Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly , I think the essential three ingredients for a great match are:

1. Obviously, first you need two skilled wrestlers that know what they are doing and can tell a good story in the ring.

2. A crowd that isn't dead, one that is basically loud, passionate, marking out.

3. A great announce team that elevates everything to the next level.

The third one is what I want to discuss. What, for you, makes for a great wrestling announcer?

Here's my list.

1. Distinct voice. This one is pretty simple. I find guys like Cole, Grisham, and Striker to not be so entertaining because they have very ordinary, bland, plain white guy voices. I think a great announcer needs a very distinct tone, vocal character, accent, whatever, something that just makes them instantly recognizable and easy to listen to. When JR talks, or Ventura, or McMahon, or old heel Lawler talked, you always knew who it was. They all had distinct voices. Now, most of these dudes are interchangeable drones.

2. The announcer should have strong opinions, and blatantly pick a side. They need to pick an alignment and stick to it. I hate how you have all these tweener announcers, it doesn't work for me. And every show should have one heel and one face commentator. Each one should argue and debate the merits of the feud/wrestlers, and believe he's right. I always find it entertaining when the announcers argue amongst themselves, and/or are openly supportive of a particular wrestler. As much as it kills me to say it, I do like how Cole is an unabashed Miz fan. This isn't the NFL, the announcers have no need to be impartial, so let them be over-the-top biased.

3. Passion. This is so simple, but almost all the guys now don't have it. Back in the day, if Austin or somebody did something cool, the announcers would go apeshit and almost have a heart attack, they were that pumped up. That over the top enthusiasm was so infectious you couldn't help but get excited with them. Now, even the biggest events only elicit weakass responses from the announcers. A blah reaction in them gets a blah reaction from me.

4. Exaggerate everything. This is another under-rated aspect. The announcer has to make every match seem like it's World War 3. He needs to amplify the feud, he needs to make every suplex into a life-threatening injury, he needs to transform the boring into high drama. I miss the way they used to do this. It's like... you'd see a guy take a big bump, and you could tell it hurt, BUT the announcer would be like " OMFG ...HIS BACK IS BROKEN! HE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME MAN AGAIN!!!! OMG!" etc. etc. It always makes me smile when they say just like these outrageous bullshit comments, but you can't help but laugh at it.

What are yours?

·
Registered
127 Posts
In addition to yours. A great announcer needs another great announcer to feed off of a la Monsoon/Ventura Monsoon/Heenan King/JR. Needs to be able to call the match without being fed lines constantly. Needs to be able to add to the match without being a focal point or distracting from the action.

·
Banned
5,666 Posts
-Actually call the match
-Have the ability to get emotionally involved in a match(only JR really managed to do this
-Distinctive voice

The second and third options are the reasons that JR was so special as an announcer.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
They need to be able to call a match properly and when going off topic, actually have interesting things to say.

And of course, they need to have emotion when a big moment happens.

Not just wwe, but other sports there's commentators who are real boring while others are real great when something big happens.

Might not be wwe videos but still, these are great commentary moments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMgM8BAJarQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVhXZd04hVw

WWE needs commentators like that. People who can put guys over and make moments seem bigger than they actually are. How much heat do people think the Miz might have gotten if Cole didn't rub Miz in everybodies face for the past year?

·
Banned
3,560 Posts
Don West was my favourite, he had it all. JBL was great and Cole comes third to the both of them. I enjoy humour, sure you need a face to bounce these heels off of but it still doesn't change the facts. A heel commentator is usually a lot funnier which makes them a lot more entertaining.

The main trait you need is enthusiasm, which is what these three I mentioned have. Wit which they all had, good sense of humour which they all have.

Able to call a match which they all do and to care about what they're calling. That's what made JR good and what makes Lawler suck atm. Grisam and Matthews are good but they're saps. Striker is likeable but he looks too deep into things that aren't there, he makes the wrestler seem more intelligent and the mistakes worse than they are. Don West usually got the psychology spot on and he also was able to improvise a match which was going funny and explained why certain actions happened "like when Angle raked the eye of Styles at what ppv was it again".

·
Registered
648 Posts
For me a great announcer needs to above all be able to call a match. He should know the moves, and he should be professional. That doesn't mean he can't have serious mark out moments when something big happens, but they need to be reserved for BIG moments. I hate it when announcers are trying exaggerate everything, though it can be amusing at times.

While voice is important, it is not everything. He should be witty, and have a good heel color guy to bounce off of. Best heel of all time? Booby Heenan. Anyone aspiring to be a heel commentator would do well to listen to some old matches called by Heenan. He could make any play by play guy sound good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts