed assed around at this current point intime. It seems its this time of the year where kingston loses steam and just gets thrown into something last minute (10th member of the mitb at mania last year on the last week before mania).

Look at his recent weeks.....

After a strong showing in the rumble (like the 3rd/4th longest) he has been completely cast asside.

Leading into and after EC, he has not won a match or gotten the better of ADR at any point. Even when he surprised attack or made the save he still ended up on his back and in such weak fashion.

1. Loses to Drew Mcintyre after ADR appears on the big screen...
2. Loses after ADR whips him with his scarf...
3. Surprise attack on raw afte EC and still ends up being over powered (with help from Ricardo)
4. Saves hornswoggle and attacks ADR to only end up on the mat
5. Beaten clean by ADR both on smackdown and at EC after a semi decent match
6. Loses clean to Jack Swaggervia submission (ankle lock) when its his arm that isbeing sold as an injury.

Now i know that ADR is the rumble winner and also a future world champ but completely one sided this whole way, but his lose to swagger this week? what the hell?

He wasnt even on smackdown this past week (from what i read) havent watched it yet) and I dont understand it....how does the current IC champ, and one of the most guys in the company (for the crap he receives) end up in this position?
Reactions: NoLeafClover
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· HOPE
20,241 Posts
He ended up in the exact same position last year at this time when it looked like he wasn't even going to get involved in MITB. It's amazing to think they spend the whole year allowing him to look good, then decide to pull the carpet out from under him come WrestleMania time. I know people blamed his last de-push on Randy Orton, but at this stage there really has to be someone higher up who doesn't like him, because they simply won't get right behind him. It hurts the rest of the midcard under him too, because they can't move up so long as he's stuck in the same position that a guy as over as him really shouldn't be in.

· Registered
866 Posts
He's supposed to be injured in kayfabe so it makes sense that he wasn't here this week.

Losing to Swagger, since he was put in the match he had to lose. Swagger would have looked bad, and it did nothing to Kofi because he wasn't at a 100%.

The ADR stuff is because WWE is pushin ADR (he didn't even look bad, ADR needed help in every instance to take him)

Though personally, I feeling Kofi is getting the shaft but nothing that has happened to him since the rumble has been bad. (He is one of the most over guys around and he is constantly being overlooked which is funny because WWE is busy trying to force ppl to react to certain ppl instead of pushing ppl that get reactions and building those who don't up). Just be glad that if they ever decide to push him to the top he will stay there because he already has the crowd behind him as opposed to being the current flavour of the month as was the case with McIntyre and Sheamus

· Registered
1,852 Posts
Who knows. But like you said he is very over, when he comes back I doubt this sort of stuff will harm him too much. He'll most likely defend the IC title at WM in a low-profile under card match or if MITB is happening take part in that.

I say draft him to RAW, move him up a division and take it from there.

· You're better than that Cole.
4,004 Posts
He ended up in the exact same position last year at this time when it looked like he wasn't even going to get involved in MITB. It's amazing to think they spend the whole year allowing him to look good, then decide to pull the carpet out from under him come WrestleMania time. I know people blamed his last de-push on Randy Orton, but at this stage there really has to be someone higher up who doesn't like him, because they simply won't get right behind him. It hurts the rest of the midcard under him too, because they can't move up so long as he's stuck in the same position that a guy as over as him really shouldn't be in.
Couldn’t have said it any better then this.

I’m not even a fan of Kofi Kingston but it is kind of mind boggling how they are just keeping him on the Intercontinental title level. He is at the point that he is bigger then the secondary titles and needs to atleast be getting No. 1 contenders spots for the World Heavyweight Championship, doesn’t need to win it but can simply play the Shawn Michaels role as looking strong for himself and for his opponent.

· Registered
4,669 Posts
He wasnt even on smackdown this past week (from what i read) havent watched it yet) and I dont understand it....how does the current IC champ, and one of the most guys in the company (for the crap he receives) end up in this position?

· Registered
1,247 Posts
It's the same thing with Morrison. It's so fucking frustrating. Kingston and Morrison are both potential big time Main Event faces, which is something the WWE desperately needs, yet both of them have NOTHING going into Wrestlemania. And I really thought this would be the year that at least ONE of these guys would get a big Wrestlemania moment to help push them to the next level. I guess I was wrong.

· Registered
206 Posts
Not to take away anything from the guy's talent, but... I just don't see Kofi as main event material in his current gimmick. I find his moves, although flashy, repetitive and boring. Theres something that seems much better about him, if he were a heel. The same thing happened with MVP, he was epic as a heel, then WWE turned him face and he did pretty much nothing except grow stale and eventually got released

Kofi seems to be a favourite of so many people and I just cannot see why, sure, this is my opinion, but when I think about how a lot of these Kofi fans are also fans of CM Punk, John Morrison, Daniel Bryan, etc I start to think if they are aware of the major comparison between the Wrestler's (or Superstar's...sorry Vince :D ) and Kofi?

· Registered
1,694 Posts
As much as Kofi Kingston is entertaining, his mic skills are so-so. I do see Kingston as a transitional IC champion who will probably lose the title in a couple of weeks. Another thing that has put Kingston on the back-burner is the fact that he's a babyface wrestler (the WWE Superstars who tend to get pushed are heels who have excellent mic skills [See The Miz].)

· Registered
2,089 Posts
he's talking a backseat to christian and rightfully so

· Registered
196 Posts
I can't really say I'm a fan of his, so I don't really notice his absence... But now that you mention it...

(shrug) Maybe he's just getting lost in the Wrestlemania shuffle.

There's no Money in the Bank this year right? I guess they don't have anything else for him to do then.

· Registered
350 Posts
Because they only need to have 2 feuds at a time and everyone else is just there. doing nothing. he could feud with swagger or anyone but for some reasons that beats me swagger is coaching cole. i almost fell asleep during hart vs vince and now it's happening all again.

· Premium Member
485 Posts
It's the same thing with Morrison. It's so fucking frustrating. Kingston and Morrison are both potential big time Main Event faces, which is something the WWE desperately needs, yet both of them have NOTHING going into Wrestlemania. And I really thought this would be the year that at least ONE of these guys would get a big Wrestlemania moment to help push them to the next level. I guess I was wrong.
Agree completely. Sometimes I wonder if they think having Cena as the top face is all they need. One day they are going to realise the HUGE gap between Cena/Orton/Rey/Edge and the rest of the faces they got in the WWE.

What's more annoying though, if that's even possible, is the fact that they only aim to push their heel talents. Miz, Del Rio, Barrett, Nexus/Corre, Punk, Swagger, Ziggler, McInytre, Rhodes etc. Who have they got on the face side? Morrison? Kofi? Bryan? Thats pretty much all they got, and so far none of them have anything building for Wrestlemania. When put in comparison to the heel side of things with Miz and Del Rio in each respective title match, Punk up against Orton, Swagger involved with Cole/Lawler, Rhodes against Mysterio, and I'm sure they will add a match for Corre, probably against Big Show or something. It just seems very one-sided, we need new faces to get some spotlight in my opinion. Keep a balance.

· Follower of Lockeism
13,625 Posts
Exactly what I thought when I saw that Kofi wasn't on Smackdown this week. Their booking seems rather similar, appart from in Morrison's case...it's not a sure thing that he's getting depushed, he might just have taken the week off. But I mean, Kofi looks great in the rumble and straight after...he get's completely buried for six odd weeks. Morrison has an insane Elimination Chamber performance and straight after loses one week, doesn't appear the next.

They just don't seem to know how to book babyfaces to get to the next level. As soon as they get close, it seems like create get a shock and pull the rug out which is shocking considering the amount of main event level babyface guys leaving in the next couple of years. Edge, Mysterio, Undertaker, Triple H, Big Show etc. Sooner or later, they are seriously only going to be left wtih John Cena and Randy Orton because they just won't give a up and coming face the time of day.

I don't like Kingston so his push doesn't really bother me, but the principal and the fact that they need to push face wrestlers isn't hard to understand. I can only hope they haven't dropped the ball on Morrison after a solid five months of pushing him and give him a good spot at Mania. I don't have a clue what they would do with Kingston...

· Registered
1,604 Posts
Kofi under selling for Orton has earned him the status of career mid carder .

he's talking a backseat to christian and rightfully so
and what is Christian doing exactly other than attacking Del Rio ? .

· Registered
2,318 Posts
Keepin the black man down despite the fact he's one of the most over faces they've had in a long time.

If they really think Orton, Cena, Edge, Mysterio, Show, Taker, Trips are going to last forever...

His position last year with Orton was great for him. Challenging for number 1 contender spots and in an actual fued.

· Registered
1,604 Posts
Hopefully they stick him in a match with R Tooth so all crap can be in the same piss break...
hmm blunt and to the point i like it.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.