Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I remember:
- A good story and a reason for the combatants to be in the cell.
- A prize worth fighting for such as the championship
- Blood in this match tells a huge story of the risks and odds on the line in the match
- The spots such as climbing on top of the cell or hanging on to the cell to perform a move
- The pure wrestling ability and its hardcore nature

anything I am missing?? please add :D

·
Men with Ven
4,280 Posts
Emotion - A feud thats been built for months and months, the people involved hate each other, there's so much personal feelings involved, the only way to end the rivalry. This is the main issue with the HIAC PPV - matches get thrown in the cell with little build.

Brutality - The cell actually being used, not just a standard match with a couple of bumps against the wall, the competitors should want to destroy each other.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I think originally with Hell in a Cell, it was a match reserved for guys capable of pulling off a spectacle (Shawn Michaels, Undertaker, Mick Foley) and they did, they had some of the best matches, took some of the craziest bumps and put it all on the line. Later on in 2002 we saw the Cell match change a little, the Jericho-HHH and Lesnar-Undertaker matches were still fairly brutal by today's standards but the crazy spots weren't there and it started shifting things more to where we are now, just another NO DQ match inside a Cell. I really don't think we're going to see anything like we did in the late 90s/early 00s Hell in a Cell matches again but for me those will always be the ones that everything else is compared to.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The Cell is a weapon and prevents an opponent from escaping. These are 2 huge elements of the storytellers toolset.

With the Punk match, Paul Heyman can't escape. That's a huge part of this ongoing storyline. There is the added element of Punk having to cheat to beat Ryback in the same match a year earlier.

It is simply a storytelling device, which is all any gimmick should be.

·
From Finland with love
1,196 Posts
Not much to give to this thread anymore, but here's my 5 cents anyhow:

- A good storytelling. HIAC is supposed to be rough and dangerous match type so make it to be like that! This is not something to be whored out in every PPV. Just make it special!

- Do not forgive that it's not supposed to be a pointless brawl! Best HIAC's that i have seen are between guys who know what they do in that ring. This goes with the first point of this post.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The biggest problem is that Hell in a Cell matches do not translate very well into the PG era, since the entire concept was to sell the cell. The cell is a steel juggernaut that’s destructive and unforgiving. Win or lose, when it’s over, the wrestlers come out bloodied and beaten… that was back then.

Now that people aren’t allowed to bleed, it dampens the magnitude these HIAC matches once had to offer. We might see one or two accidental cuts, but nothing more. I say just scrap them, before they get even more embarrassing.

…next year it will be Cena vs Kirby in a marshmallow jelly playground match.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The fact they have the cell as a ppv of its own took away a lot of the excitement for me. The stars today don't take as big of risks or bumps. People go in and the winner walks out.. That's not how it should be. The cell is a dangerous weapon and like stated before, both should be wore out beaten bruised. That's no longer the case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.