Wrestling Forum banner

What John Morrison Needs...

4161 Views 54 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  Heckrashi
It seems as of late that John Morrison has been a disappointment on the mic. That was not the case however during his time as a heel and in the Dirt Sheet. Yes, it can be argued that Miz infused some personality into it, but JoMo sure had some killer lines.

One thing he has lacked lately has been his persona. It's been a problem for many superstars that used to be incredible heels, but when they turned face, they lost all personality. An example of this would be MVP. We all must admit that MVP was incredible as a heel. He was great on the mic, got some good heat, had a talk show of his own called the VIP Lounge, wore suits and bling; he had it all because he was so immersed in his persona. When he turned face, he lost all of that and became a generic face superstar. This must not happen to John Morrison.

The mic is often seen as his main weakness, but when you look at his past, he is more than capable of putting on a good promo. All he needs to do is go back to his persona. His Jim Morrison persona, his Flamboyant, Psychedelic, Sex Symbol and Rockstar Image.

He used to have a multitude of nicknames, names he should use even now as a face to make himself more charismatic. He is the Shaman of Sexy, The Guru of Greatness, The Honcho of Hotness, The Shaolin Master of Manliness, The Monday/Tuesday/Friday Night Delight. He has so much to work with, all of which can be his signature nicknames to be used to cap off his promos.

Another thing he needs to rejuvenate his persona is The Palace of Wisdom. He needs to refer to it more. It is what truly makes his gimmick really philosophical in a way, yet very psychedelic, and hippy like. He mentions things like "We don't like fatties at the palace of wisdom", "You're dying to spend a night with me at the palace of wisdom", or "join me in the palace of wisdom", "let me drop some knowledge on you". JoMo also has lines wherein he says "I am beyond good and evil" which IMO is a classic and should be signature catchphrase for someone with a gimmick like his. Or even "some are born to sweet delight, and others born to endless night" something he plugged from William Blake. All these catchphrases, nicknames, quotes can all be used to enhance his mic work and make him more of a character.

I believe what Morrison has been lacking lately has been his personality, his character. It's not his fault, it happens to most heels who turn face. He just needs to rediscover his Psychedelic/Flamboyant/Rockstar/Sex Symbol persona. Because without all of these, he has no material to start off with. Without it, he's just a normal guy with bedazzled tights, talking, sounding like an ordinary person; when in reality, he is supposed to be very charismatic.

One random thing as well, those necklaces he wore in his entrances were awesome lol.
Any other thoughts on how he can improve?
Reactions: CainTheUndertaker
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

· Registered
2,310 Posts
Oh he's been givin the mic but just can't get across he had a chance with MNM also he and Melina then they put him with The Miz and now there putting Divas around him and out of all that time he still sucks on the mic but has great ring skills the scenerio reminds me of The Gold Standard great ring skills but not so on the mic.if he was half as good as the Miz on the mic he'd be headlining WM27.

· Follower of Lockeism
13,499 Posts
He can't really be dispaointing no the mic without any mic time...

When he has beeen given the chance to speak in the past couple of months he's been solid. He's obviously not going to be as comfortable on the mic as he was as a heel, but he's sounded fine to me. Nothing spectacular and nothing overly good, but fine. He get's his point across which is what matters and the crowd continue to cheer him. I still think that if they gave a cocky edge to his character, let him use some of his own material, let him use his personality he would be far better. But the WWE feel the need to script promos completely. For example this:

Is how he should be allowed to present his character, shows off a lot more personality and sounds more comfortable.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
How has he been a disappointment on the mic when he has not been given a mic?
This is kinda true, he should be given more mic time.

When he has beeen given the chance to speak in the past couple of months he's been solid. He's obviously not going to be as comfortable on the mic as he was as a heel, but he's sounded fine to me. Nothing spectacular and nothing overly good, but fine. He get's his point across which is what matters and the crowd continue to cheer him. I still think that if they gave a cocky edge to his character, let him use some of his own material, let him use his personality he would be far better. But the WWE feel the need to script promos completely. For example this:

Is how he should be allowed to present his character, shows off a lot more personality and sounds more comfortable.
He was able to get his point across as The Shaman of Sexy, and not just as John Hennigan. There is more originality to him when he does that.

lose the jim morrison gimmick. he'll just be the next honky tonk man at this rate.
Don't you think he's being given a more serious approach than Honky Tonk Man? Afterall Booker T was somewhat a nod to Mr. T

Morrison's shaman of sexy gimmick sounds like the old spice guy, which I have no problem with, let him talk like that!!!!
I know, I remember his opening lines every dirt sheet. It went something like "Hi, I'm John Morrison, and if I had a penny for every man that looked better than me at Wrestlemania...........I would have no pennies."

What does he need? A direction and better writing. There you go.
This 100%. Maybe surrounding him with Divas is kind of a good thing in that he gets to be some sort of a guy the ladies want. I don't know but it could somehow push him into that cocky Shaman of Sexy territory again, hopefully!

· Banned
4,446 Posts
How has he been a disappointment on the mic when he has not been given a mic?
Is this a joke? He had the mic alot during that Sheamus shit and the crowd went DEAD silent for his stupid and pathetic little jokes about skin tone and all of that weird shit. It's comedy how Melina shits on this dude on the mic.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is this a joke? He had the mic alot during that Sheamus shit and the crowd went DEAD silent for his stupid and pathetic little jokes about skin tone and all of that weird shit. It's comedy how Melina shits on this dude on the mic.
Again I think it's all rooted in his lack of material. They tried to make him more "tough looking" so they cut out his psychedelic side a bit, which limited him because he wasn't used to that. Kinda sad.

However Melina's mic skills are not that much better, she's a heel, and as far as women's division goes, there isnt much depth to it.

· FEED ME LESS!
3,857 Posts

That video was awfull btw. Face facts you put the 2 worst mic men in one vid together its hard to not think one sounds ok.

· Registered
1,733 Posts
He needs to study shawn michaels dx heel promos. He has that look that every dude hated about cocky hbk. The Jim Morrison thing is not working whatsoever. Jim was a poetic womanizer with an insane amount of stage charisma. I'd like it if he was just more real.

· Premium Member
478 Posts
People need to accept Morrison's mic work is just mediocre, and stop trying to pretend it's the writers fault, or that he's got the wrong gimmick going. Cena made a white rapper gimmick work, anything is possible. That said, Rey made it to a world title with mediocre mic work an great in ring ability, and Morrison could as well, they just need to have him win a series of matches and end it with someone big that's willing to put him over. The thing is, the ceiling is only so high for his career, and if/when he wins a world title it will be a reward for years of making other guys look good.

He's not talented enough to ever be a guy that carries the company. It's ok. It's not the end of the world, you can still enjoy his matches and root for him, just stop trying to pretend he's the next Steve Austin except that creative doesn't give him the right character/material.

· Follower of Lockeism
13,499 Posts
I don't think anyones trying to say that Morrison's mic work is anything more than mediocre, because it isn't. His mic work in the video I posted isn't fantastic, it's fine though and when you can do the things Morrison doe sin the ring, having fine mic work is all you shoudl need. However his mic work isn't terrible like some thingk it is. All I'm saying is that he sounds a lot better when he isn't fed shit and is allowed to put over some kind of characteer which isn't 'generic babyface'.

· Registered
542 Posts
I do agree John Morrison lacks personalty which is the problem i have with him and WWE forgets about their past most of the time and he needs to go back to 2007/2008 roots where he had a cool personality. He is decent on the mic i think he can improve if WWE lets him write his own lines rather than giving him the script because i think he caperble of writing his own lines it worked for other wrestlers like Austin, Rock and some other wrestlers.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I see the names Shawn, Austin, The Rock being mentioned. Though Hennigan is nowhere near them in mic skills, something interesting about it is, those guys were never made to be cookie cutter generic faces. They were never made to call their opponents "bullies" and shit, they had more edge to them and I think it's important for a superstar's promo cutting skills to have that same edge. It's hard getting over by being a goody two shoes.

On a side note NJ88, that Speed of Sound montage is siiick.

· Registered
8,509 Posts
People need to accept Morrison's mic work is just mediocre, and stop trying to pretend it's the writers fault, or that he's got the wrong gimmick going. Cena made a white rapper gimmick work, anything is possible. That said, Rey made it to a world title with mediocre mic work an great in ring ability, and Morrison could as well, they just need to have him win a series of matches and end it with someone big that's willing to put him over. The thing is, the ceiling is only so high for his career, and if/when he wins a world title it will be a reward for years of making other guys look good.

He's not talented enough to ever be a guy that carries the company. It's ok. It's not the end of the world, you can still enjoy his matches and root for him, just stop trying to pretend he's the next Steve Austin except that creative doesn't give him the right character/material.
The best rapper in the world is white.

Anyway, they need to keep it short and sweet, like that promo with Jericho.
Morrison doesn't need to come out and deliver speeches, just the odd line here and there.

· Registered
806 Posts
I'd imagine that since they're not face-face confrontations, vignettes are easier to pull off than promos, so give him a weekly vignette or something. Maybe develop the idea of him being the Old Spice bloke. Say, if they put him in a title feud with Miz, have something like 'Look at the Miz, now back to me, now back at the Miz, now back to me. Unfortunately, he isn't me, but with this marker pen, he could look like me. Here is a man with a beer-gut similar to the Miz. You take the pen and draw one vertical line down the middle of his beer-gut and three equally-spaced horizontal lines on his beer-gut. This man can now pass off as almost as handsome as the Shaman of Sexy. I'm on a horse.'

· Registered
2,569 Posts
he needs to stop getting involved in other peoples business. He is like mark henry only he doesnt go out for matches, just run ins. Has he actually done anything since moving to raw other than get involved in already working feuds and acting like spiderman? He needs a proper feud, a better gimmick and some good music that doesnt kill the crowd.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.