Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On-screen people think referee only makes sure that rules are followed. But in reality referees play a bigger role than that.
they hand out blades if the superstar is about to cut them selves.
what else do they do?
do they call moves also?
how the fuck do they hide doing that in front of such a big audience and live tv?

·
Munster Mash
3,975 Posts
They show this in that one show about the secrets of wrestling that aired on UPN (Yeah, all those years ago).

·
Registered
117 Posts
From what I gather, they relay messages from the back, help keep track of time, give reminders and direction if they have to. They hide it through camera angles, covering up and they don't exactly yell things out and keep it as simple as possible.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
They'd probably use certain signals and stuff too, like when some wrestlers go 'if I clap when going for a dropkick, dodge it'.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I always thought it was that mysterious guy sitting next to the announcers who relayed the timing signals. I'd even read that they had it down to a system where the direction he was looking indicated "speed up" or "slow down."

·
Premium Member
6,155 Posts
Basically to make sure the match is running according to plan and help guide the wrestlers. Ring announcers/commentators also give certain signals and such like when its time to wrap up the match etc.

·
Stealing the Show
7,428 Posts
every ref wears an earpiece. They get instructions from the back about the match and spots, most likely. They probably then pass the orders to the wrestlers. Its not that difficult to hide during the course of the match, b/c not many people pay attention to the ref, unless you're specifically looking for call outs.

·
Registered
485 Posts
And the ref also delivers messages from the other wrestler to the other.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts