Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it was very entertaining at the time. Of course I was like 12 at the time but it was entertaining to see new stars I haven't see before attack the the WWF roster. Must be an IWC thing because I loved every minute of it then.

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
5,639 Posts
I thought it was very entertaining at the time. Of course I was like 12 at the time but it was entertaining to see new stars I haven't see before attack the the WWF roster. Must be an IWC thing because I loved every minute of it then.
Completley agree. People dont like it becuase the lack of genuine WCW stars like Goldberg. Still, i loved all the invasion and imo it made 2001 the best year in wrestling.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
Already been answered last month. I'm not in the mood to write out the same lengthy reasons.

But basically: certain big stars wanted to wait out their contracts; Vince didn't want to buy them out.
So we missed a lot of WCW names.
The Invasion match was fine, it was 5 WWF guys against a mixture of ECW/WCW guys.

SS came down to this though: Team Alliance was pretty much Shane, Austin and Angle (all WWF guys) vs the WWF.
The idea that Shane owned WCW was okay-ish. Steph owning ECW when Heyman was there, was stupid.

The entire thing was a basic McMahon fued; all we needed was for NJPW to go out of business, Vince to buy them and Linda to control them and boom, all the family could attend.

That and it was basically "let's see how much we can make WCW/ECW look like shit".

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already been answered last month. I'm not in the mood to write out the same lengthy reasons.

But basically: certain big stars wanted to wait out their contracts; Vince didn't want to buy them out.
So we missed a lot of WCW names.
The Invasion match was fine, it was 5 WWF guys against a mixture of ECW/WCW guys.

SS came down to this though: Team Alliance was pretty much Shane, Austin and Angle (all WWF guys) vs the WWF.
The idea that Shane owned WCW was okay-ish. Steph owning ECW when Heyman was there, was stupid.

The entire thing was a basic McMahon fued; all we needed was for NJPW to go out of business, Vince to buy them and Linda to control them and boom, all the family could attend.

That and it was basically "let's see how much we can make WCW/ECW look like shit".
so you weren't entertained with the angle?

·
Registered
845 Posts
It was entertaing at the time but when you look back the lack of genuine wcw wrestlers makes it seem a bit pointless

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I was really excited with it when it started but by about October it was losing steam rapidly. Vince basically said it himself when he said he "tired of all this invasion crap" and announced the Survivor Series elimination match.

It started strongly with all the new talent and interactions with the current WWF roster but putting so many WWF guys on the WCW/ECW side (Test, Christian, Angle, etc.) and de-pushing guys like DDP, Palumbo & O'Haire, Kanyon, Awesome, Booker (to an extent) and others kinda soured it for me.

·
Premium Member
15,036 Posts
IMO, what made it horrible was the Stone Cold and Kurt Angle joining the Alliance. I understand that the Alliance lacked star power but it was just too many heel/face turns from Angle and Austin.

Other than that, I was cool with it. Sure, I wished Sting and several others would have been apart of it but seeing how the WCW/ECW guys got buried, I'm glad they weren't apart of it.

·
Banned
561 Posts
loved the invasion, the matches that were put on were crazy good with the new wrestlers and their styles against the likes of edge, test, rock, austin, boooker t, kurt angle, jericho, rhyno, etc.

·
Banned
3,223 Posts
the invasion angle coud have been better that's why.

·
Banned
12,539 Posts
Because it just didn't exceed expectations, although many things don't. Simply, we didn't get Goldberg, Sting, Hulk Hogan, Scott Hall, Kevin Nash who were the biggest five from the WCW over the course of the Monday Night Wars and what they did give us with were superstars who ended up getting buried anyway.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Well, it was a poorly executed angle that made most of the WCW wrestlers look like chumps, introduced far too many titles, put guys on WCW's side that had no business being there, lacked any of the really big WCW stars, and quickly turned into The McMahon Family Matters Feud, which had already run its course.

·
Try being informed instead of just opinionated.
3,350 Posts
- As previously mentioned, Flair, Hogan, Hall, Nash, Stiener, Goldberg, and Bischoff were all hired after the Invasion angle was over. Not to mention Guerrero was gone during this time and both Benoit and Triple H were injured.

- Overall, The Alliance was booked way too weak. More specifically, all the WCW talent Vince did acquire were made to look weak (especially Booker T and DDP).

- The InVasion PPV was in July. The storyline ended at Survivor Series 4 months later. Booker T and RVD were the only 2 participants of the "Winner Take All" match who were not employed by WWE before the Invasion angle started.

- All Vince wanted to do from the beginning was bury WCW. When you think about what could have been done compared to what was, it was just a complete disappointment. To think we could still have RAW vs. Nitro instead of RAW vs. Smackdown makes me sad.

·
Registered
441 Posts
A) Because there were only 2 guys from WCW that WWF fans viewed as legitimate main eventers (Booker T & DDP), and they had Undertaker squash DDP almost immediately. We never got the DDP vs. Rock/Austin/Angle PPV main events we wanted. This may be hard for some of you younger fans to believe, but DDP actually was a big deal at one time.

B) We wanted to see WWF vs WCW, and what we got was some weird new faction called "The Alliance" that had less and less to do with WCW, to the point that the letters "WCW" were almost never mentioned, and the main stars of that faction were Steve Austin, Kurt Angle, and Shane McMahon. The 10-man main event in the blow-off PPV had exactly one WCW guy: Booker T.

C) No Hogan, Nash, Hall, Bischoff, Savage, Flair, Sting, Goldberg, Steiner, et al.

D) Heck, even the WWF side was undermanned, as Triple H was injured and Rock was still gone for the start of the feud.

·
Banned
6,531 Posts
they should have waited till 2002 to start the invasion.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
It wasn't the real WCW that faced off against WWF. The main thing that sucks when you look back on it, is that basically everyone(Goldberg,NWO,Flair ect) all debut in WWE within 2 or so years after the invasion. Flair came in basically right after the invasion, so it's not like WWE just reached a deal with those guys then, they could have brought them in earlier.

But I'm glad I knew nothing about WCW or ECW when I watched the invasion, that way, I could actually enjoy it(and looking back on it,regardless of who did or didn't appear, I still enjoy it) instead of complaining like most ppl prob did during the invasion(and are prob the same ppl complaining about wwe 11 years later)

Though Hogan would have been the most interesting star in the whole invasion, cause he's had the most success in both companies, than any other star. So him having to choose between WCW and WWF would have been a much bigger story than other stars(like Austin,Angle,Rock)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts