Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, the constant complaining that goes on in this forum is pretty ridiculous in my honest opinion. WWE has given us so much in recent years, and everyone, every time just demands more and it's just ludicrous now. How about I go through just a few things that they've done for us in recent years - and weeks.

Well, first of all, the IWC's beloved CM Punk got this HUGE push back in 2011. He delivered some of the most incredible promos since the Attitude Era, and not to mention the 434 day long title reign. He also did some spectacular heel work, as well as going over Cena many times - which I'm sure you all loved.
Also, WWE brought back the Rock for some outstanding promos and matches. He won the WWE Championship for the first time in years, as well as introducing a gloriously sexy new title belt, much better than that John Cena spinner goofy thing, right? No one was expecting a return back then, but it happened, and everyone was over the moon.

We've had some great talent in recent years as well, from the outstanding mic skills of Damien Sandow to the great ring work of Antonio Cesaro. They're both very new to WWE and will no doubt have good pushes in the future.

Does anybody remember RAW 1000? That was an incredible show. They brought back so many wrestlers, including The APA, Bob Backlund, Diamond Dallas Page, Doink The Clown, Rikishi, Road Warrior Animal, Roddy Piper, Sgt. Slaughter, Sycho Sid, Vader, Dude Love and D-Generation X (Road Dogg, Billy Gunn, Shawn Michaels, Triple H and x-Pac). The Rock also returned, as well as a Punk heel turn to top it all off at the end.

There is so much between then and now that I could go in to, but I'm not going to bother at the moment.

So now, we have the incredible ring worker and smark favourite Daniel Bryan being pushed to the main event status, and with Triple H (who many feel is the greatest of all time heel), is the villain in the storyline. They've recently brought back an amazing entertainer in Shawn Michaels, as well as only bringing Cena back in the secondary championship picture, while bringing much needed and wanted prestige to the WHC.

So there's all of this, and much more, that outlines my point that WWE has not been awful in recent years, that they have in fact been fantastic, and I very much enjoy today's product. Good day.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I agree, and I know a large amount of people will agree. The product is far from perfect, but to say that they haven't made strides is asinine in every sense of the word.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
i guess i'll be the dick and say it. raw 1000 sucked and it was just a parade of old wrestlers who wanted to show us how badly they've aged. i think lita was the only one that still looked good. of course, she's a chick so she can just slap on a pound of makeup. it should have been a ppv caliber supershow. instead they went the lazy route.

the product is basically the same quality as it has been for years. they occasionally do something cool and creative, but for the most part is same old mediocre shit. rehashing same storylines from yesteryear. for every good match we get we also get a shitty divas match or anything involving great khali. the lost masturbators with their gay ass bull is just pure insulting to anyone mexican with even a little bit of pride.

you can go back to last year, 2 years ago, 3 years ago, and find similar posts on wrestling forums everywhere about how the product has been improving. why's everyone complaining? well why is it always in a state of "making strides" and never actually good?

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
I'd prefer more than one type of wrestler be pushed in a major role. I want to see a jacked alpha male beast crushing people with brute force, not just normal-looking guys with average looks, average size, and average aggression who have all the top roles.

I want my pulse to not flatline during the top storylines anymore.

As for the people who bitch even though their favs have the top pushes. . .they're just spoiled and ungrateful. They'll never be happy unless their favs are booked like untouchable supermen. And even then they'll bitch if someone else gets a win over a major guy instead of their guy.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd prefer more than one type of wrestler be pushed in a major role. I want to see a jacked alpha male beast crushing people with brute force, not just normal-looking guys with average looks, average size, and average aggression who have all the top roles.
Ryback was and still is (sort of) doing that a lot, with the demolition of backstage people and the local competitors. Brock Lesnar was also throwing people around, getting in brawls and everything. The Lesnar-HHH match was actually pretty hardcore.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm surprised the words incredible and fantastic are used to describe todays WWE.

I think the product absolutely blows.

Every week i promise myself to give up watching this tragedy but like the moron i am when Monday comes around i think "cool raw is on tonight" :brees

Though i agree in recent years their has been some great stuff. Money in the Bank 2011 was brilliant. The Rocks return was cool. New talent like The Shield guys and Bray Wyatt are interesting.
But these are all few and very far between. What about all the steaming pile of dross 90% of the time?.

I feel the product is a shell of its former glory and why i fell in love with it 20 odd years ago.
It tries to be so relevant and mainstream with its shameless advertising and social media plugs in my face every chance it gets at the cost of great story lines and booking.

WWE tries to appeal to a wider audience but i feel it's forgot what made it so popular in the first place. You simply cannot please everyone.

If you think todays product is incredible and fantastic then either your a new fan who knows no better or a long term fan who was smart enough to realize that the show has changed and not ment for us anymore.

Annoyingly im not smart enough so i spend my time moaning and hating :jt3

·
Premium Member
8,294 Posts
People will always complain, because different people have different views. One group of people won't like aspect A, other people won't like aspect B, some people won't like any aspect, and a select few will eat up everything with a wooden spoon (it's these people you really need to worry about).

WWE have done a lot of great things over the past few years, but that doesn't necessarily negate all of the abhorantely awful things that they've done (or will do). You can't look at it like that. People will appreciate the things that they enjoy and demonize the things that they don't.

This is the IWC; where everyone is bi-polar, and the worst match of the night automatically relegates someone to being the most awful performer in the history of man, and the promo of the night is the greatest thing that anyone has ever witnessed. People exaggerate, people bitch, but if you look closely enough, there's also generally a large amount of positive energy when something great does occur.

Until there's consistency throughout the entire show/card/PPV/week/month/year, there will always be something to complain about.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Ryback was and still is (sort of) doing that a lot, with the demolition of backstage people and the local competitors. Brock Lesnar was also throwing people around, getting in brawls and everything. The Lesnar-HHH match was actually pretty hardcore.
Yeah that's why I like him (see sig). He isn't pushed enough though, so there's not a whole hell of a lot to be excited about for me when he appears. It's like hey look it's Ryback, cool. . .except then he has to job to The Shield literally two dozen times over a 4 month period with no revenge. Then has to pointlessly job to Henry while still jobbing to The Shield. Then jobs to Cena a few times with another job to The Shield thrown in for no reason but to remind people that Ryback never got revenge on them and never will. Then he has to run a shitty Cryback gimmick for awhile to kill off his image and popularity. Then he has to job to Punk in a sweep all over again the moment he's given a gimmick and pairing that seems like it might work. I mean where's the positive in that? There's nothing to even mark for. He's just used to get other people over. Almost always people I don't give a shit about.

Brock I also like but I have a similar problem with his booking. He loses almost every time, and all of his wins seem like flukes. There's nothing satisfying about them at all since they're "booked down" to their competition, and made to look incredibly weak at PPVs.

I can appreciate a wrestler like Daniel Bryan who tries hard and is good in the ring (as well as a kind of underrated athlete), and I'm glad he's on the show and even getting pushed. But I can't just live on that alone.

It's like if a make a salad, I don't just want lettuce and celery in it (Daniel Bryan). I want meats and cheeses too so it's an overall delicious meal rather than just something I can barely taste to fill my stomach with. Ryback would be the meat and cheese for me, the part that spices up the whole thing and makes me look forward to eating it.

Otherwise it's just a pile of nearly tasteless vegetables to me. Fills the hole, but I always walk away thinking about what else I could've had instead. Then I consider not eating another salad again until I have enough meat and cheese available to make it worth the time.

And no I'm not trying to make a feed me more pun or anything. :yum:

·
The human torch was denied a bank loan.
7,576 Posts
It shows people will always complain. I remember in 2009/2010 people were complaining about Punk being underutilized, Vince hates Punk etc. Then he got a massive push, MITB2011 was one of the best PPVs in years, CHRISTIAN WON A WORLD TITLE, and a month later people were already complaining that Punk was a bad champion. People used to complain about short title reigns; Punk gets a 1+ year long title reign which is amazing in this day and age and people complained about it being boring and ratings going down bla bla.

Hell, I'll go back much further to the old ROH days. CM Punk and Bryan Danielson were the top guys in ROH and I remember people saying they'd never get signed by the WWE and will never be stars because the WWE sucks. Same later on with Claudio Castagnoli, Chris Hero, Evan Bourne, the list goes on. The Rock fuckin' returned which seemed impossible. BRET HART returned and was involved in storylines. They put a bunch of young bucks in one stable and had them attack big names (Nexus). They got loads of TV time despite being rookies. People then complained Wade Barrett didn't go over Cena and didn't win the WWE Title.... Ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts