Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
At most I see him defending the title a couple of times at smaller shows like Fyter Fest. He's not going to have a lengthy reign. I doubt he even defends it once if he even wins at all, which isn't a guarantee.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Jericho has proven time and time again that he can reinvent his character, he can still work even in his 50s.

He can't be that bad considering every major promotion in the world wanted him and has successfully headlined the biggest promotion in Asia and the hottest promotion in North America.

·
Registered
21,414 Posts
Chris Jericho vs Adam Page for the first belt is just stupid as hell. I mean the first champion is either going to be an over the hill 50 year old vet being who can't keep up with the talent in ring, or a guy who's only in the main event because he's close friends with the higher up. They're doing a lot right from production, promoting, and DoN was enjoyable. But they're lucky they have goodwill with hardcore fans, because this is the type of shit that'd normally be killed.

The first champion should've been Omega plain and simple. This is them making a WWE style mistake of fucking up something that was way too simple, out of the gate. They silliest part is they're doing Omega vs Moxley anyway, but instead of for the prestige of being the first champ, it's for basic you attacked me.

·
C Mac G
5,965 Posts
Omega ABSOLUTELY should not have been the first champion. The money in Omega is in the chase, and that chase should be built up through television. Omega was at his hottest during his 2 year IWGP title chase in New Japan, and it kind of mellowed out after he won the title(not to say his reign was bad, but definitely not as epic as the chase).

Jericho should win the title, fuck the talk of him being old and washed up, his character work is top notch, and he still is having good matches, guys like Undertaker, Goldberg, Batista even Triple H these days are washed up. Jericho's body of work over the last 18 months has been incredible, the match against Omega, the matches against Naito, Omega match at DoN was good too. The Okada match wasn't amazing, but it was still good.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Chris Jericho vs Adam Page for the first belt is just stupid as hell. I mean the first champion is either going to be an over the hill 50 year old vet being who can't keep up with the talent in ring, or a guy who's only in the main event because he's close friends with the higher up. They're doing a lot right from production, promoting, and DoN was enjoyable. But they're lucky they have goodwill with hardcore fans, because this is the type of shit that'd normally be killed.

The first champion should've been Omega plain and simple. This is them making a WWE style mistake of fucking up something that was way too simple, out of the gate. They silliest part is they're doing Omega vs Moxley anyway, but instead of for the prestige of being the first champ, it's for basic you attacked me.
You’re overthinking it.

·
Registered
21,414 Posts
Omega ABSOLUTELY should not have been the first champion. The money in Omega is in the chase, and that chase should be built up through television. Omega was at his hottest during his 2 year IWGP title chase in New Japan, and it kind of mellowed out after he won the title(not to say his reign was bad, but definitely not as epic as the chase).

Jericho should win the title, fuck the talk of him being old and washed up, his character work is top notch, and he still is having good matches, guys like Undertaker, Goldberg, Batista even Triple H these days are washed up. Jericho's body of work over the last 18 months has been incredible, the match against Omega, the matches against Naito, Omega match at DoN was good too. The Okada match wasn't amazing, but it was still good.
That's because NJPW fucking ruined Omega and Naito's momentum because they had to push Okada. Them aside Omega should be first AEW champ because that's making a real statement about it being a real alternative and being something different and fresh. If I'm not a hardcore wrestling fan that's itching for any wrestling I can find, why would I stop to see a Jericho who's best days are clearly behind them.

The money is in not having viewers first view of your champion being an old Jericho. Jericho is just as washed up as the guys you mentioned. He can't keep up with anybody he's wrestling. The only difference between Jericho and the guys you named is Jericho has always been a hardcore favorite.

You’re overthinking it.
Nah I'm calling it how it is. Neither Jericho nor Page should be their first champion ones too old and washed and the other isn't ready.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
It's possible that TNT requested Jericho be the star they program around initially. He is familiar and he's got a good reputation with the hardcore audience that is going to provide a backbone for this thing. It's pretty smart to make him a focal point out the gate.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Omega would have been a fine choice as the first champion. Page isn't ready and Jericho is Jericho, but they have options. I'm switching my brain off for this as best I can and just try and let them tell me a story.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The fact of the matter is that Omega definitely should NOT be their first champion. Omega will certainly be the guy but he needs to be slowly introduced to the overall North American market. How do you do that? You feud him with the hottest wrestler in the industry in Moxley. People who dont know about Omega but know who 'Dean Ambrose' is are going to tune in to see what this is all about. Omega is a great worker but him as a wrestler is going to take time to get over with the mainstream audience. meanwhile Jericho is established and will be a major pillar as they go into TV. It makes the most sense to have him bring up Page in their matches to establish a full level of top teir talent for TV. You cant just give Omega winning away right away, it needs to be worked up to if he is going to be the guy. And while doing that yo need to bring up other guys so that he has competition to sell shows. Time will tell that this is the right approach

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Building him up lets someone else get over more by beating him.

·
Banned
8,928 Posts
One simple fact, he has a better character than anyone in wwe and is a main stream leader in wreatling. He redefines himself every promotion he goes in.

Plus tonys a mark for him lol,so thats also a big one

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Kenny isn't as well known to Western fans. And they want to attract as many people to their product as possible to start with. Using this idea, it'd even make more sense to put the title on Moxley before Kenny TBH.

So let Kenny feud with Moxley, who IS known more to Western fans and build up his profile for awhile and THEN have him win the title.

Also it gets around the potential complaints of The Elite "only pushing themselves."

·
Registered
21,414 Posts
The fact of the matter is that Omega definitely should NOT be their first champion. Omega will certainly be the guy but he needs to be slowly introduced to the overall North American market. How do you do that? You feud him with the hottest wrestler in the industry in Moxley. People who dont know about Omega but know who 'Dean Ambrose' is are going to tune in to see what this is all about. Omega is a great worker but him as a wrestler is going to take time to get over with the mainstream audience. meanwhile Jericho is established and will be a major pillar as they go into TV. It makes the most sense to have him bring up Page in their matches to establish a full level of top teir talent for TV. You cant just give Omega winning away right away, it needs to be worked up to if he is going to be the guy. And while doing that yo need to bring up other guys so that he has competition to sell shows. Time will tell that this is the right approach
It's a silly approach because if Jericho is your first champion you're telling folk "hey this 50 year old who's past his prime is the best one on our roster". If I've never watched wrestling the dad bod guy barely keeping up probably isn't the ideal champion to present. If I'm an old fan who's truly out of the wrestling bubble is dad bod Jericho who isn't as good as I remember, who's the champion no less really a great look?

You want to show people how new and different you are you go full steam ahead out the gates with Omega. You do that by presenting and showing why he's considered one of the best, if not the best professional wrestlers in the world. You don't do that buy immediately establishing in your company where wins and losses matter, that this Jericho is better than Omega.

Jericho has his place and I agree he can bring up Page. It being for the belt is when I think it's silly. If Jericho is truly a draw, he doesn't need the belt first title match should've been Omega vs Moxley plain and simple.

·
Bless you.
1,791 Posts
The message is simple.

Even Jericho that was the face of WWE and one of the most known superstars moved to AEW.

We are talking about a guy that his net worth is 18 million dollars and has more than 3 Million followers in twitter and Instagram. Ofc the appeal is there, only a fool can't see it.

·
Registered
21,414 Posts
The message is simple.

Even Jericho that was the face of WWE and one of the most known superstars moved to AEW.

We are talking about a guy that his net worth is 18 million dollars and has more than 3 Million followers in twitter and Instagram. Ofc the appeal is there, only a fool can't see it.
He has 3 million followers on Twitter and I'm sure just as much on Instagram. Yet not one of the AEW videos about DoN on YouTube pages directly connected to the company have over a million views. So if he can't even bring them a million views on YouTube how many folk do you think will be turning in on TV because Jericho is there?

61 - 80 of 114 Posts