Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Matches with no fans overall are no good. Promos without crowds have proved to be excellent that from this day forward I never want to see another live promo in front of the audience ever again. Seriously, every WWE show since this whole Corona mess started has been filled with great promos, from Edge, Orton, Heyman, Seth, Owens, Cena ect... such great stuff. The silence in the building has made them better for me, probably made the wrestlers more confident idk but I prefer promos being cut this way, with the crowd silent and not chanting dumb shit like "WHAT"

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Matches with no fans overall are no good. Promos without crowds have proved to be excellent that from this day forward I never want to see another live promo in front of the audience ever again. Seriously, every WWE show since this whole Corona mess started has been filled with great promos, from Edge, Orton, Heyman, Seth, Owens, Cena ect... such great stuff. The silence in the building has made them better for me, probably made the wrestlers more confident idk but I prefer promos being cut this way, with the crowd silent and not chanting dumb shit like "WHAT"
This makes you appreciate guys like Rock, or Cena - who were so good at cutting promos in front of a crowd. Rock is obvious - but Cena doesn't get enough credit for that. It's so much more difficult to be able to do so in front of a crowd - especially someone like Cena who gets all kinds of hate and reactions from audiences - than it is to do so without a crowd.

I do agree with your point though. I think WWE cutting pre-recorded backstage promos more in future could address some of that.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes. Vince should buy all the tickets himself and then every single promo would sound good without the crowd interacting and the talent not having to worry about engaging the crowd. The matches are already scripted, winner predetermined and now, the promos are prewritten and delivered uninterrupted irrespective of how good (or bad) it is. It would be a perfect movie.

·
Registered
11,594 Posts
Promos have been insanely good last 3 weeks from Edge, Orton, Cena, Wyatt, Rollins. Ironically the worst promo last 3 weeks was Austin, that was awful attempt at humor.

But live fans haven't listened to promos have 25 years. I have been at events where wrestlers or guys like Bischoff were drowned out with booing where you can't hear a word.

Monday night war really conditioned fans that pro wrestling is a bunch of skits and catchphrases that fans chant along.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If you not having empty arena brawls in empty arenas, then there’s no point in doing matches in venues like that in general. Part of the appeal of empty arena matches is the idea of witnessing a knockdown, drag out, no holds barred kind of brawl. Lawlessness is the whole point. Otherwise, you are left with witnessing a wrestling match in its purest form without distractions from the audience. Which can be appealing in its own way, but only in the short term.

Promos are more focus and to the point now. And no more What? chants. Promos can be promos again. I do not know if there is any point in continuing to do promos in front of a live audience if what's been produced in the last few weeks is the best WWE's been in a long while.

·
Registered
23,417 Posts
It’s taught me 2 things. Some times when it comes to more personal rivalries, not having a crowd can help make things feel more personal. Because with no crowd noise, you focus on the performer that much more.

And #2, the matches have a ceiling with no crowd. They can try to be great, but with no people to react or play to, it’s like your missing the soul of the match.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
The promos are movie-like. I wouldn’t even be embarrassed to show people “this is wrestling”.

Unfortunately, in the matches, without the crowd putting over every little move with a reinforcing response, the viewer at home isn’t worked into believing it’s “real” to anywhere near the same extent. Matches look way more stupid.

Daniel Bryan’s match was good actually, but that’s the only one I felt comfortable watching in an empty arena.

I loved Seth and KO’s promos. Loved Cena/Wyatt’s exchange. Loved Taker’s movie-like promo. Loved all of AJ’s promos (while understanding he was padding out time in one since they don’t have much new content). Loved Edge and Orton’s promos. Liked Roman and Goldberg’s promos. Even Paul Heyman was better without being shackled by all the tricks he cleverly uses for live crowds (didn’t like the excessive real life content, but that’s a different topic).

The only promos that were absolutely terrible were the ones where they essentially copy + pasted an equivalent live crowd promo and formula in general (most of the Bayley/Sasha/Cross stuff). I like Sasha, but her doing her exact entrance like she’s a robot oblivious to the situation felt so rehearsed and was a remember of how fake this is.

The matches overall... feel really dumb.

It’s almost like I find myself waking up and going “really? You like wrestling? This is so stupid”.

In conclusion, the best and worst aspects of what I think about wrestling have oth been significantly amplified.

I’ve always liked the promos (excluding all the simple, live crowd Pavlovian tricks) and I’ve never really enjoyed the pure in-ring unless it’s either realistic (Bryan / Bret Hart) or the crowd is putting someone over like a superhero (Hogan / Rock / Reigns). Everything else is cringier than ever.

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,492 Posts
It's easier to be more confident when you don't have to worry about boring the crowd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts