Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it’s widely accepted that Undertaker really diminished his legacy post WM30.

Triple H much the same but post WM31.

Kurt Angle came back a shell of his former self and went from wrestling god to a broken elastic band that put over Corbin and couldn’t say ‘WWE’.

HBK returned for the money in a trainwreck match in Saudi Arabia.

Kane and Big Show diminished their rep years ago.

Batista has that embarrassment of a match at WM where he stumbled into the ring and will be remembered more for the spice girls promo.

RVD seems to be on another planet at the moment in TNA, completely oblivious to anything, seemingly becoming a walking, talking meme.

CM Punk got his ass whooped in MMA and has returned on a show that’s getting 50,000 viewers a week.

Goldberg nearly paralyzed Undertaker in Saudi.

Matt Hardy isn’t even worthy of the 24/7 title...

The only wrestlers from the AE you could argue that haven’t hurt their reputation are those that got out early or died.

Eddie, Edge, Rock, Cena, Christian, Bret, Austin...

But then there’s one guy left,

Chris Jericho.

He’s the anomaly. The one exception. Where since his return in 2016 has enhanced his reputation. Where he’s grown it, has he surpassed all those names mentioned above that overstayed their welcome? His work now...is it some of the best in his career? How is this happening?? He is the modern day Hulk Hogan, reinventing himself and still over as hell.

·
C Mac G
5,964 Posts
A lot, that we are ultimately not going to understand the gravity of until a few years from now. He is finally being given the chance to be the top star(or at the very least, one of), and they are staying consistent with him.

His work, has been incredible, but that's from a personal standpoint. From a business standpoint, he has elevated AEW to a level that I don't think would be possible without him, the jury is still out on how far he will take them, that's what we are really waiting to see.

He would never have gotten this kind of opportunity in the WWE, because they just were not going to push him as a top star, so the only avenue he had to add to his legacy was to go to a different promotion, and thus far, I feel like he's knocked it out of the park, but again, it's only been 7 weeks of TV, he's signed until early 2022, so we can have a better picture then.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
He has a body made for pro wrestling, look at the Rock being younger and having the genetic lottery won almost died wrestling Cena lol, I think Edge could put a Jericho with his charisma and mic skills but his body couldn't make it.

·
Registered
20,821 Posts
Nothing really I think this will honestly be a foot note in a stellar career. He won't be the women to get the credit for AEWs potential and likely success that will go to Cody and The Elite. Jericho is just adding "ain't that guy cool points" which we've all known forever lol.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Nothing really I think this will honestly be a foot note in a stellar career. He won't be the women to get the credit for AEWs potential and likely success that will go to Cody and The Elite. Jericho is just adding "ain't that guy cool points" which we've all known forever lol.
This is the best stuff he's done since 2008/9, this be more then just a foot note. While other legends are struggling by, I put his post WWE years up there as some of his greatest work. Great to see a old pro not resting on his laurels isn't it.

·
Registered
20,821 Posts
This is the best stuff he's done since 2008/9, this be more then just a foot note. While other legends are struggling by, I put his post WWE years up there as some of his greatest work. Great to see a old pro not resting on his laurels isn't it.
Agree to disagree. I liked his promo mocking Cody. But I haven't been shy about not enjoying his work of late. I know some folk do enjoy it, but I don't see anything special. But hey time will tell.

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
I dgaf about his legacy. That’s talk for when he’s retired.

For now I’m going to enjoy the best work of his career.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
If AEW becomes something, this period in Jericho's career will be just as important as any other he's had.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Agree to disagree. I liked his promo mocking Cody. But I haven't been shy about not enjoying his work of late. I know some folk do enjoy it, but I don't see anything special. But hey time will tell.
I like you man. Whether I agree or disagree with you, I know theres a nice conversation there with a brain behind it.

I personally beleive (and it should be obvious) that this isnt jerichos best in-ring product ever. But his character, while it is not ground breaking by any means, also isnt stale. You can't say the same for Hogan. Rock, Cena. Jericho has outlived those names in the ring and has not gotten stale a single time. Hes always been enjoyable.

Now him not being pushed to the moon and strapped there may have helped. Plus the many breaks he took for Fozzy then returning.

But let's be real, hes super entertaining, hes also in a place hes incredibly happy in and can now let a bunch of ideas new and old flourish without much issue. It's been incredibly entertaining thus far and I think that's what counts.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,821 Posts
I like you man. Whether I agree or disagree with you, I know theres a nice conversation there with a brain behind it.

I personally beleive (and it should be obvious) that this isnt jerichos best in-ring product ever. But his character, while it is not ground breaking by any means, also isnt stale. You can't say the same for Hogan. Rock, Cena. Jericho has outlived those names in the ring and has not gotten stale a single time. Hes always been enjoyable.

Now him not being pushed to the moon and strapped there may have helped. Plus the many breaks he took for Fozzy then returning.

But let's be real, hes super entertaining, hes also in a place hes incredibly happy in and can now let a bunch of ideas new and old flourish without much issue. It's been incredibly entertaining thus far and I think that's what counts.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I won't say his act is stale, for me it's just been there done that. I know what imma get from Jericho, a cocky narcissist with a funny quotables. After seeing it for over 20 years it's just not as exciting anymore. For me I feel more like I'm watching an aging star on his farewell tour, than an aging star that is finding new life and artistic relevance.

So that's why I don't think this period of his career will do much for his legacy. I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if AEW got bigger and became really legit competition, for WWE. But I don't see Jericho still being around when that time comes so he won't be credited for AEW's rise. Hell be more so credited as a guy who helped make them more legit early on like Terry Funk in ECW

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The thing about Jericho is that Jericho's career consists of 95% of cleverly coasting with the times, while doing whatever he wanted and succeeding at it because people like what he did. There's nothing really to tarnish. He can work comfortably; he's already done more than enough and made more than enough money in the business 10, 20 years ago.

I mean, honestly a lot of these guys you're judging here haven't really damaged their career reputation so much as made some unserious past-prime decisions here & there or picked up a nice fat check for a one night only appearance. When we look back at history years from now they'll be alright. With exception of Taker which is a particular case; he was the last real kayfabe gangsta alive and he's done a lot unfortunately to kill that magic about him.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Cementing his legacy as one of the greats. He has been able to constantly able to reinvent himself without losing who he is. Only Matt Hardy has been able to do something like that but was never at as high of a level as Y2J.

·
Premium Member
4,063 Posts
I think legacies are to be talked about when the guy decides to hang up his boots. All I see here is his 2nd or 3rd prime coming. :lmao :lmao :lmao

Honestly, there's really nothing for him to prove anymore but he keeps reinventing himself, keeps finding new ways to make himself relevant and interesting.

Not unless he shocks us with a retirement announcement but right now, he is just riding this wave that I think he probably won't ever have in the WWE and it's a blessing to have him in AEW.

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,181 Posts
Whatever happens to AEW it will always have been a bold experiment and the first non-WWE promotion to make it into a prestige cable network in two decades. And Jericho was the first champion of that promotion and produced incredibly memorable experiences as part of that.

On top of big Tokyo Dome matches with the like of Omega, Naito and Tanahashi - Jericho has really elevated his overall legacy. He was already a living legend but now he's a living fucking legend

·
Registered
16,224 Posts
it’s widely accepted that Undertaker really diminished his legacy post WM30.

Triple H much the same but post WM31.

Kurt Angle came back a shell of his former self and went from wrestling god to a broken elastic band that put over Corbin and couldn’t say ‘WWE’.

HBK returned for the money in a trainwreck match in Saudi Arabia.

Kane and Big Show diminished their rep years ago.

Batista has that embarrassment of a match at WM where he stumbled into the ring and will be remembered more for the spice girls promo.

RVD seems to be on another planet at the moment in TNA, completely oblivious to anything, seemingly becoming a walking, talking meme.

CM Punk got his ass whooped in MMA and has returned on a show that’s getting 50,000 viewers a week.

Goldberg nearly paralyzed Undertaker in Saudi.

Matt Hardy isn’t even worthy of the 24/7 title...

The only wrestlers from the AE you could argue that haven’t hurt their reputation are those that got out early or died.

Eddie, Edge, Rock, Cena, Christian, Bret, Austin...

But then there’s one guy left,

Chris Jericho.

He’s the anomaly. The one exception. Where since his return in 2016 has enhanced his reputation. Where he’s grown it, has he surpassed all those names mentioned above that overstayed their welcome? His work now...is it some of the best in his career? How is this happening?? He is the modern day Hulk Hogan, reinventing himself and still over as hell.
Great post.

Well Jericho has acting nailed down. The rest of the guys u mentioned kept their 90s gimmicks and never changed. Whereas Jericho every 5 years or so kept changing and being mystery, he also made the most of each gimmick. The other guys from the 90s were too afraid to push for a change and got dulled out. Jericho was the only one who was able to adapt!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I love the fact that Jericho isn’t on cruise control at this stage of his career. He’s putting in some serious work with AEW. In tv matches almost every week, building up younger talent, cutting top notch promos, promoting like crazy all over the place, he’s really giving it his all. That says a lot about a guy his age instead of just coasting toward retirement.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Jericho's legacy was cemented a long time ago. The man's ability to reinvent himself is something all wrestlers should aspire to achieve with their careers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts