Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From 2013-2015 Bryan was the most over guy in the company. The question was what made you like him? What made him gravitate to you?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
this is a trick question for me cause I liked him basically since he was first in WWE but I can't really fully tell you why outside of him having this everyman charisma that I just gravitated towards him. Can't really explain it properly.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
18,259 Posts
Great in the ring and a common man underdog.

He's that guy who SHOULDN'T have got where he did. It felt like us fans were winning, something we hadn't really got in a decade. I mean we got a glimpse of it with Punk, who was much better on the mic than Bryan but he never really got his BIG Wrestlemania moment and storyline like Bryan did.

Remember, we had just pretty much had a decade of dominance from John Cena - so to get this guy who was basically universally loved beat him. CLEAN. And then put into a huge Wrestlemania storyline the following year was just great fun.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
From 2013-2015 Bryan was the most over guy in the company. The question was what made you like him? What made him gravitate to you?
I loved him as Bryan Danielson years before, and I liked cause he is one of the best in the world at what he does. His rise to the top felt so organic and his in ring and just babyface character just makes you want to cheer for him. Amazing that today he's one of the best heels around and that he returned to the ring after having to retire early. He's one of the few guys out there who's just great at what he does.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I liked his heel stuff. His babyface run after that was awful, couldn't stand the cringy yes shit, he lost some mass and looked like shit, and him beating Evolution in one night was terrible. It really began the indy/ROH takeover of WWE, which has helped in the death of the business. Looking back though, Bryan wasn't nearly as bad as some of the garbage WWE and NXT puts out now, he could work without being over reliant on high spots and false finishes, could sell and get sympathy, and played the underdog well. Unfortunely, he paved the way for guys like Cole and Gargano who will ultimately be the death of the business, at least the death of the WWE.

·
KNEE DA PEOPLE
2,473 Posts
I liked his heel stuff. His babyface run after that was awful, couldn't stand the cringy yes shit, he lost some mass and looked like shit, and him beating Evolution in one night was terrible. It really began the indy/ROH takeover of WWE, which has helped in the death of the business. Looking back though, Bryan wasn't nearly as bad as some of the garbage WWE and NXT puts out now, he could work without being over reliant on high spots and false finishes, could sell and get sympathy, and played the underdog well. Unfortunely, he paved the way for guys like Cole and Gargano who will ultimately be the death of the business, at least the death of the WWE.
Could you please elaborate how they'll be the death of this business?

·
Registered
322 Posts
To be honest I hated DB during that whole babyface run, because he was feuding with HHH and I just couldn't get behind him. It was soul crushing to see him go over the (almost) entire Evolution at Wrestlemania so I kind of held a grudge :laugh::laugh:. Nonetheless I gained massive respect for Bryan ever since his comeback and he was very entertaining in his heel role.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Could you please elaborate how they'll be the death of this business?
They're both small(Not a death sentence but doesn't help) they look like shit,(Especially Cole) they work video game high spot matches that look ridiculous and only get over with Melzer and a portion of the IWC, Cole is an alright talker with some charisma but Johnny has none. The business is gonna be fucked when it's completely dominated by guys like that.

·
KNEE DA PEOPLE
2,473 Posts
They're both small(Not a death sentence but doesn't help) they look like shit,(Especially Cole) they work video game high spot matches that look ridiculous and only get over with Melzer and a portion of the IWC, Cole is an alright talker with some charisma but Johnny has none. The business is gonna be fucked when it's completely dominated by guys like that.
Have you watched any Gargano or Cole matches? I think you'll find that you are wrong when thinking that they only work "video game high spot matches".

Bryan and Styles work similar styles and they've not done too bad on the main roster...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I hate to say this, but I started liking him because it seemed like WWE kept trying to screw him over. Starting with that incident with the Nexus when he choked somebody with a tie, and they fired him supposedly. Then he came back, and when they jobbed him out to Sheamus in eight seconds at Wrestlemania, that was too much. I've been a fan of his ever since.

He's sort of like Cesaro, in that he's a good worker but they don't give him his due, so that makes him an underdog. But it's not all about workrate for me, Bryan has a unique sort of charisma. It's kind of hard to describe.

·
Premium Member
17,160 Posts
He's that guy who SHOULDN'T have got where he did. It felt like us fans were winning, something we hadn't really got in a decade. I mean we got a glimpse of it with Punk, who was much better on the mic than Bryan but he never really got his BIG Wrestlemania moment and storyline like Bryan did.
I hate to say this, but I started liking him because it seemed like WWE kept trying to screw him over. Starting with that incident with the Nexus when he choked somebody with a tie, and they fired him supposedly. Then he came back, and when they jobbed him out to Sheamus in eight seconds at Wrestlemania, that was too much. I've been a fan of his ever since.
MJF is smart. @iarwain, you shouldn't hate to say that because I believe that's the #1 reason he got over. That's why I rooted for him at WM 30 and was thrilled, almost tearing up, upon his return.

Team Hell No, his heavyweight reign as a heel, AJ Lee stuff, etc....all good enough to get him into a WWE title angle, not just a one off shot w/ Punk. It was blatantly obvious Vince didn't want him to be the guy. Finally, he had no choice with CM Punk gone and the fans won.

I'll add, HHH and Vince have said they planned on beating down Bryan so much to make the fans love him. But, in hindsight with the Moxley interview, I already had but I definitely believe now that was never the case. DB blew up in their faces and they were forced to give the fans what they wanted.

It's a reason Kofi's storyline was really good. They already had the test run with Bryan. Now they were concisely repeating the same story, only they were in control and smartened up thanks to DB's prior WM 30 spot.

Reactions: Erik.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts