Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
16,745 Posts
AEW is already starting to feel like WCW and TNA by having Chris Jericho be the main focus of the promotion. The fucking guy is in his 50's and looks horrible. He has a massive beer belly, is in terrible shape, and never drew a dime in WWE, and yet THIS is the poster boy of the fucking company. He's declined tremendously in the ring as well. It's bullshit and Jericho has always been insanely overrated.
Your credibility was already ruined on the second and third sentence but anyhow you do realize that most of the talent in the AEW roster is still young and in their Prime right? Btw...since u want to speak about older people I think the other company that you're probably also fan of has way many older people that are headlining and hogging up. How about young grey haired Shane o Mac? Or them 2 youngsters who recently headlined of Goldberg vs Taker? Anyhow, age isnt an issue persay..it varies person to person. Flair still had some descent shit even within a decade or so ago. Jericho could do promo circles in his sleep around many of today's younger stars.

·
Premium Member
8,251 Posts
AEW has had ONE SHOW.

Seriously, at least wait until they are on TNT and have a lengthy run before you make judgement calls.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
In-ring Jericho is running at 60%, outside of that .. he's running at 100%.

·
Banned
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
AEW has had ONE SHOW.

Seriously, at least wait until they are on TNT and have a lengthy run before you make judgement calls.
They've had two shows and a third one already announced.

If I'm new to wrestling and I see an old, fat, drunken, slob as the centerpiece of the company, more than likely I'm not going to be interested. Jericho should be not be in a top position in AEW. It's that simple.

·
Registered
390 Posts
AEW has had ONE SHOW.

They've had two shows and a third one already announced.

If I'm new to wrestling and I see an old, fat, drunken, slob as the centerpiece of the company, more than likely I'm not going to be interested. Jericho should be not be in a top position in AEW. It's that simple.
AEW sold out All Out in 15 minutes with Jericho in the main event so you're in the minority when it comes to not being interested.

Nobody is saying Jericho should be the main guy for the long term but he is legitimising AEW in the eyes of the casual fan, and in the eyes of TV executives. No TV Channel is bending over backwards for a wrestling show in a prime spot featuring Kenny Omega as the main guy, or else NJPW would have had bigger success when they began making in roads in America. But a wrestling show with Kenny as a top guy featuring Jericho is going to be in demand, made clear with the early successes AEW is having.

·
Ω Champion
4,092 Posts
It's not bait, it's fact. You're trying to create a new product as an alternative to the WWE and present yourself as hip and cool. You don't accomplish that by having your FOTC be a washed up, 50 year old, with an evident drinking problem, and a huge sagging beer belly and fat drooping from the sides of his tights.
Jericho matches with Kenny,Naito and Okada blows any WWE Main Roster match from the past 5 years. So yeah, it's a bait.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
WWE's FOTC is a woman who calls herself "the man".

And speaking about Jericho. He is not the FOTC. He is the main villain. And that's the great thing.

Who will be AEW's FOTC? The guy who beats Chris Jericho.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
Phee,I always read your rants and I kinda get a kick out of you. For some inexplicable reason you put everyone and everything on blast. Charlotte one day,Becky the next and now Jericho. No one's safe.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
AEW is already starting to feel like WCW and TNA by having Chris Jericho be the main focus of the promotion. The fucking guy is in his 50's and looks horrible. He has a massive beer belly, is in terrible shape, and never drew a dime in WWE, and yet THIS is the poster boy of the fucking company. He's declined tremendously in the ring as well. It's bullshit and Jericho has always been insanely overrated.

It's a new start up company with a lot of wrestlers from Japan or Indies that a lot of people never heard of. Having Jericho in the ring with these gives them credibility. Other wise they would just be like say ROH with wrestlers as champions people don't know and on TNT.

First of all Jericho is 48 and two years ago he was one of the most over guys on WWE roster with his list. Heck he beat Kevin Owens just a few months after he lost Universal Title. Not to mention Jericho at his age is still solid in the ring. Yes he's not what he was or at top level. But hes not bad like most guys at older age are. For example Foley/Sting were much worse 10 years ago feuding over TNA title.

So now people will tune in and see Jericho and say oh I know him. Then say oh he's wrestling Hangman Page, that guys cool. Same thing goes for Kenny Omega. A lot of WWE fans will turn on the channel and say oh hey there's Dean Ambrose being called Jon Moxley. Then they will say oh that's Kenny Omega I heard that name before.

In a year or so the company will likely use Jericho to put over a lot of talent. But for right now he and Jon Moxley give these AEW wrestlers credibility with WWE audience. It's same thing say ECW did making Terry Funk World Champ trying to get some of WCW or WWE audience. So doing this with Jericho makes perfect sense right now. WCW and TNA problem is they did it with a bunch of old guys at top of the card and weren't start up companies anymore. Now if AEW is doing this 3 or 4 years from now with old wrestlers. Then I can see complaining. But guys like Hangman Page, MJF, Moxley, Cody, Pac and Omega are all young or early to mid 30s.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ok fantasy booking (my favourite). If Jericho is the first aew champion, who is his first challenger?? They have left the door open for Moxley, Cody and of course Omega. I think they should strike while the iron is hot with Moxley. I am not a huge fan of shuffling the belt for talent to talent but Moxley has exploded the past month.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Ok fantasy booking (my favourite). If Jericho is the first aew champion, who is his first challenger?? They have left the door open for Moxley, Cody and of course Omega. I think they should strike while the iron is hot with Moxley. I am not a huge fan of shuffling the belt for talent to talent but Moxley has exploded the past month.
I say the title should go from Jericho (who feuds with Page, Cody, and perhaps Omega again. They could Jericho a stable of misfits like Sunny Daze and Darby Allin to fight against the Elite founding fathers). Then Mox as the lone wolf tweener finally “saves” AEW from Jericho and his group. This gives him fuel for his rivalry with Omega with Mox claiming that Omega and the other Elite guys couldnt get the job done and it took him to save their company from Jericho. Then after a decent run Mox should drop it to Omega. During Omega’s reign the Elite should implode with Cody getting corrupted by his power and branching off with his nightmare family group (MJF should be set up to be the breakout star of the group) which culminates in Cody dethroning Omega. Then hopefully after a decent run Page is established/over enough to be in position to take the belt from Cody.

That right there could be the first 2-3 years of the promotion... giving plenty of time to build new contenders (MJF & Page should be priorities), sign more guys (I’m really hoping they can grab Jacob Fatu) and establish a respectable initial lineage for the AEW title.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Im not making any judgments yet
This is best to do. I actually do get OP's point, BUT they don't have any mainstream recognizable guys. Jericho fits the bill since fans will remember him from the Attitude Era.

Attitude Era. That is the problem, but that is another thread completely.

The Attitude Era became a thing because Hogan and WCW were recognizable first with the NWO. Hogan helped legitimize the "New Generation" in Razor and Diesel who were NOT drawing as Hogan did when he was in the WWF.

The problem is Jericho was never a huge draw who could change the tide. They have to take it nice and slow, but at the same time they got to do things with a bang to get people to notice them.

So far, they have done a decent job. We shall see though come September when the real test comes.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
I say the title should go from Jericho (who feuds with Page, Cody, and perhaps Omega again. They could Jericho a stable of misfits like Sunny Daze and Darby Allin to fight against the Elite founding fathers). Then Mox as the lone wolf tweener finally “saves” AEW from Jericho and his group. This gives him fuel for his rivalry with Omega with Mox claiming that Omega and the other Elite guys couldnt get the job done and it took him to save their company from Jericho. Then after a decent run Mox should drop it to Omega. During Omega’s reign the Elite should implode with Cody getting corrupted by his power and branching off with his nightmare family group (MJF should be set up to be the breakout star of the group) which culminates in Cody dethroning Omega. Then hopefully after a decent run Page is established/over enough to be in position to take the belt from Cody.

That right there could be the first 2-3 years of the promotion... giving plenty of time to build new contenders (MJF & Page should be priorities), sign more guys (I’m really hoping they can grab Jacob Fatu) and establish a respectable initial lineage for the AEW title.
This is actually what I had in mind. Something very similar. I love the idea.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Right is this not the part when the OP starts going on about "indy geeks", "vanilla midgets", "flippy guys" and how Roman Reigns is the answer to all of wrestling's problems but it's because of "da smarks" that he isn't a megastar like The Rock and Austin???

21 - 40 of 114 Posts