Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Goldberg push happens a lot and gets stopped. It usually is made a big deal if a wrestler is undefeated. So, why not something different: why not have a wrestler go on a long winning streak but have it be in very competitive matches and downplay it completely.

Then, maybe several months into the streak, it's finally brought up as a major storyline after months of build and going under the radar.

Could it work?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
These days, the WWE are not creative, patient or intelligent enough to do that. Usually if someone is going to have a an undefeated streak they are already mentioning it after 2 or 3 matches.

·
Perry Karavello
602 Posts
I think Brodus Clay hasn't lost since he's been "funkasaurus".

I guess it would work, but undefeated streaks never do anything for me unless they're squash matches or look cool or something on top of just winning normal matches.

I know it's not real, so if a guy keeps winning, it doesn't matter to me if that's the only storyline.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
It depends, but I have to agree with both answers above, creative not smart enough. And it does nothing for me knowing its not an actual accomplishment, but for the marks and soccer moms, its a big deal, so for them I can say it could work. Problem is finding that go to Guy.. Goldberg had that look.. But there is something about ryback that I cant get too behind him, and I think it is his attire, I just dont like it. I think he was just fine with generic black.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
They did that with Umaga a few years back only because they wanted to make Cena look better as he was going to beat him.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think a big reason is the atmosphere of WWE in comparison to what WCW was during the Goldberg run. You gotta remember that at that time period WCW was formatted like a traditional wrestling promotion. Where you had a match format(rather than the WWF/E soap opera talk show format), with a sports like atmosphere.

Whereas with WWF/E it's this bright campy circus type of an environment. So you really can't get over wins and losses or anything that would be sports orientated as effectively as you could with a more traditional wrestling promotion format.

The last time off top of my head where WWF/E had that old time wrestling feel was with Tyson and Austin. Where you had that aura of realism.

But more times than not there's a reason why that Shamrock didn't get over as much as Goldberg did, or why The Road Warriors didn't get over like they did in the NWA days, or why Vader went from a killer champion to a midcarder.

If WWF/E did the whole undefeated streak at best it would get over about like the Tatanka undefeated streak.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would like to see it happen. What they should do, whoever they do this to, is to make sure the person holds out MVP style and make sure they can get a reaction from the crowd with promos before they do it. That way the crowd is invested in the person.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
It could work. Hell, Kofi had one hell of a streak going at one time, as a champion...that nobody noticed. It would have to be a guy who doesn't look imposing. Like Ziggler. The problem is that for the story to work it has to be defeated in purpose. Meaning that, you'd have to big attention to it by making it seem unimportant.

Example. One week his entrance happens during commercial. Next week, part of his match is interrupted by going to the back stage area for a breaking storyline like Kane attacking Cena or something. Next week, The focus is on a guy like the Miz's lose to the guy be part of a bigger storyline about the Miz losing. The next week, after the win, Laurinitis kicks both guys out of the ring for a more important announcement after the match. Next week, maybe a storyline wher he beats a champion by DQ or countout, not winning the belt. Through in a mixed tag match the next week. A match where he wins but is "injured" in the match so he misses the next week. Just more things happening week after week where his wins are over looked.

Then the point will come where it's all about picking the right time and feud to bring up that he hasn't lost in a long time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts