Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pac beating Omega clean on ppv was the biggest mistake AEW has made so far. It killed Kenny as a true main eventer and did little to elevate Pac to that level. Ruined the momentum for the Moxley vs Omega match and Kenny never quite recovered.

Cody adding the "will never get another title shot again" stipulation was pointless...everyone knew jericho was going to win regardless. Its cool that Cody doesnt want to abuse his powers and make himself world champion... I respect that.... but he could have just decided behind the scenes not to become world champ instead of declaring it to the world. Right now AEW is very weak at the top...not many legit world title contenders for Moxley to face... and removing the threat/possibility of a cody vs moxley main event is stupid.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I don't want to come across as overly critical but lets face it, a lot of what they do in the booking room are mistakes ranging from enhancement talents lasting over 5 minutes with main event guys and midcard guys going 15-20 with main event guys to the way guys are booked and what stories they're given.

They don't have a booker or a writer in the company with them. Cody was the son of a great booker and probably learned a bit from his dad but probably not enough to write compelling television every week of the year. Kenny and The Bucks are somehow bookers now and are learning on the job despite never having booked anything bar maybe a few one off independent shows in their time. Tony Khan gets his ideas from the WWE Network and old episodes of Nitro/RAW and ECW.

The random stipulations, the stupid gimmicks, the comedy matches, the flip flopping of characters, the poorly booked matches, the insistence on every match being ridiculously long. It all just points to a creative and booking team that don't know what they're doing.

I think a better question would be to ask what they've done well so far.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
8,035 Posts
PAC beating Omega was awesome. It didn't hurt his image at all. It established PAC right out of the gate as a main event level threat.

I would say though that not booking himself as a mega-star in a general sense was the biggest mistake. But that can easily be rectified, this is pro wrestling and his past booking doesn't really matter. No one remembers that shit or really gives a damn except for the IWC, and we are a very, very small minority compared to the rest of the hardcore fan base. What's happening in the moment is the only thing that matters. How else would you explain how Becky and Kofi were able to get so over despite their previous booking, ya know? Its sports entertainment. And Kenny is the f'n best at it. Once the Hangman Page storyline picks back up, Omega will be back on top of the world.

Not pushing Moxley as the mega-star first would have been a bigger mistake though. The guy was over AF and was already established in the states. Omega can honestly get as over as he wants whenever he wants. The guy is untouchable. After not booking himself as a mega star for a stretch in 2019, he went on to get some of the greatest crowd reactions in the business when he fought PAC in the Ironman and in what I would call, the greatest tag match of all time at Revolution with Page and the Bucks. The crowd was freaking out when he kicked out at 1 towards the end of that match. Pure excitement and entertainment at its finest. Then the pandemic happened in the middle of his rise from the ashes.

Kenny Omega will be a celebrity mega-star and the top pro-wrestler in the world within 8-12 months after things get back to normal, mark my words. And I can't fuckin wait.

Giving Marko Stunt so much air time is also a mistake. They also need to cut down on some of the match lengths. No reason jobbers should be getting 15 minutes with your actual stars.

Other than that though, AEW has been doing great. Everything else has been awesome. I love the way Cody has pushed himself, building himself as a star but not hogging the gold while putting others over, the mid-card scene is good, MJF is being protected and is still undefeated, big men are booked how big men should be booked, the tag division is good, the comedy hasn't been overbearing, and the women's division is starting to get an identity.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
I agree AEW doesn't feel aggressive. Why start a new promotion to act like its this cute comedy family so happy. If I have to hear Audrey the referees say one more time how much a aew is like a happy family and how it feels so good. What the hell does she know about a big time wrestling promotion.

The reality of the real decisions have not sunk in yet or of course happened.

Now I do think this is a great thing but it's the fact that a aew focuses more on things like hearing sensitive rooms for people instead of focusing on the fucking direction.

And they want cute publicity for it. But that's Brandi and Cody for you

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
PAC beating Omega was awesome. It didn't hurt his image at all. It established PAC right out of the gate as a main event level threat.

I would say though that not booking himself as a mega-star in a general sense was the biggest mistake. But that can easily be rectified, this is pro wrestling and his past booking doesn't really matter. No one remembers that shit or really gives a damn except for the IWC, and we are a very, very small minority compared to the rest of the hardcore fan base. What's happening in the moment is the only thing that matters. How else would you explain how Becky and Kofi were able to get so over despite their previous booking, ya know? Its sports entertainment. And Kenny is the f'n best at it. Once the Hangman Page storyline picks back up, Omega will be back on top of the world.

Not pushing Moxley as the mega-star first would have been a bigger mistake though. The guy was over AF and was already established in the states. Omega can honestly get as over as he wants whenever he wants. The guy is untouchable. After not booking himself as a mega star for a stretch in 2019, he went on to get some of the greatest crowd reactions in the business when he fought PAC in the Ironman and in what I would call, the greatest tag match of all time at Revolution with Page and the Bucks. The crowd was freaking out when he kicked out at 1 towards the end of that match. Pure excitement and entertainment at its finest. Then the pandemic happened in the middle of his rise from the ashes.

Kenny Omega will be a celebrity mega-star and the top pro-wrestler in the world within 8-12 months after things get back to normal, mark my words. And I can't fuckin wait.

Giving Marko Stunt so much air time is also a mistake. They also need to cut down on some of the match lengths.

Other than that though, AEW has been doing great. Everything else has been awesome. I love the way Cody has pushed himself, the mid-card scene is good, big men are booked how big men should be booked, the tag division is good, the comedy hasn't been overbearing, and the women's division is starting to get an identity.
Be prepared. This post just made you public enemy #1.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I don't know where to start as they've made so many in such a short time.

So I'm going to say calling it (All Elite) Wrestling, but then hiring anybody and everybody.

Making Cody, The Bucks, Kenny and Brandi the bookers of the promotion.

Having a win/loss record with weekly standings. Which are never adhered to.

Not having enough title divisions from the start. Which meant that there was nothing for the wrestlers to fight for and glorified jobbers being booked as equals to the main stars.

Storylines being played out on YouTube rather than on TV. Which meant that people who were only watching Dynamite had no idea what was even happening.

Pushing the wrong stars which were usually friends of the Elite guysand giving them more tv time over more capable stars.

Not being more Ruthless.

Being obsessed with WWE.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
8,035 Posts
Nothing. The fact that I have a wrestling show that makes me want to watch weekly again is all I need.

Really the only major mistake they’ve made thus far is stripping Cody’s ability to win the strap.
Agreed. It’s really hard to not like the show for me when the alternative is WWE. AEW hasn’t really done anything to make me despise them like RAW and SD do on a weekly basis. I look forward to every Wednesday night now. Great job by all those guys so far.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
17,657 Posts
  • Riho winning the belt instead of Shida.
  • Lucha Bros not winning the tag titles.
  • Moxley beating Jericho for the belt.
Just from their PPV results so far. I think PAC should have beaten Page at Full Gear though.

Shida should have absolutely been the first women's champion. Most charismatic and carries herself like a star.

Lucha Bros not only should have been the first champions, they should have won the triple tag team match at Full Gear too.

Moxley should have been used as the catalyst to turn Cody heel. He isn't granted a match with Jericho at Revolution and it leads to Moxley feel like he's being held down etc. And ends up feuding with Cody before going for the belt later in the year.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Debuting a second singles championship. It doesn't make any sense with a ranking system and unlike other booking disagreements it can't really be reverted.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
There are so many booking mistakes, but I think the biggest is who they’ve put in charge of booking and their underlying philosophy behind booking. The comedy made it very unlikely that major stars like CM Punk, Randy Orton, Brock Lesnar and Bryan Danielson would ever sign with them, which was important to their perception as an entity that can actually put up a promotional fight.

·
rasslin
2,866 Posts
- Presenting the Lucha Bros in the main event of the early PPV's only to have them lose to teams like the best friends on TV and then having them be in the background of almost every show they're on.

- Having Pac brag about being undefeated since his WWE release only to then have a record just above .500 weeks later.

- Anything with the dork order, stunt, sunny kiss, best friends or the librarians.

- Thinking that Omega is already an established main eventer so its fine to have him put guys over despite most of the casuals not knowing who he is.

- Having MJF go missing after beating Cody.

- Turning Jericho into a comedy act.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
- Presenting the Lucha Bros in the main event of the early PPV's only to have them lose to teams like the best friends on TV and then having them be in the background of almost every show they're on.

- Having Pac brag about being undefeated since his WWE release only to then have a record just above .500 weeks later.

- Anything with the dork order, stunt, sunny kiss, best friends or the librarians.

- Thinking that Omega is already an established main eventer so its fine to have him put guys over despite most of the casuals not knowing who he is.

- Having MJF go missing after beating Cody.

- Turning Jericho into a comedy act.
jericho comedy act was probably his own idea... jericho is old now...so he is piling on the dad jokes.

another huge mistake was hiring excalibur for commentating

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Pre-coronavirus – booking Jurassic Express vs Best Friends as a main event match over Riho Vs Statlander for the Women`s Championship, especially when AEW is all about claiming that women`s wrestling matters. They basically suggested that the Women's Championship - and all associated storylines, including the much maligned Nightmare Collective - is secondary to comedy characters and to not to take that division seriously. Which is a huge problem in an era where women are main eventing PPVs in WWE and UFC, are winning and defending the men's world title in Impact, and even have their own Netflix wrestling series.

During coronavirus – Moxley`s DoN opponent. Regardless if it was Hager, Omega, Jericho, or MJF, there were better choices for Moxley to face than Brodie Lee, who is going to end up taking an L for absolutely no reason. Hager' and Omega's respective W/L records in particular should have been better protected going into DoN. In the meantime, Moxley should have faced either Guevara or Wardlow instead of an empty arena match with Hager.

Honourable mentions:

Leaving awesome promos by Darby Allin and PAC on Youtube and Dark respectively when they should have been put on tv to help promote the adult feel of the promotion during the early days of Dynamite.

Production - focusing on the crowd in the middle of matches too much to get the audience over, even during their six star classic at Revolution earlier this year, instead of their roster who are largely unknown to many viewers. Not to mention how it takes away from the supposed serious sporting event atmosphere that AEW was trying to foster. UFC doesn't do that, and NJPW only does that during epic matches. And even then, its usually when both opponents are down on the ground and NJPW pans over the entire crowd, instead of focusing on just one person to see their reaction like AEW does.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts