Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Finisher matches, where in order to win, you have to hit your finisher. That's more or less how the typical match goes, minus the pin, it just ends after the finisher.

EDIT: Nash vs Vicious Starrcade 1999 for example.

·
Banned
79 Posts
I'm going to come right out and say this, I hate singles intergender matches. I like mixed tags and mixed tornado tag matches although when it comes to singles intergender matches on a regular basis I automatically lose all respect for your company and depise those, ( Impact, CZW, MLW, Lucha Underground, etc) now if they are done as a joke or something like in WWE ( Lita and Christian, Stephanie and Lesnar, Candice and Umaga, etc ) I like them. Although if they are presented as something serious then I automatically lose all respect for your wrestling promotion.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
I realize WWE doesn't do them anymore and even in other companies they're a fairly rare match type these days thankfully, but my vote goes to First Blood Matches. They build it up as being a violent spectacle of the match, but problem is in the companies that are willing to run that kind of match, there will be plenty of other gimmick matches where blading is allowed, so you book a match as being violent then it just falls flat for what you're trying to do because now it looks tame in comparison.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a good casket match or buried alive match. Table matches are awful if it’s a one on one match.
They’re only good as multi-man matches. Most HIAC matches are garbage now, as they’re so watered down. I think Brock/Taker in ‘15 was the last good one? Seth/KO wasn’t bad, but it turned into a handicap match which really affected the overall quality of it.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
Pole matches for sure. The entire concept of retrieving an object placed above the ring is already available in a ladder match. So to me a pole match is the same psychology as a ladder match... except it removes every single bit of fun and high spots you can do with a ladder match.

Matches where you can use a single weapon are also the worst (exception being ladder matches). Tables matches are awful because they're built around a single spot that can end really anti-climatically. Big Show once lost a match by stepping through a table, and Sheamus captured the WWE title in one that felt like the least convincing championship win ever. The Dudleys made it work, but I think part of that too was it being a tag team tables match, more bodies equals more creative things to be done with that format. But beyond tables... whoever came up with a chairs match should be shot. Whoever came up with a stairs match should be shot twice. I remember Snitsky and Kane having a match at Taboo Tuesday where they could use ONE weapon of the fan's choosing, and it ended in fuckery because a different weapon got used. Single weapon matches just feel incredibly restrictive when we've seen all the hardcore/TLC/street fight matches using anything you can get your hands on.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Pole matches can be good given the right circumstances and performers. Take for example the absolutely most ridiculous pole match on paper, an action figure leg on a necklace on a pole. Stupid right? But throw in a good storyline and 2 great performers in Tyson Kid and Yoshi Tatsu and you have a good match that strangely makes sense.

Start at 20 minute mark

·
Registered
145 Posts
Any type of gimmick PPV in general as it devalues when gimmicks are actually useful, ie a feud blow off in a cell, a fatal 4 way after contenders controversy ect. Oh and Pole matchs can sod off period.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts