Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For example some people say Hogan passed Rock the torch at Wrestlemania 18 but Rock was already a massively over superstar and a successful top face.

If anything that match made Hogan relevant again after being absent for years and plus he won the undisputed title.

I think Rock/Lesnar Summerslam 2002 is a better example of "passing the torch" and elevating someone.

I don't think you can "pass the torch" to someone if they already established.

·
King James
24,706 Posts
It's just a phrase (figuratively) meaning one person relinquishes "the top spot" to someone new or different.

Some people think Hogan “passed the torch” with Warrior, Goldberg and Rock. It’s just another saying for “put over” imo.

·
Recognize
21,503 Posts
HHH to Cena marked the passing of the torch from the older guys of the AE into the newer guys of today. While Trips lost to Batista the year before, they never out and out said Batista was THE man the way they did with Cena. Trips tapping to Cena at Mania 22 told the world that Cena was there to stay. Also, Trips was the face of the company up until that point and their main point of reference for most things. Cena took over that mantle in 2006 and has stayed in that role since.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
some PTT moments for me would be
hulk hogan to warrior WM 6

Bret ptt HBK

HBK to stone cold WM 14

HHH and HBK putting over benoit

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The top star of one era relinquishing the top spot to the leader of the new era. Like Hogan to Warrior, HBK to Austin, HHH to Batista and later Cena.

·
Registered
9,547 Posts
An overrated term and probably one of the silliest wrestling cliches ever.
This, and what even more funny than this cliche is the people who don't even know what it means.

Rock/Lesnar - passing the torch
HBK/Austin - passing the torch
Hogan/Goldberg - passing the torch
HHH/Cena - passing the torch
Hogan/Warrior - passing the torch

that's it.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This, and what even more funny than this cliche is the people who don't even know what it means.

Rock/Lesnar - passing the torch
HBK/Austin - passing the torch
Hogan/Goldberg - passing the torch
HHH/Cena - passing the torch
Hogan/Warrior - passing the torch

that's it.
I agree

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
For me 'passing the torch' means the biggest star going up against a newer younger star and taking a secondary role not just on the night but for the forseeable future.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
when an established superstar loses to a hot (by hot i mean someone who is pretty much over before being in themain event spotlight , like austin was in 1997) wrestler that is good enough to start his own era

hogan to warrior was the best example of passing the torch .. so was rock vs lesnar

but losing to an established wrestler who has 10 world titles and has been the top guy for many years isn't called passing the torch

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
HHH must have a bit of torches, he put over Batista, Orton, Cena, Benoit, and soon Punk.

·
Banned
281 Posts
HHH must have a bit of torches, he put over Batista, Orton, Cena, Benoit, and soon Punk.
I know you meant that to be funny but its actually true.

the reason is they havent made any credible new stars who can carry the show except for Cena & orton.

So they still need Triple h do the job & since he is a overrall better talent than cena & orton ,as for as a feud is concerned , a win against HHH matters big time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts