Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
copy of a copy of a
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering.

Many prefer the (at times) over-the-top style brought in by the likes of The Miz, Rock, Ken Anderson (Kennedy) and Alex Riley. It can be enjoyable listening to obnoxious babble with heavy emphasis and Jim Carrey-esque facial expressions, but is it necessarily good? As always, this is a matter of personal preferance, so I'm asking yours.

I enjoy anyone who can say their shit naturally and prevent any awkward pauses or talking like Stephen Hawking's speech simulator. You don't need the crazy eyes or amazing body language to make you good in my books. Take Daniel Bryan: he gets his point through, following a reaction, with very little done. He sounds natural and real even when he's ripping apart the fans and drawing heat as a heel. Another great example is Wade Barrett.

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,904 Posts
I agree with Tarfu. I don't like over the top delivery 90% of the time, as i've said before I prefer watching wrestling that doesn't remind me i'm watching a corny soap opera every two minutes. With the exception of 3 or 4 guys in the company I have a hard time sitting through most promos in the WWE right now because they feel overproduced, cartoonish and unnatural.

·
Usertitle ist hier
11,699 Posts
Thinking about it, Miz has done everything Kennedy did not.

1. Stayed healthy and out of trouble.

2. Improved in the ring a whole heap and has been involved in top matches at the last two PPV's.

3. Gradually altered his character, including on the mic, to be more diverse than just a guy that beats up nerds. A more intent character slant has allowed Miz to take the next step, something Kennedy never did. Except for a few occasions, his character never really grew.

·
I must away and tend to my ravens
11,236 Posts
Two slightly different things OP. A good talker simply has to go out and recite their lines well which is what the best talkers in WWE do. A good promo requires the additional ability to come up with your own material.

To use a WWE example, think about Joe Hennig on NXT 2. The first couple of times he got on the mic he took a lot of people (those who were familiar with FCW) by surprise because he did really well but towards the end he seemed far less prepared and failed badly. To use another, think of some of Jericho's early WWE work, he made more mic botches than most of us would like to hear but he came up with it himself and had something of substance to say so he got away with it.

To use a non wrestling analogy, think of the difference between an actor on stage and a stand-up comedian.

·
Banned
6,893 Posts
A good talker always hits the following key marks:

• Puts over his gimmick
  • Puts over his opponent
  • Sells the angle
  • Sells the upcoming match
As long as the guy is charismatic and hits those four marks, nothing else matters. Sadly, not many guys actually do hit those marks these days, which is why so many 'top' guys are shitty promos. TNA's 'young' guys could learn a thing or two.

·
Celestial Messiah
33,588 Posts
Mark of a great talker is simple enough. You have to put over yourself and the other guy, make the angle look 10 times more intense and epic, and most important of all, sell some fucking tickets.

Thats been the entire point of promos since Nature Boy Buddy 'Fucking' Rogers first grabbed the stick in 1963 and revolutionized wrestling when he cut that promo that very first time. He got people interested, and he put butts in those seats.

·
Registered
222 Posts
To me, a great talker is one who captivates his audience. He can get them to believe in what he is saying even if it's nonsense. Most times it's not what you say but how you say it. The power of that can not be underestimated.

·
You're a mong.
5,399 Posts
I'm usually more interested in the talkers who sound natural. Triple H, Double A, JBL, Roberts, Austin are probably the first ones that come into my head. They get their points across in very different ways, yet it doesn't sound like some contrived bullshit like the majority of promos do today.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Anyone who doesn't end his promo by going "...and tonight?..." and then spouting off some line about what's going to happen.

·
I'M A WOLF BEAST GUY
5,247 Posts
I like all kinds really. I don't tune into WWE to see realistic promos and talkers. You get caricatures like Rock, Kennedy, Austin, JBL, Flair, HBK, Taker, Cena etc. There are hardly any examples of 'realistic' talkers in the wrestling business as they're all spouting catchphrases and clichés at a rate that even Muhammad Ali would've been ashamed of. I'm not too keen on the professional wrestling business mimicking MMA or boxing in the promo department as it's forgetting that it's supposed to be an alternative. At it's height, pro wrestling wasn't that successful because it had guys like Davey Richards monologuing to the camera about how he's not an actor.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

• Puts over his gimmick
  • Puts over his opponent
  • Sells the angle
Absoultely fucking true, although I feel that the highlighted one is too often forgotten. If you dont put your opponent over as a threat, nobody cares if you win an you look stupid if you lose.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

• Puts over his gimmick
  • Puts over his opponent
  • Sells the angle
As long as the guy is charismatic and hits those four marks, nothing else matters. Sadly, not many guys actually do hit those marks these days, which is why so many 'top' guys are shitty promos. TNA's 'young' guys could learn a thing or two.
This is pretty much what it requires to be a good promo. Not enough people get over the match or opponent, as long as they get there own shit they probably think they've done a good promo. As for TNA's young guys well they are pretty shit at promos an could learn how to cut a good one, its why Russo writes near enough everything that comes out of there mouths, cause there not good enough.

Go watch Raven and Foley promos, then you'll understand what makes a great mic worker.

Mr Kennedy is great too, fits his gimmick like a glove.
Raven and Mick are two of the best promos ever, yeah if you watch a lot of those two you'll get the gist of what a good promo is. But however Kennedy well he has good deliver but he doesnt get his oppenent, match, angle over. He gets his own shit in but thats about it.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
What makes a good promo?

Good writing.

(That includes guys who improvise their own promos. They're creating/writing it, it's just that they do it on the fly very well)

Given, you also need to have a shred of talent to make a promo work, but if it's a shitty promo (Tonight, I'm gonna beat the shit out of this guy, and then....I'm going to (Insert PPV) and I'm gonna take the title. Take what's rightfully mine.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts