Wrestling Forum banner

What is Cole's character supposed to be?

3001 Views 38 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  SledgeHammer_Shot
I'm having a tough time figuring him out, its clear as day he loves everything and anything related to The Miz and Alex Riley, that part I get. The other parts though, little things I picked up on in his commentary like he seems to mostly root for the heels yet he tears into some like DiBiase and when a heel does something evil he'll usually go on about how he can't condone it and goes all quiet.

He'll go from bashing a face one minute to talking about what a great match they are putting on the next. He also seems to change who he marks for constantly, for example he use to praise Kofi and go all crazy with his "CONTROLLED FRENZY!!!!" now he always knocks the guy and calls him a life long contender. He even turned on John Cena recently

Also some other stuff like his weird interactions with Maryse...

Is he supposed to be supporting the heels or what?
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Premium Member
86,252 Posts
His character is great and it's not cookie cutter heel/face. Cole is playing his part perfectly and I love that he's not for all heels or all faces. It's very refreshing.

The antithesis of cliche` and I love that.

· Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
His character is great and it's not cookie cutter heel/face. Cole is playing his part perfectly and I love that he's not for all heels or all faces. It's very refreshing.

The antithesis of cliche` and I love that.
Yeah, I think its a good character too. What is it supposed to be though? just a play on internet marks who praise their favorites and knock everyone they don't like? or what?

What I don't like is how he disrespects and, in many ways, buries talent by mocking them. Him contently calling Daniel Bryan, a nerd, dork, and every other dumb insult in the world isn't helping anyone.

Also he took away from JR's return honestly with his constant douchiness

· Registered
1,997 Posts
He's the irritating, obnoxious, opinionated and self-obsessed face of "corporate WWE", rallying against everything the WWE fans think the fans would hate about them and going OTT with the support of wrestlers we're meant to find annoying.

· There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
19,974 Posts
He views himself as a "serious investigative journalist" whose job it is to tell us the way things actually are. I know there's been a lot of talk about how Cole's character is something of a self-contradiction much of the time, but on some levels, it's kind of borderline brilliant. Whether intended to be or not, WWE's foisting of Cole in this position has made it indelibly clear what kind of relationship a television viewer has with the individual(s) passing along information. The passive act of watching television, imbued as it is in accepting typically both visual and audio manipulation, makes it the most desirous home for someone with a god complex to inhabit. You can even suggest that in a peculiar way, Cole's character as it stands presently is a breaking of the fourth wall by WWE. Cole tends to support John Cena and WWE is actually allowing this characteristic to appear to stem mostly from what guest host Jesse Ventura spoke of over a year ago when he guest-hosted Raw, that is is partly WWE's mission to ensure that Cena is presented as the undeniable "company man"/"face of the WWE," to quote Batista a few months later. Yet Cole's love for Miz, however, is finally making Cole gradually shift in this regard, too, in opposition to the party line with which he's been trusted to spout for years on end now. A lot of Cole's character could be argued to have been there all along, but with the inception of NXT, which was a competition-based "reality show" in which the announcers noted the failures and successes of a group of rookies, the characteristics of his "heel character" were activated and allowed to be seen and heard by all viewers. And the turning point was also in large part his disdain for Daniel Bryan juxtaposed with what would seem to be an entirely sincere belief that Bryan's pro, Miz, is the "future of the WWE," and in this case, Cole is simply ahead of the curve in squealing over the "new mega-star" in the making before it becomes formal corporate policy. Because he's a brave investigative journalist and all. (And Miz's onscreen character permitted Cole's hidden attributes to be revealed, as Cole's sarcastic conceitedness mirrors his hero's.)

Cole's entire metamorphosis, or, as theorized above, revelation of character, has been unwieldy and sometimes downright irritating (WWE needs to get Cole/Lawler blown off pretty soon, as it's distracting from everything--since they're the voices we hear throughout the entire broadcast of Raw) but it's also been one of WWE's more slyly ambitious undertakings, whatever the motivation for it originally was.

Reactions: Shock

· Registered
2,345 Posts
I'm totally convinced that Michael Cole is a fucking douchebag in real life. No one can play a douchebag that well and not mean it...

· Registered
490 Posts
If he is playing a commentator who botches everything he says then yes he plays it perfectly. If he is supposed to play a retard then yes he plays it perfectly. If he is supposed to play a faceish heel then no.

· "MINUS FIVE STARS"
3,387 Posts
Yeah, I think its a good character too. What is it supposed to be though? just a play on internet marks who praise their favorites and knock everyone they don't like? or what?

What I don't like is how he disrespects and, in many ways, buries talent by mocking them. Him contently calling Daniel Bryan, a nerd, dork, and every other dumb insult in the world isn't helping anyone.

Also he took away from JR's return honestly with his constant douchiness
That's why Cole is doing an amazing job. He's picking up where Miz left off and slowly helping put Daniel Boring over.

· Just Remember
1,118 Posts
He's fantastic. The blind devotion he reserves for some stars, the sheer venom that he spews towards others (usually for totally arbitrary reasons) and his abrasive, insulting attitude towards... well, everyone who talks to him really. He's like a parody of an internet wrestling fan and it's getting everything that goes on a little bit more over. It's fucking excellent.

· Registered
184 Posts
He's heel. He loves heels especially The Miz and Vickie (W/ Ziggler). But sometimes he did cheer face or put over face when they win.

His character is great. It helps deliver story and make you hate him and the guy that he likes. The only problem is that he botches his line and knowledge about wrestling too often.

· Registered
1,687 Posts
Whatever his character is supposed to be, Cole is playing his role perfectly in that fans want to see someone shove their fist down his throat. That will come to fruition at WrestleMania when he is KO'd by Lawler.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.