Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
I'm the world's greatest superhero. I can do whate
20,550 Posts
- One of the greatest entrances of all time

- One of the best looks and gimmicks of all time.

- Could work a crowd, but overall a terrible and sloppy worker in the ring.

- Total asshole from head to toe outside the ring.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,015 Posts
A guy who was in the right place at the right time....

A poor wrestler who had a body.

A guy who got the rub because of the Road Warriors success.

I mean all of you who laud Ultimate Warrior....you should thank the Road Warriors for his career.

That is the real truth

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Well he was over as fuck for a start. He was well produced and presented, and I give him credit for making his character stand out, be unique, and be totally committed.

Million dollar body, however buck 25 wrestling ability. But that was never really a problem in his era WWF so it didn't matter.

Just a big star, but one that never reached potential.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Warrior at one time was seen as the legit heir apparent to Hulk Hogan. He really was that over especially in the summer of 1989.

He did what he did at a high level. He had charisma. He's a legend for sure which being honest in today's world that word is overused.

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,068 Posts
Way before my time, his schtick has never held any appeal to me except for the inanity of his promos which I enjoy perversely.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Amazing intensity and energy. Lowsy wrestler. He was basically Luger with face paint and less skill.
I like Lex Luger, but I think UW displayed different types of maneuvers over the years, especially after Lex Luger returned to WCW and got real lazy. Ultimate Warrior gave his all, and from what I saw never got lazy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
He's one of my Top 3 all-time favorites, but if you honestly think he's Top 5/10 all-time, you know zero about wrestling history. As a wrestling historian who has worked on numerous projects, he likely wouldn't even crack the Top 150 worldwide. He had zero wrestling skill, and his career was very short. Bret Hart isn't near the Top 10, either.

For the record, I met Warrior during his World title run in 1990, and I'd estimate his true height to be about 6'-6'1".
I find this post to be interesting. Apologizing for this post being so late. UW is in my top 5 of favorites, but I do not believe him to be the best actual wrestler, even though I think he is underrated even there. He could throw a mean clothesline, and great shoulder block. His matches always managed to be entertaining in spite of what people thought about his skills being limited and all.

Who are the top 10 actual wrestlers of all time, and why do you not consider Bret Hart to be on there, since he is seen by many to be the greatest of all time?

That's awesome you met The Warrior! What was that like? How big did he look in person? Where did you meet him? What did he say? Was he in full garb like at a signing? I do believe you that he was around 6'0. The only reason I thought he was shorter is because he looked shorter when I saw him when he got older, but hey! I'm prolly completely wrong! That's really cool you got to meet him though.:smile2:

·
Likes wrestling....
8,015 Posts
I watched his career from day one......meaning I saw his debut on Memphis television. I mean really he started out as yet another Road Warrior ripoff

Then I watched watched him turn heel in Memphis. I hated him then as a steroid freak who left us as a heel.

He left us and went Dallas as Dingo Warrior. I changed my mind on him then and got behind him as a face.

But when he went to the WWF, the way they pushed him immediately made me like him more. I was all for him going over Honkeytonk for the IC......

But I turned on him then, I was never a Hogan guy but his fastpass to the top made me not like him for whatever reason....and my opinion did not change For whatever reason I wanted Hogan to beat him at WM 4......

But that is just me I never really liked the guy in WWF after his IC run....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Well he was over as fuck for a start. He was well produced and presented, and I give him credit for making his character stand out, be unique, and be totally committed.

Million dollar body, however buck 25 wrestling ability. But that was never really a problem in his era WWF so it didn't matter.

Just a big star, but one that never reached potential.
Honest question. Do you think he would have been as, or more over had he used more wrestling holds, and wrestled a technical style?

·
WWE Fan Since '81
1,083 Posts
I find this post to be interesting. Apologizing for this post being so late. UW is in my top 5 of favorites, but I do not believe him to be the best actual wrestler, even though I think he is underrated even there. He could throw a mean clothesline, and great shoulder block. His matches always managed to be entertaining in spite of what people thought about his skills being limited and all.

Who are the top 10 actual wrestlers of all time, and why do you not consider Bret Hart to be on there, since he is seen by many to be the greatest of all time?

That's awesome you met The Warrior! What was that like? How big did he look in person? Where did you meet him? What did he say? Was he in full garb like at a signing? I do believe you that he was around 6'0. The only reason I thought he was shorter is because he looked shorter when I saw him when he got older, but hey! I'm prolly completely wrong! That's really cool you got to meet him though.:smile2:

Back in 1990 when he was champ, I was 15 years old, and a huge Warrior mark. I attended a card in Pittsburgh and a friend of mine who worked at a local hotel told me that the wrestlers were staying there. So, after the card I high-tailed it to the hotel and waited... and waited... and waited. Just as I was walking out, about to give up hope, a limo pulls up and out hops Warrior and Jimmy Snuka. They had their bags and were walking FAST towards the elevators but I followed them inside and said, "Excuse me, Warrior, and Mr. Snuka, can I get an autograph?" Snuka kept right on walking and got in the elevator. Warrior looked at Snuka and said, "I'll meet you up there" and then proceeded to sign an autograph and take a photo with me. It was a small gesture that I'll never forget. I was also at WrestleMania XXX and RAW in New Orleans so I was able to see his final appearance. I'll forever be a fan of his.

My all-time Top 10:

1- Lou Thesz
2- Jim Londos
3- Hulk Hogan
4- Ed "Strangler" Lewis
5- Frank Gotch
6- Rikidozan
7- El Santo
8- Ric Flair
9- Andre the Giant
10- Bruno Sammartino

·
Registered
234 Posts
Even if the Ultimate Warrior wasn't a great in-ring wrestler, as a "power wrestler" he was good enough, as doing feat of strength was what people were expecting from someone like that.

And with the help of some talented in-ring wrestler , they could make him look golden too but it was really his low point unfortunately.

For Warrior character, not only it was an unique one but he played his part masterfully, captivating the imagination with his crazy antics, additionally his entrance was really over, one of the most over character.

As soon as the music started playing and the guy was running to the ring, there was an aura around the ring, the guy had enough charisma to drag people with him.

And to me he managed another but uncommon feat : making me interested in his promo and ramblings. Because probably because i am not an english speaker, i have absolutely no interest in promo or "mic skill" in wrestling.
What attracts me to wrestling are the stories wrestlers deliver during their matches with their craft, their selling and etc... probably a reason i ceased to watch wwe since several years unfortunately.

But with Warrior, it was so incredible and insane that it was nearly hypnotic :D and tremendously fun to see him going on about whatever he was talking about before a match.

Oh and how many top wrestlers had to beat up Phil Collins ?
:D
Can't say anything about the man himself, as i don't know him.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I loved him as a kid, he was my favourite, but he was a product of a certain era, late 80s/early 90s, when he came back in 96 he didnt seem to fit that new generation era they were going for, i thought his WCW return had potential with his oWn terrorising the nWo but sadly the rematch against Hogan was a disaster

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
He was a lot like Goldberg to me - Fun character, great entrance, had a lot of intensity and charisma, but once the main spotlight was on him and he had to carry the promotion, he was exposed.

·
Registered
846 Posts
For all that has been said about him backstage and in the ring, the man was a HUGE star from 1988-1991. To be even just considered to beat Hulk Hogan clean in the middle of the ring at Wrestlemania in front of 67,000 people....AND to be standing in the ring as both the WWF and Intercontinental Champion, you have to be a big deal!!!!

Now, he proved not to be as big as Hogan as his title run fell flat. However, I say that is no fault of his own but rather Vince and creative's. His first feud was with the guy he spent the better part of the previous year feuding with over the IC belt (Rick Rude. Then, he was thrown in the middle of the LOD vs. Demolition feud then started a feud with Randy Savage that was originally over the title, but Warrior was made to drop it to Sgt. Slaughter so they could transition it back to Hogan.

The Savage feud definitely should have happened and it should have remained about the belt, but a longer Warrior run with opponents such as the debuting Earthquake, Undertaker (which happened in 1991 on the house show circuit, but bombed), and the eventually turned heel, Jake Roberts among others would have done really well. Hogan numbers??Probably not...but well enough!

Yes, Savage and Warrior had the iconic Career vs. Career match at Wrestlemania 7, but it could have meant so much more if the WWF title was at stake.

Overall, he had a million dollar physique and had the people in the palm of his hands. His in ring skills lacked, but what guy his size with the same physique can you compare to a Bret Hart in the ring??

He wasn't my cup of tea back then...Randy Savage was my guy whether face or heel...but no one (especially those of us who were alive and watching back then) can deny the Impact he had on the business or his star power.

·
Registered
219 Posts
great ring psychology for his character underrated mind for the business but had to be booked in a certain way. he certainly left an impact on me

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
Awesome look and intensity. Got the crowd extremely hyped. Mic skills were better than they're given credit for as the cryptic content suited the character and his delivery and energy was on point. Poor in ring skills.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts