Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Stomping Scrawny Vanilla Midgetesses
4,302 Posts
For the Lesnar set, if you want a Lesnar one, I actually think the SummerSlam 2003 one is the easiest to watch, without it being a lot of time.

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,403 Posts
For the Lesnar set, if you want a Lesnar one, I actually think the SummerSlam 2003 one is the easiest to watch, without it being a lot of time.
I probably find the WM19 mstch rather underrated tbh, but yeah if one doesn't wish to sit through the one hour iron man match every time they want to watch an Angle/Brock match, the Summerslam one is more than likely the one to gravitate towards.

Oh look, here's my review of it #CheapPlug :side:

http://www.wrestlingforum.com/columns/2132761-brock-lesnar-vs-kurt-angle-summerslam-2003-a.html

·
Premium Member
17,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Re: What isKurt Angel's best WWE match?

Smackdown Iron man match vs Brock is one of the greatest matches of all time full stop. The story leading in, double turn throughout fued, story told in ring etc
Yes! I choose this and the below. I preferred this one and I'm very happy with the rec
Best match? against The Rock at No Way Out 2001 or Summerslam 2001 against Stone Cold.

Best story he ever had is obviously the Triple H/Stephanie Mcmahon-Helmsley love triangle in 2000.

How they didn't continue the story and have Angle as undisputed champion going against a returning Triple H in 2002 is beyond me, especially when it worked best with Angle as the heel and Triple H as the babyface, while Jericho/HHH worked best with Jericho as the babyface and Triple H as the heel.
I watched summerslam 2001. While not the best wrestling match, full heel/Babyface was awesome. I was very dissapointed with a dq ending, after all the shit that happened. But i enjoyed it

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
To me his best match was the one with Benoit in Royal Rumble 2003.

That was prime Kurt Angle at his best.

The match with Shwan Michaels in WM 21 is another favorite of mine, but the fact that lazy Angle used this match as a template for every single title match since 2007 devalued it.

·
Wicked World
5,772 Posts
In no particular order:

vs. Undertaker (No Way Out 2006)
vs. Chris Benoit (Royal Rumble 2003)
vs. Brock Lesnar (Either WM XIX or Smackdown Iron Man 2003)
vs. Steve Austin (SummerSlam 2001 or Unforgiven 2001)
w/Chris Benoit vs. Edge & Rey Mysterio (No Mercy 2002)

Those are the ones currently on my mind. It's been a long time since I've watched Angle/HBK from WM XXI or Vengeance 2005, so I can't rightfully remember how much I liked or disliked the matches enough to include it on here. Unfortunately, Triple H & Angle never really had a match that I'd consider great. Versus Edge it's been a long time watching those matches so can't include them here either yet.

·
Stomping Scrawny Vanilla Midgetesses
4,302 Posts
I probably find the WM19 mstch rather underrated tbh, but yeah if one doesn't wish to sit through the one hour iron man match every time they want to watch an Angle/Brock match, the Summerslam one is more than likely the one to gravitate towards.

Oh look, here's my review of it #CheapPlug :side:

http://www.wrestlingforum.com/columns/2132761-brock-lesnar-vs-kurt-angle-summerslam-2003-a.html
Underrated? I know WrestleMania 19 is considered an underrated show, but most of Brock Lesnar's rivalry legacy boils down to Kurt Angle, which means that they mostly likely jump right to the WrestleMania match.

Also there is a botch in that match, like I do enjoy that match but I seriously often WISH that SSP had landed, this was like talked about in dirt sheets a lot that "oh god Lesnar used to do this mean SSP in OVW, he needs to do it here, omg". Then he wiffs it at WrestleMania. That match could have been perfect, it's like some of those MITB matches where Shelton Benjamin whiffed this possibly awesome spot at like WM25, like ugh, if that one thing just went right, uggggh.

Also, Kurt Angle is hurt and while you don't know this very well watching it, it's a slowdown that is there.

I pick the SummerSlam match because watching Brock Lesnar now adays with no sports entertainment theatrics and alignment mannerisms and watching Paul Heyman be less animated as a manager, it's like the apex of Brock Lesnar doing the exact opposite.

He has to actually do heel work, work body parts, cheat, implement interference theatrics and it helps knowing that the body of Lesnar is attached to a being that is more invested (or is forced to be more invested because he's young and can't say no to particular things) is working that match. Lesnar's versatility in his older matches cannot be underestimated and it's even greater when he's a heel during those periods. It's also great knowing he has to do more theatrical spots with weapons and HE CAN'T say no to it. Wonderful feeling.

Also Kurt Angle playing babyface works out better this way for that reason.

So I feel like the SummerSlam match is the definitive perfect match because it tells a complete story, with no botch and more necessarily sports entertainment aspects mixed in, as well as Kurt Angle at 100%. If anything I find the SummerSlam match underrated because, everyone seems to go to the WM match for a lot of rivalries series in general if there is one.

His Ironman match work does showcase that a lot, (probably some of the best psychology for an iron man match ever in terms of working the score system) but it is very long so it's not the go to Angle/Lesnar match of course. :)

·
Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
33,403 Posts
Underrated? I know WrestleMania 19 is considered an underrated show, but most of Brock Lesnar's rivalry legacy boils down to Kurt Angle, which means that they mostly likely jump right to the WrestleMania match.

Also there is a botch in that match, like I do enjoy that match but I seriously often WISH that SSP had landed, this was like talked about in dirt sheets a lot that "oh god Lesnar used to do this mean SSP in OVW, he needs to do it here, omg". Then he wiffs it at WrestleMania. That match could have been perfect, it's like some of those MITB matches where Shelton Benjamin whiffed this possibly awesome spot at like WM25, like ugh, if that one thing just went right, uggggh.

Also, Kurt Angle is hurt and while you don't know this very well watching it, it's a slowdown that is there.

I pick the SummerSlam match because watching Brock Lesnar now adays with no sports entertainment theatrics and alignment mannerisms and watching Paul Heyman be less animated as a manager, it's like the apex of Brock Lesnar doing the exact opposite.

He has to actually do heel work, work body parts, cheat, implement interference theatrics and it helps knowing that the body of Lesnar is attached to a being that is more invested (or is forced to be more invested because he's young and can't say no to particular things) is working that match. Lesnar's versatility in his older matches cannot be underestimated and it's even greater when he's a heel during those periods. It's also great knowing he has to do more theatrical spots with weapons and HE CAN'T say no to it. Wonderful feeling.

Also Kurt Angle playing babyface works out better this way for that reason.

So I feel like the SummerSlam match is the definitive perfect match because it tells a complete story, with no botch and more necessarily sports entertainment aspects mixed in, as well as Kurt Angle at 100%. If anything I find the SummerSlam match underrated because, everyone seems to go to the WM match for a lot of rivalries series in general if there is one.

His Ironman match work does showcase that a lot, (probably some of the best psychology for an iron man match ever in terms of working the score system) but it is very long so it's not the go to Angle/Lesnar match of course. :)
Well I find a fair few people not rating the WM match too highly tbh, hence why I called it underrated as most people prefer their other matches :p Which I do to but I still rather like the WM match for what it was. So I classed it as rather underrated.

But the strengths in their rivalry obviously lie in their Summerslam and SD matches.

·
All good things must come to an end.
14,111 Posts
His match vs Brock on SmackDown will forever be my favourite. The fact we got that match on Free TV :monkey I'm a sucker for Iron Man matches as well, I love how gruelling they are.

Just so fucking good on so many levels.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts