Wrestling Forum banner

What is a wrestler's mindset when's he's about to have a match?

1866 Views 13 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  RiseAgainst
Something I've been wondering...what does a wrestler think of when he's about to go out and have a match? What's his goal?
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
1,209 Posts
Most good wrestlers will call a match on the fly, they'll go through some spots if they have any, but other than that it seems very casual.

I could imagine there are some anxieties for big matches but for the other stuff I would say it's just another day on the job to them.

· Premium Member
2,946 Posts
If they are booked to win: YAAAAAAY!!!!
If they are booked to lose: NOOOO!!!

· Registered
6,512 Posts
I'd imagine they go out to do what they're told to do and hit every cue, to get themselves over, to get their opponent over, try not to get injured, try not to injure their opponent, and attempt not to botch the important parts.

Ultimately, it's a job that they do every day, so nerves probably don't play a huge part of it unless they're naturally anxious at performing in front of crowds of that size, or maybe before the really big matches. It all depends on experience levels, I suppose.

· Registered
1,065 Posts
The great people are probably thinking in their characters mindset. Dolph Ziggler probably doesn't think"You have to look like a bad guy" he just plays his character

· Registered
3,204 Posts
The great people are probably thinking in their characters mindset. Dolph Ziggler probably doesn't think"You have to look like a bad guy" he just plays his character
Yeah for sure. I think when it comes to characters when they are out in front of the audience that is who they are. You gotta believe in it yourself if you expect others to.

As for match-mindset? From what I understand most of the newer guys' matches are set up by the agents. I would be willing to to bet that most of their match is choregraphed before hand.

You can really tell that things were totally set up before hand because when the new guys botch a spot they immediately try to go right back to it before moving onto the next spot...

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
some good answers here....

also, would you guys say that the main goal of a wrestler when he's about to have a match is to entertain the audience? (as in giving a four-star type of match)

· Registered
43 Posts
I guess that they hope they are working a good match

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.