Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Banned
4,010 Posts
Re: What is the "BIGGEST" Championship match WWE has ever gave away on free televisio

It wasn't a championship match but giving away Jericho v Undertaker on Smackdown for free in 09 after keeping both guys from each other for over a decade was a huge blown opportunity IMO.

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts
Re: What is the "BIGGEST" Championship match WWE has ever gave away on free televisio

I would say Mysterio/Cena from RAW last year. Never before happened and a rare face vs. face match for the WWE Title. I think they should have waited and did it at Summerslam or even made it a 3 way with CM Punk.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts

Hulk Hogan vs. Andre The Giant - The Main Event 02/05/1988

The Undertaker vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin - Raw 06/28/1999

·
Banned
15,929 Posts

Yep... Hogan/Andre for WWE, and Hogan/Goldberg for WCW.

·
Registered
545 Posts

I would say the [Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar - 60 minute Iron Match] for the WWE Championship on smackdown back in 2003.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8n82cslgKg

What match do ya'll think?
good shout mate. It was a decent match not sure about best title match on tv but deffo top five

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts

personal opinions differ...I think that match was absolutely terrible.
I don't think it was a great match either but the question is what is the biggest match, not the best.

·
Registered
24 Posts

I always thought that RVD/Edge/Cena on RAW in '06 was pretty big, and it was also a solid contest. But definetly between Austin/'Taker '99 or Angle/Brock Ironman(Y)

·
Registered
33 Posts

The Undertaker vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin - Raw 06/28/1999
[/QUOTE]

Awesome!!!

·
Registered
3,635 Posts

The 60-minute Iron Man match with Angle vs. Lesnar for the WWE Championship on SmackDown 2003. Would've said Cena vs. Michaels on Raw 2007, but it wasn't for the title.

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts

Couple others:

Kane vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin - Raw 06/29/1998

The Rock vs. Mankind - Raw 01/04/1999

·
Premium Member
15,077 Posts

Not sure how to post videos, but I came across a rather HUGE WWE Title match that didn't take place on PPV.

Don't know the year but it was back when Rock was champion. He faced Triple H and Brock Lesnar in a triple threat for the Undisputed Championship at a special event in Australia.

Seems like that would have been a big time PPV match.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts

Austin/Rock the night after WrestleMania 17
Austin/Undertaker the night after King Of The Ring in 1999
Hogan/Andre on The Main Event in 1988

·
Registered
9,547 Posts

1. Hogan vs Andre SNME 88/Rock vs Mankind EAM, Halftime SuperBowl 99/Rock vs Austin Cage match.

Rock/Foley January RAW 99
Austin/Taker June RAW 99
Hogan/Flair May RAW 02
Rock/Austin November RAW 98
Austin/Show March RAW 99
Angle/Lesnar September SD 03

·
Stealing the Show
7,428 Posts

I don't think it was a great match either but the question is what is the biggest match, not the best.
ah ok...i guess my interpretation of "biggest" was "best"

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts

Not sure how to post videos, but I came across a rather HUGE WWE Title match that didn't take place on PPV.

Don't know the year but it was back when Rock was champion. He faced Triple H and Brock Lesnar in a triple threat for the Undisputed Championship at a special event in Australia.

Seems like that would have been a big time PPV match.
That was a show taped for DVD release called Global Warning Tour Melbourne. Would have loved to have seen that on a big 4 PPV.

Rock vs Mankind EAM, Halftime SuperBowl 99
Forgot about that one - HUGE.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts