Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the biggest problems with WWE right now is that they can't capitalize on a lot of things that made them popular during the attitude era, but what is stopping TNA from doing so?

I'll admit, when Hogan/Bischoff first came in they tried a lot of things like blood during matches, taking numerous shots at WWE, using offensive language, etc. but they have toned down a lot the last year or so and it almost feels like they aren't trying anymore. Now I'm not saying those things are sure fire ways of increasing viewers or making the show better, but when it is done right, it is entertaining to watch. I think the problem with Hogan/Bisch was they tried too much too fast, the same way they had Impact on Live on Monday nights. Just because that didn't succeed then, doesn't mean it would never succeed. I don't know about being on monday nights, but I know that if the show were on consistently Live every week, TNA would gradually gain more viewers, especially if the product was good and they had surprises up their sleeves.

Anyway, what do you think TNA could be capitalizing on right now that they aren't?

*I think extreme matches is something they could explore more. Currently, I don't see much difference in WWE and TNA's wrestling styles. The X Division which should be insane is being lead by a guy who is an amazing technical wrestler, which is fine, but where the heck is the rest of the division and it's supposed no limits style? With that said, I think TNA could add more violent matches.

*Showing off the sexiness of the knockouts. I don't care about how the knockouts wrestle, most suck anyway. I think KO's need to be used more for their sex appeal. And I'm saying this from the position of wanting to increase the ratings. Torrie Wilson and Stacy Keibler didn't gain their fame for being good wrestlers.

To be continued...

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
What TNA is NOT capitlizing on is the fact that they are NOT WWE and that is the 21st century. I honestly believe that these two things have alluded TNA for the longest. I don't feel like going into detail right now as I feel both as self explanatory but if someone wants me to elaborate then I will.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Its actually pretty good right now but people have to face the facts. Wrestling isnt as popular as it was and you cant expect any company to get the great ratings right now. Honestly all things considered TNA is doing incredible. I think people are unaware just how many other companies have come and gone while TNA has kept growing.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I'd say the opposite on the Knockouts. They should focus on really good consistant wrestling from them. If you just base it all on looks, you'll get models who can't run the ropes (Kelly Kelly, Velvet Sky). But if you get good fueds and 5 star matches, that sets them apart and they can succeed. They had that at one time. I think Kong and Gail Kim were amazing few years back. They have the talent now to push in this direction and have great "wrestling" from the knockouts Gail Kim, Mickie James, Tara, ODB, Madison, Angelina, Sarita - these are my tops in the technical department that can actually perform a solid match.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Not capitalizing on the fact they are not WWE:

What I mean by this statment is simple: TNA at no point in their existence ever realized that they are TNA and not WWE. Because of this they did not make the needed adjustments to prevent big finacial disaters and embarrassment. One of the key turning points in JJ losing power in TNA is when TNA held Slammiversary in a HUGE ass arena and got NO WHERE CLOSE to selling it out and this is when they had a gimmick of tickets being like 1 dollar or something extremely cheap like that. TNA was booking arenas WWE would book and it failed. No one stood back for a moment and said "Hey! We are a growing company and we need to grow our base. let's start off with a 2-3 sized arena and advance from there". TNA looked at WWE as the standard and modeled their entire business plan after them. Remember Jarrett and Carter for YEARS said their plan was to get on MONDAY NIGHTS! Dixie Carter signed a contract with a PPV provided to air 12 PPVs a year. These things are all indicative of a company who does not know its size and has no identity. This company also CHANGED THE NAME OF THEIR TV SHOW all because of a WWE memo to TV Guide...think about that for a second.

TNA takes all of its queues from WWE (Impact Zone entrace: big screen, ramp) and is unbashful about it( wrestler poses on top of stage, gets in ring, poses hard cam side, turns to face opponent coming out, rinse and repear) to the point of nasuea (authority figures and GM's running rampart). TNA looked at WWE and copied WWE and assumed that doing wrestling or presenting wrestling in any other way would spell doom for them. Monty Brown was red hot at one point but TNA killed it. Samoa Joe was fucking on fire...but TNA killed that. Lethal was hot for a while, but TNA made sure to kill that. Why? because they wanted to be WWE and believed that only guys and girls who had the WWE stamp on them could elevate the promotion to the top. Now its one thing to have that mindset for guys like RVD, Team 3D, Angle, Booker T, and other top guys who came in...but to sacrifice TNA 'homegrowns' to make them seem second fiddle to WWE guys and girls who don't and haven't meant shit in a long time is something that TNA is still paying for.

At this time I honestly don't believe TNA has realized they are NOT WWE and think they are competing with WWE when in reality they should be focusing on their product. TNA has made their product as close to WWE as possible (replacing an on fire West with Taz) to the determent of the advancement of their own product.

The 21st Century:

I want to touch back on the Monday Night move. TNA did this because they were stuck in the 90's. They didn't realize the landscape of pro wrestling in the 21st century. The landscape that basically says that WWE fans watch wrestling on Monday nights and not pro wrestling fans. This isn't meant as a negative or in an ROH WE ARE PRO WRESTLING AND NOT SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT WAY, but in the way that people who watch Monday Nights for the most part have been fans for a very long time. Monday is Raw. Plain and simple and they are NOT watching something else and TNA proved that by dividing their viewership in half all because they thought it was 1999.

Its 2012. Plain and simple and because of this there are certain things that are hip and some that are not. Generic rock theme music might have flown in the 90's, but not now. Grunge, Nu-Metal, and all that shit is dead....so why put it at the forefront of you promotion? WWE does it because that's their style and for the most part are out of their funk of the 90's when it comes to their music, but TNA hasn't moved on. The constant mentioning of Twitter is not cool but in fact in the same vein as a grandmother getting all happy that her name was said on the local news and now EVERYONE in the city heard her name. Its excitement for absolutely NOTHING that is generating a profit. Of course people are going to be talking about your show while it is on with the invention of the internet. TNA nor WWE should pimp this as its another one of those statics that at the end of the day just do not mean dick. Okay great...2,000 people are talking about BullRay...how much money does that put in anyone's pocket?

Look at the shitty website and how TNA doesn't use their youtube channel or website to start anything viral as it relates to their product. Look at the slow unvealing of EVOLVE's website and compare that to the launch of TNA's website or anything TNA has done web related. Its night and day. EVOLVE realized you have to create buzz and mystery and have people keep coming back..TNA threw up a cheap looking Joomla layout and called it a day. TNA likes to do 'phone videos' but never does it right and often overdoes it. This goes beyond technology and includes the use of talent. Why is Hogan and Eric Bischoff making decisions in a wrestling company in 2012? Why is Bruce Pitchard working in creative? Why is Mike Tenay calling matches? The wrestling business is truly dying behind the scenes because no one has any faith to put the books in the hands of someone like Quackenbush or scout the indy scene for good talent for the commentary booth before WWE grabs them. Mike Striker and Rob Naylor were floating around for YEARS and TNA never scooped them up. The Briscoes, Mickie James, and CM Punk were both in TNA at one point...but because they never worked huge shows prior or mainevented WM TNA didn't give a shit and released all of them.

Look at the stage setup. Why does pro wrestling in the 21st century have to look like an episode of 1998 Raw Is War with just a few more lights and newer screen tech? These are the two reasons TNA is not where they should be and until they grasp the fact and decide to go into a new and bold direction that is not WWE lite...then they will continue to do the business they are doing. There is a saying...too little...too late. I would love to see where TNA would have been if in 2006 they decided to run with AMW,Styles, Samoa Joe, Monty Brown, Alex Shelley, and Christian as their top guys and got rid of Jarrett, Raven, Sabu, BG James, Konnan, and kept Sting as only a special attraction.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
1 thing tna should try to capitalize on is signing indy talents, specifically ROH wrestlers.

idk why they havent looked at their talent. last wrestler they looked at from ROH was nigel mcguiness. tna need to sign some roh wrestlers (briscoes, generico, davey, eddie) before wwe wipe out their roster snd completely ruin them. tyler black, kings of wrestling, danielson, these guys coulda been in tna, but for some reason they dont look into them and wwe gets them insted, which is a real shame.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I think they should just continue building up stars. Bully Ray is a bigger star than he has ever been, Crimson, Gunner, Austin Aries are all rising. James Storm and Bobby Roode are legitimate main eventers and are honestly better than anything WWE has.

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
That's true about the presentation and how the Titantron and ramps has become a staple for pro wrestling shows nowadays.

I think TNA is not capitalizing on their working relationships and worldwide talent. TNA have a working with relationship with AAA and I still think they have some type of agreement with New Japan. One thing the NWA 1980's/WCW/ECW did well that people loved is using a variety of wrestlers from worldwide. Muta,Chono,Liger,Ultimo Dragon,Juvi,La Parka,Tanaka,Eddie Guerrero,Rey Jr(one of the biggest draws in history, and arguably a top 10 draw today).

AAA and New Japan is already paying these guys. Both companies is willing to let TNA use their guys. And I am not talking about World cup, I would bring guys in all year round.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
That's true about the presentation and how the Titantron and ramps has become a staple for pro wrestling shows nowadays.

I think TNA is not capitalizing on their working relationships and worldwide talent. TNA have a working with relationship with AAA and I still think they have some type of agreement with New Japan. One thing the NWA 1980's/WCW/ECW did well that people loved is using a variety of wrestlers from worldwide. Muta,Chono,Liger,Ultimo Dragon,Juvi,La Parka,Tanaka,Eddie Guerrero,Rey Jr(one of the biggest draws in history, and arguably a top 10 draw today). AAA and New Japan is already paying these guys. Both companies is willing to let TNA use their guys. And I am not talking about World cup, I would bring guys in all year round.
There is some contractual issue with AAA talent appearing on Impact. When they were doing the AAA invasion some website reported that many wrestlers in AAA are not allowed to appear in TNA.

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
There is some contractual issue with AAA talent appearing on Impact. When they were doing the AAA invasion some website reported that many wrestlers in AAA are not allowed to appear in TNA.
You right, I forgot about the whole Lucha Libre USA/AAA US deal.However,they can use PDM/Independent guys that work fulltime with AAA like Perro Jr, LA Park(original La Parka),Dr. Wagner because these guys are not signed directly to AAA.

It don't have to be AAA and New Japan guys, there other promotions and talent out there. What if someone like Daisuke Sekimoto came to TNA and wreak havoc on the X division?

All I am saying is that TNA needs to make their product feel like a Worldwide company, at least on screen. I know they on tv in over a 100 countries but their product look like a indy located in Orlando.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I think the main thing they aren't capitalising on is being different, if you look back to 2005/2006 TNA was different and they could with a bit of work return to this. They need to concentrate on differentiating themselves from WWE and forming their own identity and building their own stars, it needs to reach a stage where TNA is unmissable due to people wanting to see guys like Roode, Storm, AJ, Crimson etc.
If they focussed on building the x division/ tag division and knockout division and found a middle ground between ROH and WWE I think they would have a really great product, some of the foundations are there they just need to build onto them.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
1. Samoa Joe: When you have one of the biggest draws of all time and a catalyst for a boom period in Stone Cold Steve Austin saying on Twitter; WWE should sign Joe and give him a huge push what else do you need to know? Strap and rocket up his ass and push him to the moon. I don't care if you think he's out of shape or over rated or whatever. If Austin see's money in you that's all that needs to be said.

2. Ken Anderson: Another guy Austin saw money in while in WWE, I understand some feel he's annoying and not much of a worker. It doesn't matter, the guy is super over and the only reason he's not in a better position is crappy booking. He literally switched from face and heel 3 or 4 times within a year. Most of those turns within the span of 2 months.

3. Alex Shelley: The guy is an amazing talker and an amazing wrestler. DO SOMETHING WITH HIM!

4. Austin Aries: Look at Alex Shelley and add to the fact he has a better superstar look.

Douglas Williams: One of your biggest markets is England, Doug Williams is an amazing wrestler. At least get him on fucking Impact.

Rob Terry: Get him away from fucking Robbie E. This guy looks like a monster, it doesn't matter if he's not the best in the ring. Goldberg was shit in the ring, He looks like a star, plus add in the whole England thing. Money.

Magnus: Good worker, likable on his promos, looks like a star, from England. Money.

AJ Styles: A unique and gifted athlete. At least have him on Impact every week delivering the quality.

Eric Young: The man is not only comedy gold, he's also a good worker and a hell of a little daredevil. He was known for that in Canada working some crazy ladder matches. Look beyond the joke.

Hulk Hogan: No one wants to see this man "running a wrestling company" they want to see hero Hulk Hogan in heated situations in heated and fresh situations with top talents.

Abyss: The man is crazy, a modern day Foley. Stop killing his heat with dumb booking.

Ric Flair: Everyone loves Flair, I know Flair prefers heeling it up but the audience just wants to love him. Give them what they want.

Jeremy Borash: Good announcer, he would freshen things up. Commentary wise.

The X Division: Destination X last year got rave reviews, it's a style WWE would never be able to touch. DO MORE WITH IT!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
1. Samoa Joe: When you have one of the biggest draws of all time and a catalyst for a boom period in Stone Cold Steve Austin saying on Twitter; WWE should sign Joe and give him a huge push what else do you need to know? Strap and rocket up his ass and push him to the moon. I don't care if you think he's out of shape or over rated or whatever. If Austin see's money in you that's all that needs to be said.

2. Ken Anderson: Another guy Austin saw money in while in WWE, I understand some feel he's annoying and not much of a worker. It doesn't matter, the guy is super over and the only reason he's not in a better position is crappy booking. He literally switched from face and heel 3 or 4 times within a year. Most of those turns within the span of 2 months.

3. Alex Shelley: The guy is an amazing talker and an amazing wrestler. DO SOMETHING WITH HIM!

4. Austin Aries: Look at Alex Shelley and add to the fact he has a better superstar look.

Douglas Williams: One of your biggest markets is England, Doug Williams is an amazing wrestler. At least get him on fucking Impact.

Rob Terry: Get him away from fucking Robbie E. This guy looks like a monster, it doesn't matter if he's not the best in the ring. Goldberg was shit in the ring, He looks like a star, plus add in the whole England thing. Money.

Magnus: Good worker, likable on his promos, looks like a star, from England. Money.

AJ Styles: A unique and gifted athlete. At least have him on Impact every week delivering the quality.

Eric Young: The man is not only comedy gold, he's also a good worker and a hell of a little daredevil. He was known for that in Canada working some crazy ladder matches. Look beyond the joke.

Hulk Hogan: No one wants to see this man "running a wrestling company" they want to see hero Hulk Hogan in heated situations in heated and fresh situations with top talents.

Abyss: The man is crazy, a modern day Foley. Stop killing his heat with dumb booking.

Ric Flair: Everyone loves Flair, I know Flair prefers heeling it up but the audience just wants to love him. Give them what they want.

Jeremy Borash: Good announcer, he would freshen things up. Commentary wise.

The X Division: Destination X last year got rave reviews, it's a style WWE would never be able to touch. DO MORE WITH IT!
That was the perfect answer.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I posted this in another thread, as it is pretty much the reason I stopped caring for TNA, even though I was an avid fan from 2004-2009.

It seems as though every couple of months, the talk is back on TNA's "financial situation" and how they're "slowly improving". Well, with all the money they spent on washed up talent back in 2010 to now, you would think that "growth" would have paid off a little more, eh?

Well what do I know anyway right? TNA is a "privately owned company", I'm just a smark who has no clue, even though ratings and, buyrates are stagnant at best, the fact that they're never on the road, and lack of any advertising or marquee name homegrown value being sponsored out of TNA exists. What do I know.

I'm frankly tired of Hogan being in ANY segment on iMPACT. The show was better without his fat out of shape smelly ass. What he should do is pack up his shit and retire. I don't give a damn if Linda took half, I'm sure he still has tons of dough laying around in one of his thong drawers next to his juvi juice. He doesn't need to be a judge, doesn't need to be in charge of "handing our contracts", he doesn't need to be GM especially, nor does he need to have any role in this business unless it's under some sort of legend deal where he makes one appearance a year for parody purposes. Vince McMannequin said it best, Hogan rarely succeeds when he goes out to do business for himself, and in TNA, that's what he's done and continues to do.

We're setting the bar high brother! No, you're not. If you really want to set the bar high, retire, legitimately, get the fuck off our TV's, and let someone else get their due diligence in a business that NEEDS new talent to grow into the generations to come. This isn't the 80', 90's, or even the 00's anymore. In 2012, Hulk Hogan should not be an integral part of a wrestling show, his image in terms of mainstream has all but diminished. It's like Michael Jordan coming back to play, taking the shine away from younger players, although he probably could if he wanted to, he knows it wouldn't be right for the rest of the guys who try to make a name for themselves. Difference between MJ and Hogan is that Hogan shit on his name and image throughout the years, MJ has been able to keep a tight lid on his, amidst a few controversies.

I will never understand how TNA can continue holding onto this false sense of hope, not realizing that this man, who they pay all this money to, who has done LITTLE to advertise TNA OUTSIDE of TNA, continues to show his old wrinkly mug on TV week in and week out, with younger superstars who are the top of the crop, bowing to his "greatness" Hogan begging for him to be GM. It's ridiculous, it's an utter mockery of the company and why a lot of us no longer care to follow through with the product.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts