Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the 80's THE dream match that nobody thought they would ever see was Hogan/Flair (How wrong we were…)

It seems that at Wrestlemania this year we might see another of those kinds of matches in The Undertaker vs Sting.

Using wrestlers in their prime from any company or era, what are some of your Hogan/Flair type matches?

Some of mine would be:

Austin-Goldberg (Both men at their 1998 peak, would have been an awesome spectacle and may have set an all time untouchable tv rating or ppv buy rate, certainly had a level of interest in the late 90s to rival or eclipse Hogan-Andre, Hogan-Warrior or Rock-Austin)

Bret Hart-Kurt Angle (Bret from the mid 90's, Kurt from early to mid 2000s, would have been a classic)

Shawn Michaels-Ric Flair (Again would have been a classic, but to be honest, I don't know how they could have crafted a more emotionally charged classic than Mania 24, even if both were in their physical prime)

Shawn Michaels-Bret Hart (I know we had Mania 12 and Survivor Series 92 and 97, but we actually never had a regular one fall match to a clean finish with both men in their prime. Seems a shame in this era where we have seen the current two top stars, Cena and Orton, wrestle what seems like dozens of times, even on free tv, that we never got a long, several match feud between Bret and Shawn in 1996-1997. Obviously would have been a classic.)

Also, I don’t think the following would be on the level of those matches but these matches always had a certain curiosity factor for me:

APA v The Road Warriors (Which team would smash through the other?)
Davey Boy Smith v Scott Steiner (Who was stronger??)
Samoa Joe vs Big Van Vader (It would be a big, agile bully against a bigger, agile monster)
Ultimate Warrior vs Goldberg (would probably be uglier than Lesnar-Goldberg, but would be funny to see them both feel the frustration of working with an opponent who won't sell)
Loose Cannon Brian Pillman vs Rowdy Roddy Piper (Verbal confrontations would be awesome, and match probably pretty good)
Chris Benoit vs Davey Richards (This would obviously be interesting but also think Dean Malenko would be a good opponent for Richards)
Rob Van Dam vs John Morrison (Fun to watch them trying to outdo each other in terms of athleticism)

Any thoughts? Try to give an era for the wrestlers you pick and why you think the matches would be good.

· Registered
3,366 Posts
The biggest dream match of all time: Hulk Hogan vs Steve Austin

Other favourites of mine:

Rock vs Cena
Hogan vs Cena
HHH vs Savage
Austin vs Goldberg
Hogan vs Foley
Austin vs Savage
Flair vs Warrior
Rock vs HBK

and of course Sting vs Undertaker (both from 1997)

· Registered
75 Posts
Shawn Michaels vs The Rock would have been awesome.

· Premium Member
9,987 Posts
Mr. Perfect vs. Dolph Ziggler.

Bret vs. Owen (even though it happened before)

Benoit vs. Samoa Joe

Road Warriors vs. Brothers of Destruction (Undertaker and Kane)

Big Show vs. Andre

and more...

· Registered
9,456 Posts
Goldberg vs Undertaker or Goldberg vs Steve Austin would've been pretty big matches and pretty entertaining. Shawn Michaels vs The Rock is the obvious choice for a classic. Also, Eddie Guerrero vs Shawn Michaels or Ricky Steamboat would've been great, as well. John Cena vs The Rock could've been huge as well. I'm surprised WWE didn't go with it for Summerslam 2006. It would've been a bigger draw than Orton/Hogan.

· Registered
3,366 Posts
John Cena vs The Rock could've been huge as well. I'm surprised WWE didn't go with it for Summerslam 2006. It would've been a bigger draw than Orton/Hogan.
Well, Rock wasn't available for Summerslam 2006. Or did you mean Cena vs Hogan? Then yes, I agree that would have been a better choice.

This way the card would have been a lot better: Cena vs Hogan, Edge vs RVD for the title and Orton vs Angle to end their feud.

· Registered
9,456 Posts
Well, Rock wasn't available for Summerslam 2006. Or did you mean Cena vs Hogan? Then yes, I agree that would have been a better choice.

This way the card would have been a lot better: Cena vs Hogan, Edge vs RVD for the title and Orton vs Angle to end their feud.
Whoops, yeah, I meant Cena vs Hogan. You're right - that card would've been a lot better than what we actually got.

· Registered
2,812 Posts
the rockers vs the hardys(when they were at their peak as a team)
shawn vs sting(imo, more appealing than taker vs sting)
bret vs sting(in their PRIME)
owen vs shelton benjamin(i just think it would be an awesome match)
taz vs shawn michaels
alundra blaze vs beth/natalya(doesn't matter which one)
mike tenay vs michael cole ( i would root for cole)
savage vs michaels
the wardlord vs brock lesnar (dont laugh)

· Registered
584 Posts
Back in the WWF days, they never did triple threat matches. I would've killed to see Michaels vs. Hart vs. Austin in '97 at the peak of their feuds.

Hogan vs. Austin
Undertaker vs. Sting
(Bret/Owen) Hart vs Angle
The Rock vs. Michaels
Michaels vs Dynamite Kid
Micheals/Foley HIAC

Current Dream Matches
Punk-Bryan in a WWE ring
Bryan-Regal Submission Match
Daniel Bryan vs Angle (Never say never)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.