Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Greek God of Knowledge
7,097 Posts
Re: What is it about AJ Styles matches that are not clicking when should be huge matches

How many actually remember the Orton vs Styles match at WM35? By the time half the ppv was done the match was already forgotton about.
I do, and I still think it was one of the best matches on the show. And I remember the matches with Joe too, which were also great.

Don't know why people continue on with this idea that those matches weren't great because they didn't contain high impact, fast paced action and multiple near fear fall false finishes. Not all matches need that and AJ understands that.

·
Registered
24,457 Posts
Re: What is it about AJ Styles matches that are not clicking when should be huge matches

I think last year it was a case of his face run growing stale. Nakamura didn't really put in his best work.

But I liked the matches with Joe,the matches with Bryan were great besides the Rumble one, and since MITB with Rollins and turning heel, I think he's been really good.

The matches with Ricochet both at ER and Summerslam were really good.

·
Premium Member
2,612 Posts

For me he's still one of their best workers and he has had some great matches throughout his WWE career (Cena, Reigns, Bryan, Rollins etc) but for me personally I think it just comes down to age. AJ isn't getting any younger and he's in a position to be set for life and he may feel like he doesn't need to try so hard all the time and honestly that's fine. He's had great matches in both TNA and NJPW and people can always go back and see him to see what a 'phenomenal' worker he was.

·
Baby Yoda
29,816 Posts

Phoned it in and isn't getting the big matches in the top spot anymore.

Doesn't help that he's working a slower and grounded style when today's crowds are all about high spots and action since the storytelling is non existent or abysmal at best in the company.

Limb work isn't going to get over with today's WWE crowds, especially when there is no heat or storyline for a match.

An AJ Styles vs Richoet match should be a 15-18 minute sprint, not 15 mins of limb work to ground Ricochet's high flying. This is what fans most fans expected, to those who know how the company structures this match this is hardly surprising. A slow match that too between two high flyers doesn't get over when there is no fan investment or real animosity in the feud. It's not like AJ isn't a high flyer himself and isn't capable of working at a fast pace.

I get the impression they've told AJ to stay away from the high flying because it was difficult to get the crowds behind the babyfaces when he was heel last time. Either that or it's starting to take a toll on his body and he's protecting himself.

·
Fearless University Graduate
15,531 Posts

As inconvenient as may be to some Pro Wrestling is about more than just moves. It's drama, it's storytelling, it's good vs bad. It's no surprise that AJs standout matches are vs Reigns and Cena when those feuds had the necessary drama and story to invest in which makes the matches important, and thus makes the matters better.

If you can actually emotionally invest into a match in any way, if you can buy into a match and care about the winner it's going to be a much better match as a result. So often now there's all these matches like AJ vs Seth that so many hype up because on paper it should be a great match. Two talented ring workers going at it, yet there's very rarely a positive buzz afterwards because the fact its just a match, just a collection of moves instead of a story means there's no real connection.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts

It's odd that his best series of matches in WWE were with Cena and Reigns, two people that apparently can't wrestle.

He had a great match with Nakamura in NJPW, but two years later their matches were forgettable, is that due to the WWE and the way the agents layout the matches? It's not just him, Seth & Dean who had great matches with each other before, totally bombed at TLC last year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
AJ was actually having amazing matches in 2016. But I can’t think of any great matches since. The matches with Balor and Lesnar were pretty good, but nothing special.

Maybe age is catching up to him, or he’s gotten complacent and uninspired. Maybe he was still in NJPW form when he came to WWE in 2016, and years of being on the main roster have diminished his skill.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts

His had fine to great matches. The nak matches were more on nakamura the guy has been phoning it in for ages cause he didn't join up to have fantastic matches. The Bryan matches were good. Ortons match was good.

AJs old he doesn't have to pull out regular top notch performances. But you give him the right opponent he can deliver

·
Registered
5,439 Posts

For me he's still one of their best workers and he has had some great matches throughout his WWE career (Cena, Reigns, Bryan, Rollins etc) but for me personally I think it just comes down to age. AJ isn't getting any younger and he's in a position to be set for life and he may feel like he doesn't need to try so hard all the time and honestly that's fine. He's had great matches in both TNA and NJPW and people can always go back and see him to see what a 'phenomenal' worker he was.
Exactly. He put in a big shift against Cena, Reigns, Brock early on in his initial WWE contract and got paid royally for his extension. Your own fault, that you were still watching (and complaining about) WWE, when the real show was going on elsewhere.

·
The Babyface of WF
12,490 Posts
Nonsense from haters aside.

He's had spectacular performances with Roman, Cena, Brock, Dean before but has had a lack of chemistry with guys like Owens, Ricochet, Screws over by shitty finishes until he finally got that standout match with Nakamura, Joe.

His Workrate may have regressed a little over the years and is no longer hitting his old sick high spots incorporated in his arsenal, Now he relies on a more Technical Catch as Catch can style primarily to carry through his matches, His storytelling is fine, His Ring IQ is solid.

I think some people may have let the hype get to them a little.

·
Premium Member
3,541 Posts

It's because WWE'S storytelling has been shit since he joined them. They don't make you care about anything and that's across the board. Not just AJ. They turned an incredible match with Nakamura from Wrestle Kingdom to a nut shot spot. It the stupid writing.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts

It's bound to have average matches.
AJ is one of the best ever in-ring performers, it really shouldn't be questioned.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts

What a weird few days.

First Rollins, now AJ.

Everyone has their off match, the person they don't click with, etc.

But to say AJ is a "shit worker"...

:done

Reactions: Lord Trigon

·
Registered
10,150 Posts

AJ has had some very great matches but again it does depends on the booking of the match and the chemistry he has with his opponent.

FastLane 2016-Vs. Chris Jericho
Payback 2016-Vs. Roman Reigns
Extreme Rules 2016-Vs. Roman Reigns
MITB 2016-Vs. John Cena
SummerSlam 2016-Vs. John Cena
Backlash 2016-Vs. Dean Ambrose
Royal Rumble 2017-Vs. John Cena
WrestleMania 33-Vs. Shane McMahon
TLC 2017-Vs. Finn Balor
Survivor Series 2017-Vs. Brock Lesnar
MITB 2018-Vs. Shinsuke Nakamura
Super Showdown 2018-Vs. Samoa Joe
TLC 2018-Vs. Daniel Bryan
MITB 2019-Vs. Seth Rollins

His matches with Nakamura kinda dragged but Nakamura seemed like he wasn't that motivated, his matches with Samoa Joe were hit or miss & he did not work well with Owens at all. The matches above were just the ones that i remember, his WrestleMania match with Orton wasn't even that bad either. He was also able to pull a decent match out of Shane McMahon too.

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts

We agree on most things. Miz and somoa Joe in this instance. But like you said, I dont think one match is going to sway your opinion. For what it's worth, aj faced Suzuki in the g1. I'm not for certain which year, but I think aj only competed in the g1 one time. I feel like aj showed great psychology in that match. Even to the point where the match was finished. He still sold his arm while struggling to do his glove taunt. It was great stuff
I tried to watch it. Got bored to death halfway through, turned it off. Suzuki would occasionally do the odd nice spot, AJ was no different than usual.

·
Registered
908 Posts

:lol fair enough. Doubt I could think of a better example if I tried

·
Asuka
96,553 Posts

Like I said, he just absolutely sucks in the ring. There's nothing that's gonna change how I feel about that. The hysteria over his in ring work is even more baffling to me than the hysteria over Becky Lynchs promos.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think he would be better if he could help script his storylines. These writers are handicapped by a madman looking over their shoulder constantly. Still, AJ is miles better than Seth "Cuck Man" Rollins.

·
KO
5,430 Posts
I was just about to make this thread on Monday. I'm excited for most new matchups AJ gets, and they very rarely deliver this last year (?). It happened with Nakamura, Joe, Orton, Owens, Ricochet, all matches that should've been amazing.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Give hime a year in NXT. Your mind will be blown.

Very hard for a guy that works at his pace to deal with the slow and deliberate pace the main roster demands. Really handcuffs.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts