Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,942 Posts
Rusev should have been a Main Eventer in the WWE.

Miro has since left the McMahon dictatorship and with creative freedom is making it understandable why the McMahons wouldn't push him. The Gamer gimmick is a low card comedy gimmick. His partnership with Kip is low card comedy stuff. His AEW run has been so horrible so far.

wtf?

Fighting over broken arcade machines is the shit clowns like Sonny Michel, Jungle Boy and Orange Cassidy should be doing. Miro should have been the one going the limit with Cody last night. Actually Miro should have been the one to squash Cody weeks ago. Its what a man his size and with his name recognition should be doing. Miro was on Total Divas for years and was an expensive car driving "alpha male" with a hot wife and who doesn't give a fuck, video games and all that other bullshit is not his personality.

View attachment 91975
This is the Miro we all wanted to see. A badass Destroyer 'Alpha' living the life. Not a comedy Gamer.

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
5,659 Posts
Vince is the babyface on this thread?
Always has been...

How many of these "underutilised stars that Vince held down" turn out actually to be worse elsewhere?

Shawn Spears, Matt Cardona, Matt Hardy, Miro etc. That's just the AEW guys in the past year. We haven't even got into the likes of Damien Sandow.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Miro will (or should) be in a top position in a year. He's already showing his angry, nasty side where he looks like no one can handle him. He's a more convincing beast-like figure than any of AEW's big guys IMO. Cage is good but lacks that added bit of intensity that Miro has.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'd be interested to know the age demographics of those completely against it. Not saying it's a good or bad gimmick, but it'd be interesting to know for perspective. I have a feeling (could be very wrong) those who dislike it will be 25 plus for the most part.

Edit: I ask because I am now 28, having recently finished university which I started at 25. I really thought I was in the loop with teenage/young adult culture before I started. And I was completely wrong. What younger people are watching, listening too and being influenced by today is a world apart from even my generation. It shouldn't be underestimated how popular twitch and online gaming is as there is a huge fanbase. Regardless of whether people think it draws or not. It certainly draws with younger adults/teenagers and children.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Miro will (or should) be in a top position in a year. He's already showing his angry, nasty side where he looks like no one can handle him. He's a more convincing beast-like figure than any of AEW's big guys IMO. Cage is good but lacks that added bit of intensity that Miro has.
I am honestly rather surprised people are completely shitting on it when he's not been on the show longer than like... a month tops? He hasn't even had his first PPV match yet. It's clearly going to be used to establish him as being well above the level he's at right now. I suppose people really aren't willing to let things play out any more and give them a chance first. FWIW, I'm not a huge fan of the initial gimmick, but I can't shit on it until I see it play out really. I'm pretty sure Kip will be getting victimised some time soon, probably around the turn of the year or just after. When we'll then see Miro go on a singles run. There wasn't much else for him to do currently so I'm not completely against it. In fact, I'm quite glad he didn't just debut, win some tournament or battle royal and lose to Mox with fuck all build like others have. Better to let him start in the lower card and try and build up from there even if the initial gimmick hasn't set the world alight. He will get his chance to shine.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Serious question is reality and social media Rusev's biggest enemy? or has it been?

Talented Bulgarian big man with hot Russian manager/wife

Oh she isnt Russian
He isnt really being cuckolded as they are still together all over social media
He probably is more interested in his social media than wrestling
All the other rumours about him
etc etc

Because we actually know the reality of everything does this stop our suspension of disbelief with Miro generally? I believe so

Miro couldnt come into AEW and not talk and just destroy people because we all heard him talk on WWE, we couldnt have Penelope Ford run away with him because we all know he's married to Lana and so on, he couldnt play a Spaniard because we all know hes Bulgarian and so on

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm just not too sure what else he could have really done in AEW as it is currently. For me, he kinda had no choice but to start lower down in a tag team of sorts, where he was clearly levels above somebody else. If for no other reason than to give him something to do and establish his new character.

There is nobody built up enough for him to go over currently that could really take the loss. Anybody of any real stature is largely pre-occupied for the forseeable. He's not beating Moxley straight off, Page/Omega are seemingly on the brink, Cody/Brodie/OC have things going on. MJF and Jericho are about to begin something too it seems.

Who does it really leave? Archer, Kingston and Cage can't afford losses right now and have largely suffered from the sort of issue we can see here with nobody to go up against currently. AEW are really suffering from being brand new and not having an established pecking order, but it's a problem they can't avoid. That hierarchy will take 2/3 years worth of feuds to establish. They need to be given a little bit of time to create the perceived pecking order where debuting wrestlers can slot in with an instant feud. It's one thing WWE is/was very fortunate to have. Wrestlers they could rely on to instantly give a new star some credibility. Your Big Show's, Kane's and the like.

Once Omega and Page really begin their singles run and (hopefully) PAC returns at some point. There will be a lot more option for all of these guys going forward, so give Miro time to really sink his teeth into a proper feud before dismissing him out of hand.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
I'd be interested to know the age demographics of those completely against it. Not saying it's a good or bad gimmick, but it'd be interesting to know for perspective. I have a feeling (could be very wrong) those who dislike it will be 25 plus for the most part.

Edit: I ask because I am now 28, having recently finished university which I started at 25. I really thought I was in the loop with teenage/young adult culture before I started. And I was completely wrong. What younger people are watching, listening too and being influenced by today is a world apart from even my generation. It shouldn't be underestimated how popular twitch and online gaming is as there is a huge fanbase. Regardless of whether people think it draws or not. It certainly draws with younger adults/teenagers and children.
My favourite part of this argument is that it implies that people over 25 don't know much about young adult culture, but someone who is 34 years old does. It's a shit gimmick, no matter how old someone is.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
You can tell the fans stuck in the 80s talking about monsters lol.

With that said,I have not been overly impressed with Miro thus far

Good bet for sure that they are 25+. I like his video game gimmick, just not his talent. He is very Scott Nortonish to me between the ropes. Not blown away, I expected alot more out of him based on what everyone was saying about him online the last few years.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My favourite part of this argument is that it implies that people over 25 don't know much about young adult culture, but someone who is 34 years old does. It's a shit gimmick, no matter how old someone is.
It's not really an argument, it was more a general point and something that would be worth knowing about when discussing this topic. Especially for people to remember that people have their own biases when discussing stuff like this due to our own influences growing up. That includes me. We are clearly not the target audience driving this idea.

He literally is part of young adult culture right now. He's really popular on twitch, it cannot even be denied. My point was more to do with people 25+ are far less likely to partake in stuff like this. I certainly don't, and did not. But it is absolutely massive amongst younger people. I used to think I was into gaming, but younger generations are into it on an entirely different level. It's moved from just being something people do to an entire sub culture of its own worth a lot of money and something Miro is capitalising on. It's something that I don't particularly get but I'm not surprised to see him and AEW capitalise off of it in some form, whether or not it plays out well or not is another thing though. I think it will because people properly into gaming I'd imagine are more likely to cross over into the current wrestling fanbase than other stuff would.

Oh, and using the argument it's a shit gimmick regardless of age is no different from us turning around and saying current popular music is shit too. That it may well be from an objective standpoint, but if it's popular with a particular demographic you'd be remiss to dismiss it out of hand and not look to exploit popular things in some way. It may not translate well in the end and be a massive flop, it may work well and bring new fans in. I don't know, and nor do you at this stage regardless of whether you or I think it is shit or not.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You can tell the fans stuck in the 80s talking about monsters lol.

With that said,I have not been overly impressed with Miro thus far

Good bet for sure that they are 25+. I like his video game gimmick, just not his talent. He is very Scott Nortonish to me between the ropes. Not blown away, I expected alot more out of him based on what everyone was saying about him online the last few years.
Yeah, I'm not blown away either to be honest. But I just find it mad that people will not admit their own biases on things that are clearly not targeted at their demographic. Discussing a topic like this and coming out with really strong opinions without first admitting our own biases due to age, cultural upbringing etc results in people missing the bigger picture, assuming the way we see things is the way everyone else does too.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
This is the problem with this idiotic company. They don’t understand that first impression matters in wrestling. It’s the same philosophy when you go out to apply for a job.

AEW should be coming out with a bang with these guys instead they ruin it with hockey stupid bullshit. Think back to when Rusev first debuted, he was booked strong for a year, awesome entrance at Wrestlemania, but ultimately they fed him to Cena. Nexus again came in dominate, they got everyone’s attention but then they fed them to Cena. Wyatt same thing. WWE fucks up with talent months or years later. Not within weeks like fucking AEW does.

Look at when Styles debuted, he felt like a big time player the moment he came down staring at Reigns, the companies ace. Lesnar came in and destroyed everyone. Great Khali debuted and took out the Undertaker. Del Rio was given a rumble, MiTB, world title run within his first year. The Shield was booked strong. Strowman apart of Wyatt family was built up as a behemoth. These stars only struggle in years time through bad booking, but at the start WWE books them well and makes them look like stars.

AEW makes everyone look like absolute geeks. They have zero idea on how to build a star.

·
Registered
23,976 Posts
I'm just not too sure what else he could have really done in AEW as it is currently. For me, he kinda had no choice but to start lower down in a tag team of sorts, where he was clearly levels above somebody else. If for no other reason than to give him something to do and establish his new character.

There is nobody built up enough for him to go over currently that could really take the loss. Anybody of any real stature is largely pre-occupied for the forseeable. He's not beating Moxley straight off, Page/Omega are seemingly on the brink, Cody/Brodie/OC have things going on. MJF and Jericho are about to begin something too it seems.

Who does it really leave? Archer, Kingston and Cage can't afford losses right now and have largely suffered from the sort of issue we can see here with nobody to go up against currently. AEW are really suffering from being brand new and not having an established pecking order, but it's a problem they can't avoid. That hierarchy will take 2/3 years worth of feuds to establish. They need to be given a little bit of time to create the perceived pecking order where debuting wrestlers can slot in with an instant feud. It's one thing WWE is/was very fortunate to have. Wrestlers they could rely on to instantly give a new star some credibility. Your Big Show's, Kane's and the like.

Once Omega and Page really begin their singles run and (hopefully) PAC returns at some point. There will be a lot more option for all of these guys going forward, so give Miro time to really sink his teeth into a proper feud before dismissing him out of hand.
You could've easily slotted him in the Will Hobbs spot during the Darby vs Team Taz story. You could've had him straight up debut in or save. Or had him have a couple squashes Taz tries to recruit him. Him and Cage have this weird big man tension both times, and Miro notices they're scumbags and he decides to help Darby because fuck those guys. Then from there have them loosely team as an odd couple maybe go feud with MJF and Wardlow. MJF character wise seems like he would hate Darby for sure and probably Miro. Miro character wise would hate the snooby MJF and him vs Wardlow is another big beefy battle. They split at that point then maybe he goes after Brodie Lee and is the one to put The Dark Order out of its misery. By now he's had 3 feuds won them and you can send him at either belt and it's believable.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The issue is also this stupid "The Best Man" nickname too, it brings him down, hell I don't get why he didn't win that battle royal at All Out, have him come in and take apart everyone in the match rather than Matt Sydal who hasn't had any impact what so ever outside of a botch. Or if you really want Archer as a contender, just have him turn up and go on a tear much like how he started on the main roster. Taking out people left and right, build him up as a strong guy instead of a comedy act.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You could've easily slotted him in the Will Hobbs spot during the Darby vs Team Taz story. You could've had him straight up debut in or save. Or had him have a couple squashes Taz tries to recruit him. Him and Cage have this weird big man tension both times, and Miro notices they're scumbags and he decides to help Darby because fuck those guys. Then from there have them loosely team as an odd couple maybe go feud with MJF and Wardlow. MJF character wise seems like he would hate Darby for sure and probably Miro. Miro character wise would hate the snooby MJF and him vs Wardlow is another big beefy battle. They split at that point then maybe he goes after Brodie Lee and is the one to put The Dark Order out of its misery. By now he's had 3 feuds won them and you can send him at either belt and it's believable.
That's a fair point and I think probably would have been better than what we're seeing currently, I will give you that. But even with that situation, Brian Cage potentially ends up taking a loss that he can't really afford right now. It's not an easy thing to get around, they have lots of wrestlers that are at a stage where they can't really afford to lose. I think it's 50/50 on who and what is to blame for that. Also, Wardlow is another one who can't really afford to take losses all that often currently. They have too many people that really cannot take a loss and remain credible. The only men they had able to do that currently are Jericho and PAC for me.

Losing PAC has singlehandedly wrecked their ability to be able to bridge the gap between the mid card and main event, without it seeming like hot shotting. PAC has that weird aura where he's able to trade wins and losses and still feel legit. But on the other hand, they have also absolutely wasted Jericho post title run, who could have fit into that role PAC has left seamlessly. There aren't that many options currently for their mid card to feud with. They either get built up and fed to the champ after a brief run of wins, or left in a weird state of purgatory, rotating between a title feud and then nothing like we've seen from Brodie, Lance, Eddie and Cage this year. They end up flirting and teasing the idea of feuding between each other, but never do. That will hopefully be far less of an issue in a years time with Page/Omega, PAC returning and Darby/MJF being pushed.

Also, if that was the route they decided to go down with Miro, people would have said they're All Ex WWE. That oh so funny meme. Refusing to push or hire non WWE guys. It's a delicate balance right now which I think they could improve on, but it shouldn't be that big of an issue long term. We will see Miro get pushed and his start will become irrelevant in time I think.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts