Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
1. The Rise of Hulkamania was what put WWF/E on the map. Without that angle, there is no WWF or Wrestlemania. Therefore, this angle is the most important storyline of all time.
2. Austin vs McMahon

Rest are all playing for 3rds or 4ths.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
7,918 Posts
I wasn’t on the forum then either lol I also didn’t hate it. The angle just seemed a shadow of what it could and should have been, and at times was just poorly booked.

The issues have been discussed to death but the biggest one was the lack of actual WCW stars, the reasons like the issues have been discussed and they all made sense, no one in their right mind would have picked up Hogan’s bloated contract, but the lack of actual WCW talent made the angle more akin to WWe: Civil War, which would actually be an awesome final angle for Vince should he ever retire, than WWF vs WCW.

Also while Angle vs Austin was probably the best thing to come out of the angle, Austin should NEVER have been heel for WWF vs WCW. It’s “Monday morning quarterbacking” but one of the pillars of that angle should have been the tension of Austin and McMahon teaming together for the first time and whether or not they could sustain an alliance to save WWF.

There were other issues, some big, some nit picky, and there were bright spots as well. I’m not one to say it’s a WOAT angle, but I do think it was mediocre at best and was a squandered opportunity, the first of many when it came to WWF using WCW stars and material.

Edit: also, if Austin / Angle is the best thing to come out of it, Foley’s ECW One Night Stand promo was the second. Simply genius and hilarious lmao
Interesting take. I haven't thought of the storyline that way. Austin and McMahon pushing tension in teaming together would have been cool. I thought he played an awesome heel though with The Rock playing the babyface.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Austin-McMahon. It was just amazing. I watched those years on the Network and the way Austin stayed over for so long was amazing. Also because it has manymore great storylines inside of it/around it.

The alliance storyline had great potentiel too, but when you have Buff Bagwell in a main-event in the beginning it is doomed to fail.

·
Waiting for Kawato
816 Posts
If we're talking long form but not too long form, the Undertaker storyline from when he was champion and Paul Bearer started trying to blackmail him all the way to Wrestlemania 14 is fucking incredible and by far and away the greatest thing I have ever seen from them. Austin-McMahon from Wrestlemania 14 through Fully Loaded 99 was pretty epic too. Don't remember too much of what happened after that, but the real ending at Wrestlemania X7 was glorious, I don't care how bad for business it was.

·
F*** This indy flippy shit
2,136 Posts
There’s only 2 that are even in the discussion.

Austin vs McMahon and Hogan vs Andre.

The 2 biggest storylines at the 2 biggest booms the industry has ever seen.

Nothing else even comes close to the popularity, money and drawing power of those two storylines.

·
Great One?..
10,819 Posts
The obvious ones have already been mentioned but to add to them Punk/Cena during the summer of 2011 after Punk's shoot until the MITBP PPV was also pretty solid.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Y'all need to stop with the Hogan-Andre. Andre could hardly walk by the time they set this up and the acting was beyond piss poor. Nobody with a beating heart believed Andre could beat Hogan at WM3 and the seats were mostly filled with stand-ins.
Dude shut up if Taker says people weren’t sure if Hogan could beat Andre because that’s still Andre and he believed and was wowed by the story, then your opinion is irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Austin vs McMahon and the NWO were game changers and are rightfully placed at the top of the list.

My personal greatest storyline was HHH between January and July 2000. From his feud with Cactus Jack then moving on building the McMahon-Helmsley faction which feuded with the Rock and then bringing in new Undertaker and then Kane to the fold to closing it all at KOTR 2000. Amazing shit with something new being added gradually which further progressed the storyline.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Batista vs HHH 2005(just an amazing long-bulid up story that made Batista into a massive star. I always loved the entire Evolution arc, and that feud was it's long-awaited, masterfully made climax)
Jericho vs Michaels 2008(Phenomenal storytelling,segments, promos and matches. Literally everything clicked and worked during that feud.)

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
There has been a lot of incredible stories written over the years from WWE. Austin vs Vince, The Mega Powers explode, Bryan and The Authority, Kane’s debut etc, so what would you say is WWE’s best and what had you personally invested the most?

For me, nothing beats HBK/Taker II. It was set up perfectly. Shawn’s obsession with the streak, Taker refusing to fight him, HBK going mental at losing the rumble and costing Taker his title. Both men executed it perfectly.
Austin-McMahon probably has to take the top spot, though Austin-Bret was also a great story in its own right, with Bret's heel turn being some of the best character work (rivaled by Vince a year later) ever in pro-wrestling.

Whatever they were doing with the WrestleMania main events from WrestleMania 3 till about WrestleMania 6 is some of the best long term storytelling Vince has ever done and it was so low-key. Everybody talks about how the focus was on Hogan after losing to Warrior, but that's ignoring how it mirrors Andre at WrestleMania 3. Just as Andre was a sore loser, Hogan was a graceful one. The camerawork and framing shows a great juxtaposition between the two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Personally I love the whole Evolution saga. From when they first formed to the 4 belts team to the Randy Orton arc all the way to the final arc with Batista.

I understand why Austin vs McMahon is generally regarded as the greatest though.

WWF vs Alliance would be up there if booked better, but that’s a big if.

Eventhough they are short feuds and most would rate them low but I loved the Team Austin vs Team Bischoff and Team Angle vs Team Lesnar too.

·
Registered
7,385 Posts
Austin vs McMahon :

• original fresh story-line for its time
  • 2 performers who just clicked and had instant chemistry
  • great promos and iconic segments
  • very relatable who hasn't anted to beat up their boss lol
  • it was also a storyline that featured several superstars it wasn't just Vince vs Austin 1 on 1

·
alexa = greatest of all time!
3,042 Posts
austin mcmahon 99
michaels jericho 08
hhh batista 05

41 - 60 of 75 Posts