Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a lot of incredible stories written over the years from WWE. Austin vs Vince, The Mega Powers explode, Bryan and The Authority, Kane’s debut etc, so what would you say is WWE’s best and what had you personally invested the most?

For me, nothing beats HBK/Taker II. It was set up perfectly. Shawn’s obsession with the streak, Taker refusing to fight him, HBK going mental at losing the rumble and costing Taker his title. Both men executed it perfectly.

·
Premium Member
16,945 Posts
Gargano & Ciampa.

Even being derailed with injuries, the time, content, and execution is the best WWE has ever done. I can argue myself out of it if we're including climate and reception of WWE in the rest of the world's eyes. MacMahon v Austin was nearly public knowledge at the time, as was Hogan v Andre, Rock v Cena. But, in terms of quality, Gargano & Ciampa's ongoing life feud is the most coherent and well executed wrestling storyline I've ever seen on easily accessible wrestling (I'm sure there's a killer 1 year indy feud being sold on DVDs somewhere).

·
Registered
493 Posts
A lot of storylines look good on paper, it's just a matter of how well the wrestlers can execute them.

I'd say Kane vs. Undertaker through WrestleMania 14 is the best written storyline on paper. Austin/McMahon is the best storyline when it comes to execution because of how charismatic Austin and McMahon were and how good they were at playing their characters.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Austin vs McMahon

Notable mentions:
Hulkamania (84-93) (inc Rock n Wrestling, Andre heel turn, Mega Powers Explode, Earthquake injury, comeback, representing America during war, final run)
Jake Roberts turn to the darkside after snake is killed
Randy Savage and Elizabeth saga (extended to marriage, Jake/Savage, 'Taker face turn, Flair allegations, Mr Perfect face turn, Flair banished)

Notice how it all entwines.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The main event of Summerslam 1997: Bret Hart v Undertaker for WWF title (with Shawn Michaels as ref)

-The whole Bret Hart v America storyline
-If Bret loses, he never wrestles in America again stip
-If Shawn shows favoritism to Undertaker, he can never wrestle in America again stip
-Hart Foundation always lurking
-Paul Bearer teasing Kane coming
-Shawn trying to maintain order with Bret cheating and Taker just not giving a fuck
-Undertaker fully escaping a fully synched-in Sharpshooter
-Bret finally provokes Shawn enough to swing a chair that ends up cracking Undertaker
-Shawn is forced to look in Bret's eyes as he counts Undertaker out

Excellently Executed

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Have to give a shout out to Punk vs Hardy. Great storyline that blended reality with fiction. One really hated heel and a beloved babyface. Good matches too and the story had the right ending in the main event at Summerslam.

·
Registered
11,625 Posts
Austin vs McMahon was most successful storyline they did but you can easily argue there were better storylines.

Alot of Austin vs McMahon is good/great but some parts really take you out
1. Vince should not have been maineventing ppvs over WWF champion
2. Vince winning 99 rumble was complete waste of time and went down like a lead brick in the building
3. Greater power storyline was a waste of 6 months that went nowhere only right back to square one
4. Some of the matches on top were bad, very bad thanks to overbooking

1 - 20 of 75 Posts