Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's constantly brought up and was even acknowledged by Cena himself. How many similarities are there that actually makes Cena a rehash of Hulk Hogan in a different body and era?

Let's see...
- "Take your vitamins and say your prayers" = "Hustle. Loyalty. Respect"
- Both have a superman character that overcomes the odds.
- Both wear light colored attires.
- Both are loved by the kids.
- Always fighting the bad guys and representing the "positive".
- And both have pretty simple finishers. A fireman's carry and a legdrop.
- Last but not least, to rephrase Cena "he just took the hand from behind his ear, brother, and put it in front of his face".

Any more similarities that would show Cena has basically been booked as the modern day Hogan? Except nowadays the adult fans don't buy it because wrestling being scripted is well known and cartoony stuff like how Cena is booked are despised.

·
Banned
2,229 Posts
Too be honest I don't see how Cena is continously compared to greats like Austin, Rock, and Hogan. The guy ain't even bigger than Taker HBK hhh, and Brett were in my opinion. them 4 didn't need title matches to keep relevant and main event. Cena does. He isn't as big in star power as any of them either.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Too be honest I don't see how Cena is continously compared to greats like Austin, Rock, and Hogan. The guy ain't even bigger than Taker HBK hhh, and Brett were in my opinion. them 4 didn't need title matches to keep relevant and main event. Cena does. He isn't as big in star power as any of them either.
You're missing the point. It's not a thread where I'm comparing Cena to Hogan, just the way Cena's character is presented as a rehash of Hogan's character with the same superman gimmick. So please, save your Cena hatred for another thread.

·
Banned
2,229 Posts
You're missing the point. It's not a thread where I'm comparing Cena to Hogan, just the way Cena's character is presented as a rehash of Hogan's character with the same superman gimmick. So please, save your Cena hatred for another thread.
Apologies. Well in that sense then yeah they are very comparable.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Cena is like hogan because Cena is all about "fighting for whats right" and "fighting for america" the troops and all that crap.

however, non-wrestling fans knew who Hulk Hogan was - people outside of wrestling don't know who John Cena is

·
#FunFact™
7,513 Posts
Winning all the time, being kid friendly, being a long-tenured face, being the top guy in WWE for a long time. Need anymore comparisons?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I got a difference though, Cena's not a egotistical politician.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
LOL @ Bret and HBK being bigger than Cena. While it's true that one was a masterful technician and the other put on extraordinary matches with consistency, they couldn't draw flies to a fucking garbage can and almost drove the company into the ground during their tenure as the top guys.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a difference though, Cena's not a egotistical politician.
He certainly doesn't seem like a backstage politician as it is but I'll judge that when he becomes more "expensive" and doesn't wrestle full time, used only for "special" events, like having a match with whoever is a top face in 10 or 13 years.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Cena is a lucky guy who got a huge push. That's what makes you compare him with the Hogans, the Rocks and the Austins. He is nothing near to where Hogan was at this point of his career.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Didn't you hear, brother!? He moved the hand away from his ear, and waved it in front of his face, brother!

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
they are the same gimmicks

the only difference is that hulk got cheered since he was in a keyfabe era , so no wonder that gimmick was mega over

but cena hs the same "happy-go-lucky" gimmick , but the reason why he gets booed is like what the rock says , people can see through bullshit in 2011 , it's not the 80's anymore

although in all fairness to the gimmick , cena started getting those boos in 2005 while feuding with jericho and angle , he had the rapper/soldier gimmick back then
but it wasn't until mid 2007 where cena started getting legit hate and seriously being booed in every arena

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
They are the same.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts