Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok enough with these worst reign threads how about a best one . What in your opinion is the best world championship reign in the history of the WCW and WWE . It can be long or short but please provide a reason as to why you picked that reign .

Mine is Rock title run into wrestlemania 17 simply because he won it of an amazing match with Angle then was apart of the biggest feud in wrestling history for me ! As you can tell I am a huge rocky mark and that build up to his mania 17 match with Austin was probably one of the greatest build ups of all time .

Honorable mention goes out to Steve Austins heel run as champion up until he lost it to angle . Some of the best matches in his career were fought during that period

what is yours ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Re: What is the best World Championship reign in the history of the wwe and wcw ?

I like the Stone Cold 2001 pick. I'll throw a couple out there:

1) Triple H, not sure if he won it for a 3rd time in the last Raw of 99 or first of 2000 but he beat Big Show, beat him again in another Raw (I think), beat Foley in two epic matches at Rumble and NWO, beat Benoit in Benoit's first WWE match, beat Rock and Show in a great 3 way on the Raw before WM16 and to top it off retained in the 4 way at WM 16 when EVERYONE thought Rock would win. Made Rock's win at Backlash epic. Has a heel champion ever been so dominant?

2) Rock from KOTR 2000 - No Mercy 2000: Defended against Benoit numerous times, 3 way with Angle & HHH, 4 way with Taker, Kane & Benoit and a lot of fun matches with other guys.

3) Brock in 2002 - Just crushing everything and everyone.

·
The Loose Cannon
5,833 Posts
Re: What is the best World Championship reign in the history of the wwe and wcw ?

Stone Cold first run as WWF champion from Wrestlemania 14. My Hero!

·
Registered
57 Posts

Agree with a poster above, Triple H's dominant run.

·
Banned
5,274 Posts
Best World/WWE championship reign in history?

Saw the worst thread, and I was going to comment there about how Kurt Angle's long reigns of the early millennium really pissed me off. I never wanted someone to lose so much. But then I thought, well then he did a pretty good job as a heel, and perhaps that was one of the best reigns then.

So who do you think had the best reign? Who best face reign and who best heel reign?

I nominate Kurt Angle in the heel category.

EDIT: Just noticed another similar thread like this which I hadn't noticed. Maybe a merge is in order, mods?

·
Banned
6,530 Posts
Re: Best World/WWE championship reign in history?

JBL's run was epic.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts

I don't know about the BEST reign, but 2000 saw 2 great runs eith the belt. First, Triple H's run. He defeated Big Show to win if and then defended it against Cactus Jack in two amazing matches (and an amazing feud) which flowed SO well into a feud with The Rock. Great booking during that period.

The other was Kurt Angles first reign. At first I didn't like it. But the way he was winning his matches got him over so well as a heel and as a new main eventer.

·
Banned
2,080 Posts

WWE - HHH's reign.

WCW - Hogan.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

JBL's run was epic.
you mean pure shit. i dont think austins fist 2/3 runs were that big it was more about the chase with him. rock had a good reign hhh angle benoit taker kane. oh yeh hhhs second reign was made of gold.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

JBL's run was epic.
you mean pure shit. i dont think austins fist 2/3 runs were that big it was more about the chase with him. rock had a good reign hhh angle benoit taker kane. oh yeh hhhs second reign was made of gold. dont remember much of kurts reign but his matches with rock were epic.

·
Banned
5,274 Posts

The other was Kurt Angles first reign. At first I didn't like it. But the way he was winning his matches got him over so well as a heel and as a new main eventer.
Exactly. He had legit threat plus the skank tactics of a heel. The more I think about it, the more I wonder how I could have contemplated it as one of the worst reigns.

I'll also add Jericho's undisputed reign, though mostly for the way he won it. He beat the Rock with a chair shot, the Rock taunts him about using the chair straight after the match, and then instead of being hurt by the taunt, he picks up the chair and holds it aloft in celebration. Pure gold, pure Jericho.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

hogans but he never wrestled but when he did he would loose a lot of matches his reign in total was epic though and set up the sting match nicely.

·
Banned
561 Posts

i thought the rock's wcw title reign was amazing, he had some of his best matches during the span IMO

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

i liked benoits reign he had hhh hbk kane he was still a monster and orton.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts

Triple H World Heavyweight Title reign 2002 comes to mind.

Also JBL in 2004.

I admit I wasn't an AE kid so I don't know much about the title picture back then.

·
Registered
23 Posts

ultimate warriors because it was unexpected he would win, may not have been epic afterwards but he was my fave wrestler as a kid whilst everyone i knew liked hogan

I've also enjoyed brets intercontinental title reigns and matches he put on because that was the more interesting title to me at the time in the early 90s

more recently punk, but more so the excitement at his first winning it and the edginess he had leading into the cena match and the unpredictability it revitalised my love for wwe and made many causals i know take notice, but since its just dwindled away into what wee was like before his promos and nothing changed really

I'm looking forward to the chance of brock getting it as i miss what he brings to the wwe

also always love when a heel is champion i think a heel holding the main belt for a long time would be a nice change, a hated champion can be as good for business as a loved one perhaps because people tune in to see them lose it

·
Registered
7,581 Posts

I don't usually like face runs too often as i much prefer the good old fashioned face chasing the heel for the title storyline so for me the best WWE/World title reigns would be by a heel. I absolutely loved Ric Flair's first run in WWE back in 1992 in between The Royal Rumble and WrestleMania 8, Shawn Michaels as leader of D-Generation X in between late 1997 and WrestleMania 14, Triple H almost anytime in between mid 1999 and mid 2000, Kurt Angle in between late 2002 and WrestleMania 19, Brock Lesnar from latter 2003 through to No Way Out and the majotity of the time either Edge or Chris Jericho were champion.

A lot of it comes down to who the face chasing after the WWE/World title is because if it is someone i really get behind then it makes it more enjoyable so i would have to probably have to go with Shawn Michaels in between Survivor Series in 1997 and WrestleMania 14 because it was Stone Cold Steve Austin chasing my other favorite or Triple H in between mid 1999 and mid 2000 because he had Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Rock and Mick Foley all chasing him.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts