Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Banned
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know that he seems to have a decent fan following but I look at him and don't see anything special. Is there something I'm missing? His look is pretty generic as he looks like a smaller, Jake Hager wannabe and his nickname "freshly squeezed" is especially dumb and doesn't make much sense so can someone explain why he has such a following?

· Registered
29,994 Posts
He's fun and different.

So many guys nowadays can do all the flips and all the moves, and so can he. But his character is basicacally someone who gives so little of a shit about everything that he puts about 1% of effort into anything.

And when you see that play out in wrestling, it's funny to watch. And he when he does get serious, it's such a shock to the system that you can't help but play along.

· Ilya Smirnov ate my puppy.
5,972 Posts
Check out his matches on YouTube. Fans love him, and other wrestlers’ reactions to him are usually priceless. Like Santana stopping in the middle of the brawl to quietly close the bathroom door after seeing OC inside — he’ll beat the crap out of the Bucks, but he wanted no part of OC. I was dying.

· Best Post Machine
567 Posts
So many guys nowadays can do all the flips and all the moves, and so can he. But his character is basicacally someone who gives so little of a shit about everything that he puts about 1% of effort into anything.
That's a lot of it right there. Fans have seen a million flips, so when guys like Cassidy or MJF no-sell it, they pop harder than if they'd seen a flippy dive.

That should tell people something.

· Registered
7,908 Posts
It's a gimmick wrestler, cheap pop stuff. And it's good, and over. It's Scotty 2 Hotty with the worm or Al Snow with Head. WWE fans complain all the time that there's none of the entertaining stuff going on but this is exactly that, just a simple wrestling meme that's over right now. Eventually he'll have to wrestle because it'll lose its shine.

· Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,680 Posts
Don't hate him. Don't love him. I think they're sacrificing a more consistent sports vibe to their show by showcasing him so that's bad. He's over, so that's good.

His gimmick will get old and lose steam pretty fast. They should use him like a modern day Hurricane. Give him a couple of big moments, maximize his value and then ditch the gimmick when it starts to value soon after

· Lets go to the old mill anyway, get some cider!
15,016 Posts
Here's the deal with Orange, he has the potential to be a huge star cause his gimmick is so over and his indifference appeals to a large segment of today's youth.

The debut episode was a clear indicator when 15k people gave him a monster pop and to that point he was merely more than a YouTube oddity to the mainstream audience. Plus the dude can work but that's part of his appeal, when that moment he finally snaps happens it will be the loudest reaction to anything we've seen in AEW yet.

· Banned
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
What I don't understand is: why is Jake Hager hated by a lot of people while Cassidy seems to be liked by a lot of people when both look pretty similar with the same haircut and Hager is bigger and looks more imposing/like a wrestler than Cassidy? Hager also comes off as someone who doesn't care or at least that's what they seem to be aiming at with his character.

· Registered
488 Posts
What I don't understand is: why is Jake Hager hated by a lot of people while Cassidy seems to be liked by a lot of people when both look pretty similar with the same haircut and Hager is bigger and looks more imposing/like a wrestler than Cassidy? Hager also comes off as someone who doesn't care or at least that's what they seem to be aiming at with his character.
I mean, it's two characters going for different things.

Hager is supposed to be big muscle back up for Jericho. He's supposed to be a big, mean, imposing threat not to be taken lightly.

OC is supposed to be funny. Get a pop from the crowd. It's all about the gimmick and wrestling kind of comes second (for now).

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.