Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems for the newbies (ha, I joined Dec last year - and I never joined WWE universe), I was wondering what you considered the important qualities to get a great match are...

SO, I think I have a list, anyone wanting to add to it, feel free. But what do you consider is needed to make a great match.

1. Heat between opponents (history).
2. Good promos explaining (generating) heat for the feud.
3. Characters of the wrestlers. (Explaining the heat for the match)
4. The aggressive wrestling skills of the opponents.
5. Selling of moves.
6. The percieved toughness of the competitors (can they kick out of a finishing move, and make it look believable).
7. Overness of the crowd reaction to the competitors.

SO what would you rate most important to a good match?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Personally, I like a nice action filled match full of great athleticism.
If it's a match for a title, especially, I'd like good heat between opponents alongside the promos, etc.

·
Banned
4,120 Posts
I was seriously going to ask this earlier lol.

I've seen my fair share of matches, a small percentage of which I considered a "great" match. These include (but are not limited to): Austin/Hart at Survivor Series 96 and WrestleMania 13; Michaels/Mankind at In Your House: Mind Games; a number of Bryan Danielson matches (vs. Gibson, vs. Storm, vs. McGuinness, etc.); and, most recently, Roderick Strong vs. Davey Richards (a match that I consider one of the greatest I've ever seen), as well as El Generico vs. Kevin Steen, at ROH Final Battle 2010. I loved all of those matches, but I couldn't really explain why when telling my dad, at least about the latter two from ROH. They were just... awesome, if you will.

However, I'm not really sure why I considered them to be great matches.

EDIT: I thought about it for a few hours, and I think one of the things that I loved about Richards/Strong was the high number of big moves and near-falls. It made it exciting, IMO.

·
ALL HAIL THE MAHARAJA
2,284 Posts
I would like to add in-ring chemistry with the opponents as it important for a match to flow perfectly.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
What they do at that moment, at that spectacle, at that time... and how they do it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
For me its mainly the action and chemistry of the opponents and DEFINATELY crowd reactions.
The crowd reaction for Mickie James vs Trish at WM 22 and RVD vs Cena @ One Night
Stand totally added to those matches. Its a shame really that the crowd nowadays don't really react to much or at all unless Cena or Orton makes an appearance it seems.

·
Banned
373 Posts
A good story that has a series of well performed matches and ends meaning something.

·
Registered
105 Posts
*Good Storyline build up
*Good crowd / good atmosphere
*A lot of near falls (thats a thing for me :))
*No botches
*JR's commentaries :(
*Great selling of moves. Ziggler

Optional
*Fast paced
* Technical chain wrestling

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
What makes a great match? For me:

1. Reasonable pacing
2. Moves sold well with a decent amount of contact
3. A good number of spots(NOT a spotfest)
4. Some type of story being told
5. A climactic finish
6. Crowd must be hot
7. Has to go on for at least 15 minutes
8. Great commentary
9. Limited botches

·
Broadcast Journalist
280 Posts
7. Overness of the crowd reaction to the competitors.
Crowd reaction is really under-rated a lot of the time and taken for granted. It can be the difference between a red-hot match and a really good one. Just look at that RAW event a few weeks ago in Texas (I think anyway), the audience were fired up and it just made everything seem more important.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts