Wrestling Forum banner

81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
All these indies, vanilla, flippers, spotters etc matches are bad. One of the two has to be a superstar like Lesnar or Reigns to carry them to a good match.
Lmao yeah, reigns the fantastic worker who does a jumping punch like 6 times a match. His best move is slapping his arm really loud on a uppercut. WOW he is just so great!!

·
Joshi Judas
427 Posts
This is how I always feel about AJ matches.

Every big match just feels flat. I can't explain it.

He's a great talent and I always look forward to his matches, but then they are just average.

Perhaps it's because he can never really carry a feud? Boring on the mic and lacking personality? the Wrestling is really only half of the presentation. Same goes for Ricochet.

Also doesn't help that AJ has an non exciting finisher.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Lmao yeah, reigns the fantastic worker who does a jumping punch like 6 times a match. His best move is slapping his arm really loud on a uppercut. WOW he is just so great!!
Look in the thread. Most believe AJs best matches were with Reigns and Lesnar.
And Lesnar best match since he came back was with Reigns in Wrestlemania.
He's not a flippy floppy or technical wrestler but his match psychology, selling etc are one of the best.

·
TAFKA KroKro
2,685 Posts
Re: What is it about AJ Styles matches that are not clicking when should be huge matches

I woke up on the wrong side of the multiverse it seems. Aj fucking styles is a bad worker now?!
This entire forum is loaded with contrarians and cynical people who treat this hobby far too seriously despite getting burned by a shitty product. Don't even trip.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
AJ was a great performer in TNA / Impact but I've gotten the feeling we're getting small fish in a big pond now. He came to the WWE too late to make a big of a splash as he could have.

He could also use a good rival to give him a boost. I'm trying to think of who he could build long term heat with. The Miz came to mind but I'm feeling he's drifting towards part timer. Same with Orton or Bryant. I'd like to see a long term rivalry not these 3-5 week long ones we've been getting. Kofi isn't the guy. NO FORMER Shield members; I'd rather see The Rock or Cena make another cameo appearance to battle AJ. I'm just not sure who I'd put up against him that would bring it in the ring as well as on the mic.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The guys on here calling AJ Styles a bad worker... you guys kill me sometimes. Bruce Blitz made a good comparison, AJ Styles is the Bret Hart of this generation. One of the absolute best wrestlers ever but not a lot of charisma. He's still one of my all time favorites.

AJ Styles is an objectively phenomenal wrestler it's not even debatable. Perfect execution of every move, great athletic ability, clean smooth, great technical ability. The man probably has the ability and talent to match anyone ever in the history of the business in any style of wrestling. He's not even in his prime anymore but he's still better then most of everyone in the business.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,550 Posts
The big thing is the best Styles matches in WWE are the ones that were truly important and had a story behind them beyond just "I'm gonna out wrassle you".

His series with Cena and Reigns are his best work in WWE. Not matches vs guys like Rollins or Ricochet.

A match for the sake of a match between two bland characters with little at stake just doesn't feel special or important.

Counterpoint: when was the last truly great main roster match?

NXT has them *every* TakeOver, but the people agenting the main roster matches suck at it. Everybody on the MR is boring, save for perhaps Brock.
Its the lack of storylines. The Main Roster provides everything that people love in matches thesedays; no selling everything, stupid spot after stupid spot, zero in ring psychology, spamming super kicks, spamming suicide dives, flips for the sake of flips. The issue is that all of it is pointless and meaningless because WWE have lost the ability to tell a story and construct a feud.

·
None. More. Hated.
6,528 Posts
The guys on here calling AJ Styles a bad worker... you guys kill me sometimes. Bruce Blitz made a good comparison, AJ Styles is the Bret Hart of this generation. One of the absolute best wrestlers ever but not a lot of charisma. He's still one of my all time favorites.

AJ Styles is an objectively phenomenal wrestler it's not even debatable. Perfect execution of every move, great athletic ability, clean smooth, great technical ability. The man probably has the ability and talent to match anyone ever in the history of the business in any style of wrestling. He's not even in his prime anymore but he's still better then most of everyone in the business.
Hart had loads of charisma compared to AJ. Fuck outta here. I like AJ, but outside of Bullet Club the guy is just really dull. They were finally doing something different with him when he punched Vince, but then he just went back to same old AJ. Im glad Gallows and Anderson get on TV now, but honestly this club stuff seems forced and offputting to me.

Like I said. AJ needs a good 4 or 5 months off TV. Hes just overexposed and oversaturated throughout the product. Him with the US belt doesnt even make sense. Give it to someone like Corbin or Andrade who can build credibility with it. Who cares about an AJ Styles US title defense in the year 2019? Zzzzzzzzzzz.

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,108 Posts
This is the internet so he's either consistently amazing or consistently garbage, right?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Here is the thing...

Wrestling is ultimately storytelling. The match is 1 part of the story. The other parts are the angle, how its booked, the promo's around it, etc. Wresting is at its best and most memorable when all of those things work together to tell a story the fans connect with and care about.

For better or worse, modern WWE usually makes a mess of the angles, booking and promos. That just leaves the match.
One of the issues with many of the matches in the WWE is that while the work-rate is excellent they come across as a buncha moves strung together rather than a story being told.
Thank you couldn’t have said it better myself.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts

Hart had loads of charisma compared to AJ. Fuck outta here. I like AJ, but outside of Bullet Club the guy is just really dull. They were finally doing something different with him when he punched Vince, but then he just went back to same old AJ. Im glad Gallows and Anderson get on TV now, but honestly this club stuff seems forced and offputting to me.

Like I said. AJ needs a good 4 or 5 months off TV. Hes just overexposed and oversaturated throughout the product. Him with the US belt doesnt even make sense. Give it to someone like Corbin or Andrade who can build credibility with it. Who cares about an AJ Styles US title defense in the year 2019? Zzzzzzzzzzz.
I never said Hart did not have charisma but he wasn't the most charismatic guy back then in comparison with other guys on the roster. He was well above everyone in the ring though. That's where the AJ Styles comparison comes from, what he lacks in charisma he more then makes up for it by being one of the best ever as a wrestler. And that's not to say AJ Styles has no charisma he can be very funny when he wants to be, he is not a terrible talker, he can be menacing when he wants to be as a heel.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Let me start of by saying I couldn't care any less about Styles or Bryan, but how the fuck is Styles bad in ring or has bad matches yet Bryan is good? All Bryan does are fucking kicks, I honestly will NEVER understand how is Bryan considered good in ring, he is boring as hell.

Styles on the other hand is pretty decent, and has decent moveset, but then again anything is better than 177 kicks.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,897 Posts
People are going to think I'm trolling, and I'm honestly not, but I think The Miz is a better worker than AJ Styles. I don't think Miz is good either, but AJ is a 20 year novice.
You're not trolling. I disagree, but I can see how someone could make a case for Miz. That said, how many genuinely excellent matches has Miz had?

·
My mom thinks I'm cool.
2,108 Posts

·
THE CORPOLUTIONSTRY
1,994 Posts
Its the lack of storylines. The Main Roster provides everything that people love in matches thesedays; no selling everything, stupid spot after stupid spot, zero in ring psychology, spamming super kicks, spamming suicide dives, flips for the sake of flips. The issue is that all of it is pointless and meaningless because WWE have lost the ability to tell a story and construct a feud.
I agree with your general point about the storylines, but I still maintain that there's a huge problem with how matches on the MR are put together. If you compare any two pure wrestling main events from NXT and the MR - let's say Cole/Gargano at XXV and Styles/Rollins at MitB - you'll see two match structures so different that it's almost night and day. There's no world in which Styles and Rollins would work a match that slow and with that many rest spots if they weren't under someone's thumb.

Main roster matches all have this problem - they're being put together by old agents who haven't worked a good match in decades. No shock that whenever the main roster does manage to produce a really fun match, we find out that Tyson Kidd was the primary agent behind it. There's a hustle to Tyson's matches, and a hustle to most NXT matches, that is otherwise completely absent on the main roster.

Much like the production issues can be blamed on out of touch old clowns behind the camera, the ring work issues can be blamed on the agents who put structure these matches. It's yet another symptom of WWE's inability to let go and allow their talent to shine on their own merits. It's not the talent. It's almost never the talent with this company.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts